X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rajeshv_84
    • Nov 2011

Connecting LED TV and Laptop to Home theater

Hi All,

Please help me find a solution for my problem.

I have 3 items to be connected to each other. I have a Samsung LED TV, Sony Home theater (DAV DZ640K) and a HP DV4T laptop. I also have a HD Set-top box for watching HD channels.

I have connected my Home theater and set-top box to TV thru HDMI. The home theater transmits both audio/video thru HDMI if I play a DVD. But If I watch a HD channel thru set-top box i am not able to hear the sound from Home theater. So I connected the RCA cable from Home theater to Set-top box. Now i am getting the sound from home theater but not sure if it is digital. Now if i connect laptop to TV thru HDMI i am able to hear only TV sound though my TV shows that it is receiving from Home theater.

TV has below ports
    HDMI / DVI - 1
    HDMI - 3
    PC / DVI Audio In
    Component IN
    Digital Audio Out (Optical)
    Antenna In

Home theater has below ports

Audio In (Right / Left) - 1
    Antenna (Coaxial) In - 1
    Component Video - 1
    Video OUT - 1
    HDMI Port - 1

Set-top-box has below ports

HDMI port - 1
    Digital Media (Optical) - 1
    Audio IN (Left / Right) - 1
    Component IN - 1

What is the best solution to play 5.1 from both my STB and laptop or any other device i connect thru HDMI in future. Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Rajesh
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If your home theatre unit doesn't have some sort of digital audio input (HDMI, coaxial or optical) I don't think you'll be able to....?
    Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

What kind of receiver has Component input but no digital inputs? Never seen one..... gotta be digital inputs there somewhere.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hdale85
        What kind of receiver has Component input but no digital inputs? Never seen one..... gotta be digital inputs there somewhere.
        I googled the model # and it appears to be a HTIB (home theater in a box) system made for the Asian Pacific markets. A lot of these systems have minimal I/O connectivity. A similar unit I found a "rear panel" pic of on Google had an HDMI output, a composite video output, and only a pair of red/white inputs (or maybe outputs) to connect to a TV.

So, it is possible that Rajesh's system lacks digital inputs.

I think the only solution to get digital sound from your STB is to replace your HTIB receiver with a more capable standalone receiver and DVD/BD player.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Ahhh HTIB explains everything.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"