What do you guys use to hold your microphone or SPL meter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I'm at the point where I'd like to have a good method to actually hold my Radio Shack analog SPL meter during my home theater calibrations. Also, my Parasound C1 processor has an auto-calbration microphone used for the same purpose that I'd similarly like to have securely held.

Do you guys use a tripod that screws into your SPL meter? Know of any product out there would secure to both the RS SPL meter and a microphone? How about a place to buy something like that?

I'm looking for something secure, not jury-rigged. Doesn't have to be professional equipment or anything, though.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • JürgenW
    • Jul 2004

I hold my analogue SPL meter in my hand, pointing upwards, in short distance to my face. Never thought about using anything else (than my hand).

(For calibrating with a microfone I would use a tripod.)

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I just hold the SPL meter in my hand, pointed up, in front of my face, far enough back so I can read it.

The only time I've used an auto-calibration with a mic is at customer installs (Denon 2805) and there I just put the mic on the couch. I tend to prefer manual calibration though, so it's back to holding the SPL meter in my hands.

A camera tripod will hold either the SPL meter or a flat mic (just balance it on the camera platform). If you're talking about a handheld mic, use a mic stand.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I have a tripod I use with my old slr 35mm camera and I set it up just between the two main seats in my theater with the meter sitting at ear height. I don't know if using a tripod is anymore accurate that just holding the meter, but I use it anyway.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Camera tripod for me, too. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

If I'm just balancing the levels in my HT, then I usually hold my RS meter in my hand.

I'll use a tripod if I'm looking at the FR in my room with test tones.
            Danish

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

I've used my hand and a tripod.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

You can get a boom microphone stand for about $20. It's important to keep the mic/meter away from your body or any boundry. Also handy for the nearfield (2" from dustcap) measurements that most people don't do.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I've just used my hands as I didn't have a tripod....now that I have one, I suppose I'd use it
                  Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

Indeed tripod for me that screws into the SPL meter. Initially, I was holding it away from my body pointing upwards about 30 degrees at ear level.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

The upwards angle is correct (if there is a correct..). Unless you have really high ceilings, I usually point the mic at the wall/ceiling seam.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

I should have said what I do now--what I'm trying to improve on. For years, now, I've held my SPL meter in my hand, arm outstretched, with the meter as close as I could approximate to where my head is when I'm sitting in my primary listening location. So that my body doesn't actually interfere with the soundfield during calibration, I hunker down behind the seat/couch as best I can, arm over the top or to the side, me peering barely over the seatback or to the side to read the meter.

I'm sure it would be quite funny to watch from a third-person perspective. It's pretty uncomfortable, though, and tiring during a long calibration session.

I'm trying to reach the next level of precision, though, and eliminate variances with my meter bouncing around at the end of my arm.

As far as the tripods go you guys are talking about, are they all camera tripods you use? Or other types? I don't know much about tripods--do they all come with a standard bolt on the tip you can screw right into the RS meter? You guys buy these anywhere special, or just a standard electronics store?
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Oh, and Thomas, what are these nearfield measurements you're talking about?
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• nba
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                            For years, now, I've held my SPL meter in my hand, arm outstretched, with the meter as close as I could approximate to where my head is when I'm sitting in my primary listening location. So that my body doesn't actually interfere with the soundfield during calibration...
                            For quite some time I have been doing similar acrobatics while holding the SPL meter until one day it stroke me that when I watch a movie or listen to music I’m present in the room and my body does interface with the room and the soundfield. So now I just hold the SPL or microphone for auto calibration in front of my face while occupying my usual listening position.

I have also tried to use my wife as a second "dummy listener" in the room during calibration but she can not keep it quite for the whole duration of the auto calibration, so I gave up with this idea.

As a comparison between being present or not during calibration I could say that the Parasound C-2 at least finds the exact same distance for the speakers in either case, while levels from the rear speakers are set 0.5db lower when I calibrate without me being present with regard to the levels I get when I am present. Of course that is the case for my room and I being there while calibration.

As for tripod, even one meant for cameras can be used and attach the mic with some rubber band or tape.

Niko

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Chris, the attachment screw on the RS spl meter is standard size , same as attachment screw on cameras, so pretty much any standard camera tripod should work. Just to be sure, you could take the meter with you when you go to buy a tripod and try it for size. What I like about my camera tripod is the little lever it has to adjust position of the meter.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Glen B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                                As far as the tripods go you guys are talking about, are they all camera tripods you use? Or other types? I don't know much about tripods--do they all come with a standard bolt on the tip you can screw right into the RS meter? You guys buy these anywhere special, or just a standard electronics store?
                                Try Radio Shack, only $29.99:

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Thnx, Glen, I'll go make a trip to the Rat Shack.

Originally posted by nba
                                  For quite some time I have been doing similar acrobatics while holding the SPL meter until one day it stroke me that when I watch a movie or listen to music I’m present in the room and my body does interface with the room and the soundfield. So now I just hold the SPL or microphone for auto calibration in front of my face while occupying my usual listening position.
                                  Actually, Niko, the reason that method isn't acceptable for A/V people is that you obviously can't substitute the SPL meter for your head, to occupy the same space, so by putting the SPL meter close, you are blocking a very good portion of the sound field from the SPL meter. You're right, in that ideal calibration would include your physical body sitting in the primary listening location, but the meter would need to be where your head is. With the SPL meter in front of your face, you're blocking the entire rear portion of the room reflecting sound back to the meter, and your head itself actually interferes with the meter readings.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• stewfoo
                                    • Jul 2005

Typically when calibrating my system I use a tripod. But, I make sure that the pole is lined with 60%absorbtive/40% diffusive Aurelex treatments. This done so that the pole is accoustically transparent and wont affect the accuracy of my Radio Shack SPL meter. :blink: :duh:
                                    Stew

Comment

• Clive
                                      Former Moderator
                                      • Jan 2002

Tripod
                                      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Well, RS was out when I went, so I went down the street and bought a small microphone stand for $34.99. Looks like it'll work just fine, and I like with the style of microphone stands that you've got the boom arm that can swing over something. This way I can mount the stand actually behind my chairs, and then use the boom arm to hold the meter or microphone right into my prime location.

The only non-optimal thing is that if you unscrew the little claw at the end of the microphone boom, the bolt underneath is a bigger size than standard for the SPL meter and cameras. Standard for microphone stands, though. I wonder if I can find some sort of bolt adapter so I can physically bolt the meter to the boom. Otherwise, I'll just tape it to the claw so it's secure.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Actually, if we wanted to get really picky about this, even with the SPL meter on a tripod in the right location you have to be up close to read it and thus you are affecting the readings by absorbing/deflecting sound. What we need is an SPL meter with a microphone on a cord that will let us read the SPL values from the tripod-mounted mic while we are located well out of the way (15-20'?).

Comment

• JürgenW
                                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                                            Actually, if we wanted to get really picky about this, even with the SPL meter on a tripod in the right location you have to be up close to read it and thus you are affecting the readings by absorbing/deflecting sound. What we need is an SPL meter with a microphone on a cord that will let us read the SPL values from the tripod-mounted mic while we are located well out of the way (15-20'?).
                                            I don't know it that is true, because in the real situation someone is sitting where the SPL meter is, so I favour holding the SPL meter in my hand.

Comment

• Azeke
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by JürgenW
                                              I don't know it that is true, because in the real situation someone is sitting where the SPL meter is, so I favour holding the SPL meter in my hand.
                                              It is true that someone will be sitting where the meter is located. However the readings will be affected because your body will absorb/deflect the sound readings, thereby providing inaccurate SPL calibration. Test it for yourself, I have done it with and without a tripod, and the readings are completely different. I enjoy my system just that much more with the readings done via the tripod. Just my $0.02.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• nba
                                                • Apr 2005

Do you point the SPL meter upwards or towards the speaker you are measuring?

Niko

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JürgenW
                                                  For accuracy, at that point the SPL meter should be positioned inside your head. :B

Comment

• JürgenW
                                                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Azeke
                                                    Test it for yourself, I have done it with and without a tripod, and the readings are completely different.
                                                    Azeke
                                                    That's my point, too. :T

Best regards,
                                                    Jürgen

Comment

• JürgenW
                                                      • Jul 2004

For accuracy, at that point the SPL meter should be positioned inside your head. :B
                                                      Yes, that's my ideal!!!

Jürgen

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2001

Hmmm, think I'll have the transplant done this weekend.
                                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

I posted this picture elsewhere here on the Guide in THIS THREAD

This is the microphone stand I bought and attachment I made to hold my RS SPL meter.
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Apr 2001

This could be a job for

SPL Dummy! He's in the same family as crash dummies, but is designed to sit in your seat, at correct ear to speaker level, with an SPL meter conveniently located in his forhead. Get just the right levels, and his eyes light up. (optional)

He can easily be outfitted in Dolby Digital T-shirt, and wear a DTS hat while not in measurement mode.

Oh, I gotchu good here. hehe. :rofl:
                                                            Doug
                                                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

BWAHAHAHAHAAA.... good one, Doug! You know, the funny thing is, I can actually see high-end A/V product companies putting out something like this. Call him "SPL Buddy". Configurable to your height, weight, and body size. When not in use as a SPL meter, you can stand him up in the theater entrance to hand out tickets, or to the side of your seats to hold your drink, or stand him in your rec room in a suit of armor.

When you're out of town, SPL Buddy is anatomically correct to keep your wife company. Works as a theft deterrent, too, giving thieves the impression that somebody is guarding your equipment.
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Apr 2001

SPL buddy. what a concept.

is anatomically correct to keep your wife company. HAHAHA, that could be to much information. lol.
                                                                Doug
                                                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JürgenW
                                                                  • Jul 2004

:B :B
                                                                  Great ideas!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"