X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Klipsch Buys API

The Klipsch group has acquired the Canadian company Audio Products International, which is the parent company for the Mirage, Athena, Energy and Spherex loudspeaker brands. Earlier acquisitions by Klipsch included Mondial Designs, Jamo and Definitive Technologies.
    Hopefully that doesn't turn in to a melding that dillutes individual brands sonic characteristics. But on a good note, with Klipsch backing the smaller brands, they should have access to better distribution, more stores etc which is a positive for the consumer.
    Jason
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Good for Klipsch they deserve it after all these years. Actually, they might benefit from acquired technology!!! NEW BLOOD as they say!! NEW SPIRIT!!

Thanks for sharing aud19 !

Cheers!!

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

People everywhere (here included) speak of Klipsch as if they were some sort of loosers. Those doing so fail to acknowledge that Klipsch is the worlds #1 selling American based (North & South America not just US) speaker manufacturer. They currently rank #2 in the world overall. They are seeking to overtake B&W for the #1 spot worldwide.

The public has a lot to say about how everything turns out. Klipsch's infusion of capitol has helped Jamo deliver it's new series of super-speakers, if they sell well then we have voted positively for the change in ownership. I seriously doubt that Klipsch engineers need an infusion of technologies or spirit, they are very sophisticated already. It is my personal belief that Klipsch wants (and needs) to push beyond the limitations of it's horn technology without destroying the Klipschorn "image" or watering down it's heritage. Acquiring other brand names allows this to happen.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
        People everywhere (here included) speak of Klipsch as if they were some sort of loosers. Those doing so fail to acknowledge that Klipsch is the worlds #1 selling American based (North & South America not just US) speaker manufacturer. They currently rank #2 in the world overall. They are seeking to overtake B&W for the #1 spot worldwide.
        Not sure about the other stuff quoted above but B&W is not the number one selling loud speaker in the world (not even close when compared in dollars)

To refine the above a bit:
        B&W is an international brand, it does well in most world markets, especially Europe, Asia and North America... not always dominating those markets but certainly competitive and among the best selling (if you get my meaning)

Klipsch is a North American brand, they aren't exactly doing a bunch of business elsewhere, although I'm sure that's on the "list of things to do" while we're at it memorandum (so to speak) so in the very near future I would expect them to address European and Asian market needs...

I couldn't argue with the statement that Klipsch is Americas No.1 speaker world-wide, if you don't consider Bose to be an american company (?) and figuring that B&W is a British company

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

I just don't consider Bose relavent to this discussion...I said speaker manufacturer, not marketing organization.
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• chrispy35
            • Feb 2004

So which company IS the #1 selling loudspeaker manufacturer?

Chris P.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
              • Apr 2005

I just don't consider Bose relavent to this discussion...I said speaker manufacturer, not marketing organization.
              True,
              so I was gentle...

North American Sales go something like this...
              (Remember Computer and Pro-Audio Speakers)

#1 = Bose
              #2 = JBL
              #3 = Klipsch
              #4 = B&W

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                True,
                so I was gentle...

North American Sales go something like this...
                (Remember Computer and Pro-Audio Speakers)

#1 = Bose
                #2 = JBL
                #3 = Klipsch
                #4 = B&W
                Andrew,

I'd like to know what your source of data is. If you research further, you'll find your figures include a lot of stuff besides speakers. ie: does the ranking you list for JBL include all of Harman's sales or just JBL speakers? Are figures based on $$ amounts or number of units? or individual drivers if one includes automobile OEM? If you dig deep you'll find that the stats fall more in line with my original comments. Bose lists actual revenue for the entire company at $1.8 billion/yr which includes waveradios and headphones. Klipsch revenue sources or values arn't openly published but their acquisition abilities suggest revenues in the range of $3-5 billion/yr. Klipsch doesn't move many Aragon units anymore, so one needs to assume their income is derived mainly from speakers....yada yada yada.....
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

The public has a lot to say about how everything turns out. Klipsch's infusion of capitol has helped Jamo deliver it's new series of super-speakers, if they sell well then we have voted positively for the change in ownership. I seriously doubt that Klipsch engineers need an infusion of technologies or spirit, they are very sophisticated already. It is my personal belief that Klipsch wants (and needs) to push beyond the limitations of it's horn technology without destroying the Klipschorn "image" or watering down it's heritage. Acquiring other brand names allows this to happen.
                  [/QUOTE]

You just said it and contradicted yourself In you qoute above: I said they need NEW Blood to get a New spirit!! From an Infusion of new technology and cash, and in the same sentence you say " It is my belief that Klipsch wants and needs to push beyond the limitations of it's horn technology" In other words, they need NEW blood, New Spirit and a New infusion of cash and technology to come out on top again!! Plain English!! :E

My 2 cents

Cheers!!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

You missed my point. Klipsch has the talent and the spirit in their current engineering and development team. That team is being held back by the corporate Klipschhorn philosophy which will never change due commitments made by management to Paul Klipsch. No new blood or spirit needed the existing team just needs a new playground ie: brand names where they can develop in different directions.
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Thanks DrJrapp: Understood!!

Gotcha!! :T

Thanks DrJrapp for your explanation!! Now I get your point!!! :T

Hope Klipsch makes it big, as I still have 4 Klipsch speakers that I use for my disco room!! I love those Klipsch and they don't need No subs to get the best out of them. :T The B&Ws I have are for Music and HT sessions!!! ;x(

Have a wonderful day to you!!

Cheers

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                        • Apr 2005

Andrew,

I'd like to know what your source of data is. If you research further, you'll find your figures include a lot of stuff besides speakers. ie: does the ranking you list for JBL include all of Harman's sales or just JBL speakers? Are figures based on $$ amounts or number of units? or individual drivers if one includes automobile OEM? If you dig deep you'll find that the stats fall more in line with my original comments. Bose lists actual revenue for the entire company at $1.8 billion/yr which includes waveradios and headphones. Klipsch revenue sources or values arn't openly published but their acquisition abilities suggest revenues in the range of $3-5 billion/yr. Klipsch doesn't move many Aragon units anymore, so one needs to assume their income is derived mainly from speakers....yada yada yada.....
                        Jerry,
                        I'd like to know what your source of data is... :W

Bose sells more speakers than anybody else in North America, little plastic computer speakers, portable iPod speakers, Home Theater in a box, free standing, headphones, in-walls, on-walls, outdoor...

Speakers speakers speakers... they move boxes!

Thus:
                        Bose #1

JBL is very clearly the largest speaker company in North America that makes what most people think of when you say: "I just got some speakers"
                        Where they really move units is here:

Every auditorium, every stadium, every live PA system...
                        They had something like 85% of all live venues (that's ten year old data) speaker systems and PA systems... Impressive

Now check out their home stuff! (Yikes) it's everywhere...

And they do computer speakers like crazy, just read boxes at best buy in the computer speaker department and they make iPod stuff too!!!

JBL is HUGE in North America
                        Thus:
                        JBL = #2

The rest of it is information I’ve never heard or seen, as far as Klipsch being 3 to 5 billion dollar annual sales company...

-That would make them like 30 x larger than B&W and if that is the case, they are clearly the worlds largest speaker company by a long shot!

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

People everywhere (here included) speak of Klipsch as if they were some sort of loosers.
                          Just to clarify my comments were not meant in a negative way reflecting Klipsch, it's technology or it's operations. My concern was simply the same as when any major corporation starts eating up smaller ones. If not managed properly, it can have a negative, dilluting effect on brands individuality. Hopefully that won't be the case here and as I said with a larger dealer/distribution network the individual brands will hopefully flourish.

Otherwise lets just remember to keep things civil :T
                          Jason

Comment

• Snap
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2005

I found out about the buy out when I went to pay my Jamo bill and it said... "Klipsch" so being the guy that I am.... I call and ask... "Hey can I get Klipsch speakers now?" The answer...... NO!

Klipsch just had the money and like someone mentioned before they are wanting to get into the world market. Jamo happens to be the #1 sales leader of speakers in Europe. (Before any one ask I got this info from my Jamo Rep. So I am only repeating what he said.) So Jamo might help Klipsch out in the world market.

JBL I thought was #1 in the US. Due to the fact that JBL is really a WHOLE bunch of companies that we see floating around. And yes they are HUGE in the Pro Audio area. And they have a HUGE Movie Theater chunk of the market as well.
                            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Snap
                              Jamo happens to be the #1 sales leader of speakers in Europe. (Before any one ask I got this info from my Jamo Rep. So I am only repeating what he said.) So Jamo might help Klipsch out in the world market.

I didn't think Jamo was a European company anymore?
                              They have been making their speakers in China for years and years now...Same factory line as Totum...

I'm open to hear any corrections on that info...

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"