X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turkish1480
    • Mar 2007

B&W 804S, Krell 400xi & Rega Apollo

Has anyone heard this set up? Will the Apollo calm down the upper frequencies of the B&W and Krell set up? I am a big fan of Krell and love the idea that two small pieces of electronic gear can be a true high end setup. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers!
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Don't own the Krell, but................I tried the Apollo with my 804s for a weekend, primarily because I could not get a hold of a Saturn for home demo (Brisbane is a Saturn free zone - no one keeps them in stock).

I had being living witha Nad T562 DVD as a source since I purchased my 804s last year, and I had just tried the Shanling T80 - which had an exciting dynamic sound but seemed to lack the focus I was looking for. By comparison the Apollo seemed very controlled and measured in its musical presentation. Unfortunately after the Shanling it appeared a bit lacking in dynamics. What I did notice is how amazingly unfatiguing is was after a long session comparing players, straining to hear every possible difference (When there are dollars involved I find that process a bit stressful) - then hooking up the Rega it was like taking a deep breath and relaxing- its a very natural sound. The highs were certainly more subdued (integrated?) in the mix compared to the other players. From all the reviews I have read it is the Saturn that does an even better job with the high freqencies.

(note: in a recent comparison of digital vs vinyl this was one of the interesting differences - digital had a tendency to compartmentalise the sound within the soundstage, the analogue sound did not have the edges that drew attention to each element, not unlike the Rega sound - hard to describe, you have to hear it by doing the comparison yourself)

Ultimately (for my ears) I found that the 804s deserved higher investment in the front end if I was to be free of the upgrade bug. Naim 5x almost got me there, adding the Naim power supply and a better interconnect got me the sound I was after.

I summary, Apollo & Saturn are both well worth an in home audition.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"