X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Tube Pre Amp opinions

I looking for some thoughts on a Balanced Tube preamp. Since I ultimately want my preamp and amp to be from the same manufacturer I want to stick with manufacturers that make amps tube or SS. So far I've thought of:

Macintosh C220.
    Balanced Audio VK-3ix
    Audio Research LS26
    Last edited by GregLett; 21 January 2008, 08:44 Monday.
    Greg
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

You are quite specific about the balanced bit.

I would bet that a Conrad Johnson Act 2 Series II tube pre and Premier 350 power amp would be more than competitive.

Of course that is not a cheap combination.

The "poor mans" alternative is the CA200 control amp. Sounds georgous with the Aeon I if you like jazz and acoustic music. Does a good job but may not be the last word if you like death metal.

(There always has to be one poster that ignores the criteria set in the intial post....balanced Nah!......tube pre, nah!....get a solid state control amp.......simplicity without compromise :T )
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Thanks Briz I'll research the CJ option. All the options are up there. I will do this with all Agone purchases, so that opens up things a little. I actually have a CA-100 on the way here, that I'm going to keep no matter what. It's either going to be a part of a combo or my backup.
      Greg

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

Budget.

:jawdrop: OK No CJ in my future unless I win the Lotto. Max budget is 6K new.
        That new price point usually brings items in around 3-4K used.
        Greg

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Greg,

Check this out. It's a classic.

Sparky

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

You know my feelings with regards to ARC......I am more than happy with my LS-26. Plus the marriage with my Rogue M-150's is superb as well.
            Dave

Comment

• GregLett
              • May 2005

Originally posted by twitch54
              You know my feelings with regards to ARC......I am more than happy with my LS-26. Plus the marriage with my Rogue M-150's is superb as well.
              Yes I do I forgot about Rogue as an option. Might have been because their balanced preamp is outside of my price range. I wish I could have everyone bring their preamp amp combo over for an audition .
              Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                HI Greg,

Check this out. It's a classic.

Sparky
                Don't want to get anything too old. even though ARC has a reputation of servicing old products.
                Greg

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by GregLett
                  Don't want to get anything too old. even though ARC has a reputation of servicing old products.
                  HI,
                  Why? Especially why in the case of ARC who services and supports everything they have ever sold. This is a company with a gold class reputation which is matched by few and exceeded by none. Do you realize this?

My ARC SP-11 preamp is about the same age as the SP-15 (the SP-15 was top tof the line, the SP-11 second) and I can assure you it is still world class and remains totally reliable. Great equipment ages very slowly.

Not to argue but, frankly, I don't understand your hesitation. You must have an unspoken reason. The SP-15 I linked you to is a great buy assuming it is in the condition the seller claims. You said you wanted a tube preamp. Well here is one of the best at a good price. If I didn't already have my SP-11 I would jump at it. It's a bargain.

True, it is not balanced. Are you sure you need this? Most folks don't.

Believe me, you do not owe me a reason. I'm just curious.

Sparky

Comment

• Briz vegas
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

:jawdrop: OK No CJ in my future unless I win the Lotto. Max budget is 6K new.
                    That new price point usually brings items in around 3-4K used.
                    Yup thats part of the reason for including the CA-200 in my list - its $6500 new.

or as an inbetween option the CJ CT5, I quote Wes Phillips, November 2007

"When I reviewed Conrad-Johnson's $7500 CT5 preamplifier in the July 2006 Stereophile, after having reviewed their $13,500 ACT2 in March 2005, I was struck by how very close to C-J's flagship the less expensive line stage sounded. In fact, they were so close to sonically indistinguishable that I found it difficult to imagine why an audiophile might choose the more expensive option.

"Actually, we wondered that, too," said Lew Johnson when the review was published. "So we took what we learned building the CT5 and applied it to the ACT2. Frankly, we were stunned by the ACT2 Series 2."

Karma's suggestion is more afforable still. Remember that you can always sell it on if it does not do the sonic boogie for you. I'm going to hear a Audio Research Reference 3 this weekend at a mates, if all goes to plan. I think its a current model, goes for about $10k in the US .
                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                      HI,
                      Why? Especially why in the case of ARC who services and supports everything they have ever sold. This is a company with a gold class reputation which is matched by few and exceeded by none. Do you realize this?

My ARC SP-11 preamp is about the same age as the SP-15 (the SP-15 was top tof the line, the SP-11 second) and I can assure you it is still world class and remains totally reliable. Great equipment ages very slowly.

Not to argue but, frankly, I don't understand your hesitation. You must have an unspoken reason. The SP-15 I linked you to is a great buy assuming it is in the condition the seller claims. You said you wanted a tube preamp. Well here is one of the best at a good price. If I didn't already have my SP-11 I would jump at it. It's a bargain.

True, it is not balanced. Are you sure you need this? Most folks don't.

Believe me, you do not owe me a reason. I'm just curious.

Sparky

Sparky,

I understand that ARC will take care of it's old products, but there are
                      certain things I'm looking for.
                      1. I want a truly balanced preamp.
                      2. I want the option of changing my power cord
                      3. I don't want a unit that's too old.

I just want to be happy with my choice.
                      Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                        Yup thats part of the reason for including the CA-200 in my list - its $6500 new.

or as an inbetween option the CJ CT5, I quote Wes Phillips, November 2007

"When I reviewed Conrad-Johnson's $7500 CT5 preamplifier in the July 2006 Stereophile, after having reviewed their $13,500 ACT2 in March 2005, I was struck by how very close to C-J's flagship the less expensive line stage sounded. In fact, they were so close to sonically indistinguishable that I found it difficult to imagine why an audiophile might choose the more expensive option.

"Actually, we wondered that, too," said Lew Johnson when the review was published. "So we took what we learned building the CT5 and applied it to the ACT2. Frankly, we were stunned by the ACT2 Series 2."

Karma's suggestion is more afforable still. Remember that you can always sell it on if it does not do the sonic boogie for you. I'm going to hear a Audio Research Reference 3 this weekend at a mates, if all goes to plan. I think its a current model, goes for about $10k in the US .

I'm trying my best to get off the equipment merry-go-round. I've had my current pre in my system the longest, and since moving up the audio chain in amps, I've always missed a balanced connection. I want my next pre to give me that option as well as the option to mate with an amp from the same stable.
                        Greg

Comment

• Nov 2005

Sparky,

I understand that ARC will take care of it's old products, but there are
                          certain things I'm looking for.
                          1. I want a truly balanced preamp.
                          2. I want the option of changing my power cord
                          3. I don't want a unit that's too old.

I just want to be happy with my choice.
                          HI Greg,
                          OK. Thanks.

You and I could discuss the technical virtues (or lack thereof) of balanced connections but this is not the place. I do think the goal of having the pre and power amp from the same manufacturer is a worthy goal which I also practice.

Power cords? Hmmm. Very close to snake oil, IMO. Yes, I know many folks buy into this but I don't.

"Not too old" is pretty slippery. Can you be more specific? Might help a bit.

To be honest with you, your vague questions and my inability to offer real help is the reason I never join this type of thread. I don't know your sonic preferences, your existing system, how extensive your upgrade will be, and how much money you are willing to spend. I don't know if you are strictly digital or need a phono section or if you might be planning a move to vinyl. I don't even know if you currently have a tube amp or if you are planning to get one. Sorry I can't be more help.

The only reason I did join this one is that I noticed the SP-15 on Audiogon and thought it might be right for you. But it's not.

Good luck with your search.

Sparky

Comment

• GregLett
                            • May 2005

Thanks Sparky. I do appreciate your input and everyone else on this and other forums.

I never believe something fully until I hear it for myself. Before I heard it for myself I never believed power cords made any difference. I still don't quite understand how, but they do. So I'm sold on that one.

As far as "too old".. I would consider an 80's design too old.

I think you should join this type of thread. The thread was not far a definitive answer on a preamp, and I don't believe it's vague at all. I'm using the forum to gather the thoughts of my fellow hobbyist on a specific item, "A Balanced tube preamp".
                            I even listed the ones I've thought of. This thread is learn what else is out there in that fit my criteria. All I'm looking for, is for guys like you with years of experience in audio to say "hey Greg consider this". Once I have all the information I can then make a choice.
                            Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                              • May 2005

I looking for some thoughts on a Balanced Tube preamp. Since I ultimately want my preamp and amp to be from the same manufacturer I want to stick with manufacturers that make amps tube or SS. So far I've thought of:

Macintosh C220.
                              Balanced Audio VK-3ix
                              Audio Research LS26
                              I've narrowed the List down to either Bat or audio Research, those two are true balanced designs. Reading up on Mcintosh I'm surprised that they are not a balanced design, at least the ones in my price range.
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"