X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turkish1480
    • Mar 2007

RCD-1072 vs. Rega Apollo

Has anyone A/B these two players on the same system so all else was the same except the player? I am putting together a system and have decided to go with a RC-1070 pre amp and RB-1080 amp and now I am wondering about a source. I have read that the apollo has a much nice bass section and larger soundstage. Any thoughts? Price is not an issue because there is only a $300 difference between the two.

Cheers!
  • sjf5552
    • Jan 2007

Yes I did.
    I currently have a RCC 1055. Great convienience with the 5 disc changer, but was looking for something better for serious listining. I demo'd the 1072 and the Rega Apollo side by side and bought the Apollo (2 month wait for silver). The differences were subtle, but the Rega is definately sweeter and less forward without loosing any of the detail. I gives vocals a less harsh or grating sound, but again, the detail is still there. Soundstaging is a little better also.
    I still have the 1055 as well as the Rega. Obviously the differences are greater between the 1055 and the Rega than between the 1072 and the Rega, but even my wife notices the differences.

Comment

• Turkish1480
      • Mar 2007

Thanks for the input

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

I've owned the Rega planet 2000 and the RCD 1072. The 1072 matches better with the Rotel pre. I believe that the Rotel + Rotel combo is hard to beat.
        The Rega might be a better player, but not better when paired with a Rotel pre.
        Greg

Comment

• sjf5552
          • Jan 2007

I own a Rotel 1068 Prepro in my system, and also did my side by side audition with the Rotel integrated amp at the dealer. I still preferred the sound of the Apollo as stated above. This was my preference. Always try to listen and compare for yourself.

Comment

• 8thDwarf
            • Feb 2005

I speak up for the 1072

I've had one for 23 months now,and can say it's smooth and detailed,and covers the cd frequency span from the lowest bottom to top without any hint of grain,or harshness of any kind.
            The sound stage has all dimensions and good depth, piano,voice,guitar,violin all can be reproduced with a fully holographic there-ness if the recording has it. It's weakness shows at moderate volumes in maintaining coherence with massed instruments or complex classical, it's a bit polite and could be more dynamic.
            The disc mechanism is very quiet,and the noise floor of the player is excellent
            considering an average price of $600 street $500 used not bad.
            I would like to hear an Apollo at length and feel it's stated attributes make it a top pick in the under $1k list of standalones.
            I think a person should look at the players with digital inputs or dacs with usb. Wish I had gone that route 2 years ago.
            The Rotel currently plays second fiddle to a media server/dac combo which is the way to fly.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"