X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Digital (DSP) Speakers Versus B&W thinking about HTM1D

Well Guys its been a while since I posted, but would like to say Hi to All my friends on the Forum HI

I am currently pondering either changing all my speakers and going with DSP Meridian Speakers or staying with B&W and changing my HTM2D for a HTM1D.

The reason: I recently bought a Meridian 861V4 Processor and it just outperformed anything I have owned previously. so I am running a 808 CD meridian with a 861 meridian processor. I am so impressed with Meridian that I cannot help but wonder how their DSP Speakers work with their components. Meridian Owners rave about them.

The other side of the coin is that I am very happy with my 802D's run by McIntosh 501's using for the 1st time ever a Processor as a Preamp. You heard right, the Meridian 861 out performed my McIntosh C2200 as a Preamp and I sold it.

This is the thing. Meridian has a Proprietary Sound called "Trifield" where the Stereo comes thru the front 3 speakers and the Sub. It just sounds better than Stereo. I never went for SACD or DVDA but this is different, its not all around you its just in the Front.

This is why the second case scenario of an HTM1D as this fulfills and Completes the front 3 speakers upgrading the HTM2D to the 1D. That would be awesome. I wonder if my MC205 200 watt Amp would be enough for this speaker or would I have to reach in my pocket for an add'l 501.

Lastly my wife might kill me if she see's the size of an HTM1D come thru the door at 205 lbs.

Anyone compared the DSP speakers against B&W. If I ask at the Meridian forum you know what they will say. And If I ask here, I will get unbiased opinions ? Right ?? :rofl: :rofl: Just kidding
    Last edited by misterdoggy; 05 May 2008, 15:24 Monday.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Great to see you again, Misterdoggy. :T

Your system has changed somewhat. Congratulations! Awesome is the word. :T

I wish that I could give you feedback on Meridian DSP's but I can't. No experience of them. As a fellow 808 CD player owner I can only presume that you must feel very satisfied with this beautiful piece of hardware. Do you know that a version 2 has recently been released?

Regarding "Trifield", my opinion is that the best would be to have another 802D as a centre. For practical reasons this is not always possible. Next best would be to use an HTM1D due to the matching Marlan head. Third choice would obviously be the HTM2D & its matching diamond tweets ... however timbre matching could be a problem - no Marlan head. The thing to try to do is to listen to some setups. Difficult, I know.

Also great to hear your positive opinion on the 861 processor. At some stage I have to think about an upgrade myself. Not too much info about, so every opinion is valued.

Good luck & keep on enjoying.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

I have three 802D in the front driven by Classé and the sound is outstanding. I have been loking at Meridian as well but like the B&W/Classé sound better.
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by wettou
        I have three 802D in the front driven by Classé and the sound is outstanding. I have been loking at Meridian as well but like the B&W/Classé sound better.
        Wettou

When you say that you have been looking at Meridian.

Are you doing A/B comparisons. Have you gone and given the DSP's a listen. If yes which models have you listened to ?

802D's across the front plane is ideal, but I am curious to which speakers you've heard to come to this conclusion

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

I have listened to the Meridian DSP7000 and Meridian G61 Surround Controller and was truly impressed. But for my situation I couldn't have electrical plugs everywhere behind each speakers.

In addition, I wanted all speakers to be identical and I had already invested in 802s five years ago. So after listening to the 802D I decided to upgrade and know have 5 802 (3D and 2S) and am very happy with the sound driven by Classé.

Maybe in ten years I might go the Meridian route who knows!
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I have listened to the Meridian DSP7000 and Meridian G61 Surround Controller and was truly impressed. But for my situation I couldn't have electrical plugs everywhere behind each speakers.

In addition, I wanted all speakers to be identical and I had already invested in 802s five years ago. So after listening to the 802D I decided to upgrade and know have 5 802 (3D and 2S) and am very happy with the sound driven by Classé.

Maybe in ten years I might go the Meridian route who knows!
            I hear you man.....

I have 802D's and would have to change everything

The cool thing is no amps no wires everywhere smaller situation

I am thinkin hard about the htm1d as a center with the meridian processor

the trifield is awesome

Comment

• skuzzyb
              • Mar 2006

I actually have had the pleasure of listening to the Meridian digital speakers, this was coupled with the Meridian G68. It was on my short list when I was out trying to decide which way to go.

This is what I observed: The Meridian digital speakers reminded me of the Paradigms, very accurate, very clinical, very analytical. It was like I was taking measurements in an anechoic chamber (ok, I am stretching a bit here). It did everything that was asked of it but left me wanting. Not in a bad way, just different to what I was used to. I realized that they were not for me. The highs were crystal clear, excellent separation. I listened to Jazz, specifically Miles Davis and John Coltrane, Blues (Etta James, Muddy Waters,), Easy Listening (Norah Jones), Reggae (Bob Marley), Big Band (Chuck Corea Acoustic, Count Basie, and just general music I enjoyed such as Ray Charles, Nina Simone as well as some Orchestra, specifically the London Symphony and the NY Philharmonic.

So, what I did discovered was that the G68 did a great job separating the instruments. Cymbals were clear and siccinct, not in the least tinny, it had a weight reverb as they let the soundwaves travel across the cymbals. Bass and Cellos were right where they should be, overall it was a great experience and one that caused me to go back several times and listen over and over again. Off-axis listening I found a bit wanting, like everything else, there is a sweet spot but very little give within that spot I found (maybe the tri-field would help there). But overall truly enjoyable listening experiences.

So now saying all that you may wonder why I did not but the meridians, well, I can say that it they did not do it for me, I would say it listening was almost clinical, something was missing and to me it seemed like it was something that is inherent in digital processing, the ones and zeroes. In the end sound is analog and comes out as a sine wave not steps of ones and zeroes. The same thing that made the meridian set up so good was its downfall for me, I needed to hear warmth, to hear that elusive bloom that comes with a great piano, like the sound hanging in the air, suspended right at about 1.5 metres off the floor. I know it sounds a bit wacky but the Meridian just could not muster up that "soul" so in the end I decided to go with something I thought would give me that which was missing from the Meridian.

So, Mr. Doggy, I have not really answered your question but those were my observations. Good luck.

skz
              Last edited by skuzzyb; 06 May 2008, 01:14 Tuesday.

Comment

• jericho
                • Dec 2004

I've got the HTM-1D.First I powered the center with a MC-501, my fronts are 800D's with a pair of 1201's.I play a lot of surround so I changed my 501 into a 1201 too.This made a large difference.The HTM-1D likes lot's of power I can assure you!!!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

skz,

thanks for that in depth reply. I guess you are happier with Classe like I may be happier with McIntosh.

Jericho,

So the Htm1d needs power. I was thinking of using the mc205 and bi-amp (splitter) using 200w for the bass and 200x channel for the top.

Sounds Like it needs at least a 501, which means selling my 205 and getting something for the rear a stereo amp not that important and a 501 for the center.

More $$

Jericho

Do you know Mauro in Switzerland who has the same setup as you except the center is driven by 501. ?

Comment

• jericho
                    • Dec 2004

I don't know Mauro (Pictures???)
                    Go for the 501, as you already drive the fronts with 501.For the rear I would go with the Mc-252.I had a 252 on test to drive a pair of 805 in my 7.1 setup.Lot's of power.I gave it a try on my 802d's and it was not bad at all, the 501 on the 802 has more transparence, and at the bottom there is more power, tighter bass

Regards
                    Jericho

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                    skz,

thanks for that in depth reply. I guess you are happier with Classe like I may be happier with McIntosh.

Jericho,

So the Htm1d needs power. I was thinking of using the mc205 and bi-amp (splitter) using 200w for the bass and 200x channel for the top.

Sounds Like it needs at least a 501, which means selling my 205 and getting something for the rear a stereo amp not that important and a 501 for the center.

More $$

Jericho

Do you know Mauro in Switzerland who has the same setup as you except the center is driven by 501. ?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by jericho
                      I don't know Mauro (Pictures???)
                      Go for the 501, as you already drive the fronts with 501.For the rear I would go with the Mc-252.I had a 252 on test to drive a pair of 805 in my 7.1 setup.Lot's of power.I gave it a try on my 802d's and it was not bad at all, the 501 on the 802 has more transparence, and at the bottom there is more power, tighter bass

Regards
                      Jericho
                      I don't have fotos of Mauro's Setup but it is very similar to yours

I just measured the spot where a HTM1D could go and was amazed how big it is. It is actually almost 60cm high and 60cm in depth. Thats 20cm longer than the depth of the shelf it could go on.

The width is not a problem 100cm is normal but the depth and height are HUGE

this is going to be difficult to introduce to my wife who already thinks the HIFI takes too much place. This idea might be doomed.

I had no idea .....

Comment

• jericho
                        • Dec 2004

I don't have fotos of Mauro's Setup but it is very similar to yours

I just measured the spot where a HTM1D could go and was amazed how big it is. It is actually almost 60cm high and 60cm in depth. Thats 20cm longer than the depth of the shelf it could go on.

The width is not a problem 100cm is normal but the depth and height are HUGE

this is going to be difficult to introduce to my wife who already thinks the HIFI takes too much place. This idea might be doomed.

I had no idea .....
                        I can tell you that speaker is tremendous.That's why it needs a very big amp too. It's 93kg!!! Thats more than the 802D's.In fact he speakers and size of the cones are the same as the speakers from the 802D exept you have three bass cones from 8 inches

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

I can tell you that speaker is tremendous.That's why it needs a very big amp too. It's 93kg!!! Thats more than the 802D's.In fact he speakers and size of the cones are the same as the speakers from the 802D exept you have three bass cones from 8 inches
                          Its HUMONGUS

When you think that MOST of the information in home cinema and TV comes from the Center Channel it only makes sense that it should be the most important speaker.

And now with Trifield it makes it the clear choice.

But what about my wife. ??

Comment

• hifiguymi
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2007

I agree with skuzzyb on most of his assessment on the DSP speakers. I haven't listened to the DSP7000 or the DSP8000 but I'm very familiar with the rest of the line. I used to sell Meridian at a store I used to work at (and I still own a 565/562V.2 combo). A couple of the things I really like about the DSP speakers are they are very fast sounding and have great dynamics. The sound does tend to be on the cool and analytical side for some people and they do lock you in. If you want to change speakers you have to get amps as well and vice versa. It's not as easy as dealing with traditional hi-fi gear.

misterdoggy, since you have McIntosh and diamond B&W's my guess is you wouldn't like the DSP speakers. It is a totally different sound from what you have now.

I do agree with you that listening to trifield is much more enjoyable than just two channels.

Eric

Comment

• dmccombs
                              • Sep 2006

Its HUMONGUS

When you think that MOST of the information in home cinema and TV comes from the Center Channel it only makes sense that it should be the most important speaker.

And now with Trifield it makes it the clear choice.

But what about my wife. ??
                              Well, getting the right speaker is difficult, and the center channel is crucial for Home Theater. It may be easier to replace the wife. :rofl:

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                I agree with skuzzyb on most of his assessment on the DSP speakers. I haven't listened to the DSP7000 or the DSP8000 but I'm very familiar with the rest of the line. I used to sell Meridian at a store I used to work at (and I still own a 565/562V.2 combo). A couple of the things I really like about the DSP speakers are they are very fast sounding and have great dynamics. The sound does tend to be on the cool and analytical side for some people and they do lock you in. If you want to change speakers you have to get amps as well and vice versa. It's not as easy as dealing with traditional hi-fi gear.

misterdoggy, since you have McIntosh and diamond B&W's my guess is you wouldn't like the DSP speakers. It is a totally different sound from what you have now.

I do agree with you that listening to trifield is much more enjoyable than just two channels.

Eric
                                Trifield is superb. I never went down the SACD or DVDA path as I felt is was overwhelming for listening, but Trifield is Stereo just better.

glad for your input. And to see someone else with Meridian and Analogue and happy

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by dmccombs
                                  Well, getting the right speaker is difficult, and the center channel is crucial for Home Theater. It may be easier to replace the wife. :rofl:
                                  Thanks for the advice. :T

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Jericho

Here is Mauros setup

Attached Files

Comment

• jericho
                                      • Dec 2004

Jericho

Here is Mauros setup

Wat sort of McIntosh amp is the left one???

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

Wat sort of McIntosh amp is the left one???
                                        I know he had a 501 driving the center, but I'm not sure thats a 501 or something else like a 602 for rears

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Very cool, Center channel should be a the same level as L/R to get the best sound. I had a similar setup with 802 and HTM1 and changed for three 802D, whoa what a difference for both music and movies.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

Very cool, Center channel should be a the same level as L/R to get the best sound. I had a similar setup with 802 and HTM1 and changed for three 802D, whoa what a difference for both music and movies.
                                            Yeah but you have to have the head room to do that

I've no place Vertical to fit an 802

If I can sneak in the htm1D. I'm looking for one used but I think they are like Hens teeth.

Best price I got was $6000 excluding shipping of course

Comment

• wettou
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • May 2006

Yeah but you have to have the head room to do that

I've no place Vertical to fit an 802
                                              Yes I have a drop down screen that come right up to the top of the 802

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                • Sep 2006

Wasn't it hard to see the TV when you put a 802D in the center? :B

Most of us don't have a screen in our home theater so putting a 802D in the middle is a problem.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2007

Where are the speaker cables for the center channel in the pictures? It's not even hooked up.

Eric

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

it wasn't completely hooked up yet

Jericho he told me you guys switched pictures

He goes by the name Polyphonic

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
                                                      Wasn't it hard to see the TV when you put a 802D in the center? :B Most of us don't have a screen in our home theater so putting a 802D in the middle is a problem.
                                                      No TV just StewartFilm Screen Luxus A Electric so no problems!

Comment

• jericho
                                                        • Dec 2004

it wasn't completely hooked up yet

Jericho he told me you guys switched pictures

He goes by the name Polyphonic
                                                        Possible, I don't remember it!!I made a lot of contacts and friends and both forums (McIntosh and B&W).
                                                        Thanks for sharing pictures

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2005

Possible, I don't remember it!!I made a lot of contacts and friends and both forums (McIntosh and B&W).
                                                          Thanks for sharing pictures
                                                          He only speaks french & Italian. Maybe you met on the German market site.

He said you exchanged emails a while back. Je pense en Francais.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

The new problem is how to put a htm1d under the TV.

I have Glass shelving that goes up and down and can move it around all over the place, but I need 100 cm length 39 inches and 58 cm height 24 inches and 58 inches depth 24 inches. The stretch of 24 inches depth and height are the tough ones.

I was thinking of bridging 2 side cabinets with a common run across the top.

I'm just not sure its feasible. It may be that the htm1d is really ONLY meant for Screens that pull down or are on the wall as no fit in cabinet could this beast actually fit in

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"