RSP 1066 getting tone controls thru multi??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenjudas
    • Mar 2005

RSP 1066 getting tone controls thru multi??

Hi there,apologies if this has been dealt with before but if it has,I couldn't find it
    I am sure I read somewhere on this forum that the only way to get pure 2 ch stereo with the 1066 was to go thru the multi inputs as the 1066 doesn't have the bypass feature that the 1068 has.So yesterday I swapped the cables over to the front L and R of the multi inputs of the 1066 and I still was getting action from the sub as well as being able to still use tone controls.Is this right or have I done something wrong? Cheers guys....Jeff
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

This is correct for the RSP-1066 and RSX-1055 - tone controls still function thru Multi-input.

Do not worry about the signal being compromised to create the sub output. A copy of the original signal is taken and used to generate the sub info.

Comment

• pbarata
      • Feb 2003

From what I know, analog CD input and multi inputs give you pure 2 ch stereo, enhanced with tone controls. To avoid the doubling bass efect, use the last firmware and in setup menu, make you subwoofer OFF for multi-channel.
      Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
      Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• greenjudas
        • Mar 2005

So in effect,there is very little difference[if any] by using the multi inputs for cd player 2 ch?I havent had the chance to listen much in comparing the two as yet, the only obvious difference I can tell at this stage is the sub needs to be turned up a fair bit to get it going when using the multi inputs

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Only the 1068 added 2ch analog bypass, the 1066 doesn't have this. And the 1066 does not allow you to disable the sub output on the multi-in's. You have to open the case and cut some resistors to remove this 'feature'

Kevin D.

Comment

• pbarata
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Only the 1068 added 2ch analog bypass, the 1066 doesn't have this. And the 1066 does not allow you to disable the sub output on the multi-in's. You have to open the case and cut some resistors to remove this 'feature'

Kevin D.
            Kevin,

Are you sure? I'll post a picture of my setup where subwoofer is OFF for Multi-inputs, and by doing that, it really cancel the subwoofer activity (The bad about this setting is that I don't get LFE channel anymore).
            Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
            Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Ok, gotcha. You are right that you can turn the sub off on the 1066, but like you said you lose the .1 channel.

I thought you meant you could disable the bass redirect from the other channels through the menu. That is something you can do on the 1068.

Sorry for the confusion,

Kevin D.

Comment

• pbarata
                • Feb 2003

Kevin,

Maybe this confusion was caused by my poor English.

By the way, what happens to LFE signal when subwoofer is OFF? I guess it’s transferred for the front channels, isn’t it?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

I doubt it, but can't verify. You could get a disc with known LFE content, unplug all cables from the DVD but the .1 channel , turn the sub to off, and then see if you hear anything from the fronts.

From what I understand, the sub=off just mutes the output.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Martinf
                    • Oct 2003

I have the RSP-1066 and RMB-1075 combination. Regarding the tone controls, on the -1066, these are active all the time. Furthermore, I've been assured by Rotel that these tone controls are purely analog. i.e. There is no digital conversion.

Personally I like the fact I have tone controls when I'm playing hirez DVD-As through the multichannel analog inputs. Note: on the 1066 they affect only the front three (L/C/R) channels, but not the rears.

As for the bass manangement, I got Rotel to disable the extra subwoofer info when using the analog multi inputs by cutting the resistor (prior to delivery).
                    Last edited by Martinf; 09 November 2006, 14:05 Thursday. Reason: -
                    I'll be back!

Comment

• gianni
                      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by greenjudas
                      So in effect,there is very little difference[if any] by using the multi inputs for cd player 2 ch?I havent had the chance to listen much in comparing the two as yet, the only obvious difference I can tell at this stage is the sub needs to be turned up a fair bit to get it going when using the multi inputs

I was told by Rotel that the multi-inputs are the cleanest path through the RSP-1066 and similar RSX-1055. Given a decent quality player, I have found that the multi-inputs do indeed produce the best sound. if you read some of the professional reviews on the units, the reviewers agree with these findings.
                      Owners I have spoken to who are using a good CD player also prefer the multi-inputs, especially for 2 ch music.

Comment

• Martinf
                        • Oct 2003

F.W.I.W. Rotel also assured me that the RSP-1066's 2-ch CD input is purely analog (no digital conversion when playing in stereo mode). I use that input for my CD player, and it sounds fine.

b.t.w. my DVD-A / universal player uses the multi-channel analog inputs, and bass management is done in the player itself.
                        I'll be back!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"