X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmcgowan
    • Sep 2003

Speaker Ideas - Australian view?

We're in the process of renovating a new (but quite old) home and the Treasurer has agreed to a better home theatre setup as part of the package :B :B

Posting in Club Rotel as I would love to hear people's views on speakers that match well with Rotel? Not going to buy based on this, but too easy to be constrained by what shops offer and not throw the net wide enough. E.g. the biggest Rotel store here is a Polk / Bose / Klipsch place...

Given a budget of about $10-$15k Aussie for a 5.1 (maybe 7.1 but don't think room needs) system - any ideas of brands worth looking at? The B&W 700 series seem to fit that price range and I'm sure Encel have something Klipsch like for that price. Assuming the Treasurer stays in spend mode, looking to have an RMB-1077 + RSX-1055 for the near term with the final HDMI incarnation of the 1068 at some stage in the future (assuming in 2008 that more HDMI compliant boxes with the new DD / DTS formats will be coming).

Appreciate any and all input on brands worth auditioning? From there the fun starts with the ears doing the real work...

Thanks,

Darren
  • Ted
    • May 2006

Darren,

Growing up I was always a Klipsch guy. Very efficient speakers and I always liked the sound, however I never really compared them to anything else for a long time. However, last year I became interested in B & W and bought some in November.

The system I bought is strictly 2 channel, B & W 703 run by Rotel RCD-1072, RC-1070, and a RB-1080. While there are a lot of members with far nicer systems here, I have been very happy with my Rotel and B & W setup.

So, my HT system consisting of Klipsch RF-5, RC-7, RS-25, and a Velodyne sub is run by a Yamaha receiver which I think I am getting close to replacing it with a Rotel receiver (I'm really happy with Rotel) and eventually maybe switching to separates. I'll stick with the Klipsch for now, but may feel the need (okay I won't need to, but may want to) to switch to some 700 series for the HT too.

While I don't have the Klipsch hooked up to the Rotel, when I bought the system, they had the Rotel components in and had to order the B & W speakers, so for fun I hooked the Klipsch up and, WOW :-y did they sound better!

So, I guess I'd recommend either of those brands. If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably go B & W and like I said, I may switch the HT down the road. Also like I said, I thought the Klipsch really came alive with the Rotel components (which were brand new and not broken in at all).

Probably not too much help there, but those have been my experiences with two of the brands you mentioned. Let us know what route you go!
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• calmac
      • May 2005

Originally posted by dmcgowan
      We're in the process of renovating a new (but quite old) home and the Treasurer has agreed to a better home theatre setup as part of the package :B :B

Posting in Club Rotel as I would love to hear people's views on speakers that match well with Rotel? Not going to buy based on this, but too easy to be constrained by what shops offer and not throw the net wide enough. E.g. the biggest Rotel store here is a Polk / Bose / Klipsch place...

Given a budget of about $10-$15k Aussie for a 5.1 (maybe 7.1 but don't think room needs) system - any ideas of brands worth looking at? The B&W 700 series seem to fit that price range and I'm sure Encel have something Klipsch like for that price. Assuming the Treasurer stays in spend mode, looking to have an RMB-1077 + RSX-1055 for the near term with the final HDMI incarnation of the 1068 at some stage in the future (assuming in 2008 that more HDMI compliant boxes with the new DD / DTS formats will be coming).

Appreciate any and all input on brands worth auditioning? From there the fun starts with the ears doing the real work...

Thanks,

Darren
      Hi Darren,B&W are an obvious choice for audition but have you considered any of the quality Aussie brands such as Whatmough ,Legend, Osborn or Krix.In theory the Australian brands can offer better value than the imported devices and sonically the are at least on par with the imported speakers.
      If the home grown stuff doesn't appeal I have had good results with Tannoy Sensys DC range and I am told the Monitor audio Silver series are a good match.Best thing to do is get some auditioning time under your belt even if you have to take the amps with you to stores that don't stock Rotel.
      Gordon

Comment

• dmcgowan
        • Sep 2003

Calmac,

Not really to be honest - hence the posting. When I first got into audio, listened to heaps of stuff at Encel and ended up with my Rotel Amp, Rega turntable and a pair of Cerwin Vega D9's (can not go past a big kick ass woofer and big black box ). Life was so simple then.

Had the D9's fiddled with and just added some Polks on special when we bought the RSX-1055. So really not as well read or researched on speakers at all. Not planning to spend that coin on Polks though...

Really just looking for some brands people liked and then I'll listen. The B&W703/4/5 etc seemed like the right sort of price range (well what i could get away with ) and so was wondering what else people would listen to usually.

My list so far:

O/S - B&W, Klipsch, Canton (Klapp seemed to like these?)
        Aus - Whatmough, Legend, Osborn & Krix

Cheers for the thoughts guys.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Do Encel sell Orpheus speakers ?

They are the best aussie made speakers I've heard.

check out the good reviews they get for music.

If you are after the concert like volume and bass perhaps the Cerwin Vega big driver thing is more your style.

Orpheus Aurora III's get my vote.

Comment

• dmcgowan
            • Sep 2003

The D9's were bought in 1989 when I was 22 and Powerslave by Iron Maiden was one of my demo discs...

Looking for something more than concert level bass these days. Mind you, the D9s still do work just fine on the odd occasion I'm left home alone and want everyone in an 800m radius to hear the opening riff of 2 Minutes to Midnight

Will check out Orpheus. Really looking for some good speakers to road test for a good HT room.

Comment

• bleeding ears
              • Nov 2004

dmcgowan, there are not a lot of reviews on Orpheus speakers but what there is is pretty positive. (check out current magazines)

The Orpheus website is not really the best site I have ever seen, however have a listen and let your ears be the judge, I am pretty confident you will hear something special with this brand.

I actually got to hear some Aurora III's at the orpheus factory/office, which were then compared to some $10,000 Duntech's using exactly the same setup in the same room.

The difference to me was small, just in favour of the Duntechs, but hey the Aurora's are one fifth the price of the Duntechs (which by the way are also distributed by Orpheus).

The Orpheus website says that Orpheus speakers are also available in Canada somewhere, but I am yet to hear of anyone from Canada that owns them. Perhaps someone knows of them over there and can join in here.

On another positive note, I have read comments on chat sites that suggest the Orpheus speakers compare well against B&W's and other popular brands.

Good luck and have fun with the auditions.

Comment

• calmac
                • May 2005

Originally posted by dmcgowan
                Calmac,

Not really to be honest - hence the posting. When I first got into audio, listened to heaps of stuff at Encel and ended up with my Rotel Amp, Rega turntable and a pair of Cerwin Vega D9's (can not go past a big kick ass woofer and big black box ). Life was so simple then.

Had the D9's fiddled with and just added some Polks on special when we bought the RSX-1055. So really not as well read or researched on speakers at all. Not planning to spend that coin on Polks though...

Really just looking for some brands people liked and then I'll listen. The B&W703/4/5 etc seemed like the right sort of price range (well what i could get away with ) and so was wondering what else people would listen to usually.

My list so far:

O/S - B&W, Klipsch, Canton (Klapp seemed to like these?)
                Aus - Whatmough, Legend, Osborn & Krix

Cheers for the thoughts guys.
                I used to work for the West OZ ,retail arm of Encel and so am fairly fammiliar with the stuff you are talking about.I to have an old pair of CV and yes the are great party speakers but as you say not what you want once your tates begin to mature . For a great deal of info on quality Australian speakers have a look at the Planet Audio forum , there are also quite a few B&W owners on there who will only be to happy to give advice.If you are in Melbourne the Osborn speakers are also worth checking out.
                Gordon

Comment

• Ferres
                  • Jan 2007

Look into some Aurum Cantus top models as well. Ribbon Tweeters.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

Darren dont forget to get back on here and let us know what you decide on or what you liked most, even if it takes weeks or months.

Its always interesting to know what other peoples choice of speakers, etc is after auditioning them.

Pete

Comment

• dmcgowan
                      • Sep 2003

Sure will. The guy who makes Osborn looks like a real purist - definitely going to trial that path. Thanks for everyone's input...

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Hi,

Consider Legend Acoustics Speakers... Winner of many awards (including Australian Loudlspeaker Manufacturer of the year 2006)... http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/ Try their Kantu, Kurre and Kurka (I know th names suck... Right up their with the B&W high end 700s and low end 800s in sound for way less dollars... Seroius ceramic tweeters and the same bass / mids as the Wislon Watt Puppy 7s. The owner / designer is Linn's ex speaker designer and has a damm fine ear...

Osbornes (as others have said) are also great but you need to spend more $ to get their higher end.

Geoff

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Hi Darren,

As well as B&W I would have a look at the Paradigm Studio range for front, centre and rear speakers. The subwoofer could come from a variety of manufacturers.

The Studio range provides good value for money in my opinion.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"