X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EastCoaster
    • Jan 2006

Rotel, Arcam, or Anthem?

I was wondering if you guys (or gals) who have had experience with Rotel, Arcam, and Anthem could comment generally about how you think the three brands compare? (i.e., in musicality, video, breakdowns, service & warranty, build quality, etc.). These three brands are in my price range (amp, processor, and dvd/cd player). Much obliged for any feedback!
  • deke
    • Dec 2005

I don't have experience with Arcam. My experience in auditioning Rotel vs. Anthem was that I found the Anthem's to be much brighter and the Rotel much warmer. To me, the Anthem's are fatiguing... others love them.

Comment

• shadow 8
      • Aug 2004

Well Anthem makes no DVD player or any cd players to my knowledge. Their pre/pro entry level is as expensive as Rotel's most expensive model. They sound good, made in North America and have tremendous features and the best upgrade program in the industry IMO. Soundwise, I think they sound about the same as Rotel and entry level Arcam in my experience hearing them in a showroom. The Arcam AVP 9 is a substantial step up from the competition in sound quality but costs $5500. I do not care for the Arcam or Anthem amps but have not heard the expensive Statement series amps from Anthem. I really like Rotel amps and have a 1095. Perhaps not suprisingly, I think Rotel is the best combination of value and performance. If I had the money I would buy the Arcam AVP 9 or the Anthem Statement D 2. and a combination of Rotel digital amplification, but we are talking real money for this option. Keep in mind the Rotel pre/pros are due to be replaced with new models next year since they are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Comment

• Clepto
        • Feb 2006

If you're talking pre/pro, I'd give the nod to the Anthem in the video department. Rotel is a bit behind the times there.

I'd probably give the nod to Arcam if you're talking equal dollar amounts...

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

Some people in this area have had some quality control issues with Anthem (maybe).

Read this thread and take it with a proverbial grain of salt.

Comment

• KRC
            • Aug 2004

I have the Arcam 200 which was an upgrade from a $200.00 Sony, needless to say huge difference. Then added the Rotel 1040 DVD from a $150.00 Sony DVD player wow. Does not answer your question but you certainly get returns for the dollar when you shop/compare.

Comment

• EastCoaster
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by shadow 8
              If I had the money I would buy the Arcam AVP 9 or the Anthem Statement D 2. and a combination of Rotel digital amplification, but we are talking real money for this option. Keep in mind the Rotel pre/pros are due to be replaced with new models next year since they are getting a bit long in the tooth.
              Thanks for that! I agree, we're talking Big Bucks for the Anthem Statement D2 - a bit out of my league. Is there any news about Rotel's new models and when they'll come out?

Comment

• EastCoaster
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by grit
                Some people in this area have had some quality control issues with Anthem (maybe).

Read this thread and take it with a proverbial grain of salt.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...?t=7513&page=3
                That's a fascinating thread Grit! I'm going to be reading the updates on this one - thanks!

Comment

• EastCoaster
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by KRC
                  I have the Arcam 200 which was an upgrade from a $200.00 Sony, needless to say huge difference. Then added the Rotel 1040 DVD from a $150.00 Sony DVD player wow. Does not answer your question but you certainly get returns for the dollar when you shop/compare.
                  Thanks for this - so what do you mean exactly by "huge difference" and "wow"? Can you elaborate?

Comment

• shadow 8
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by EastCoaster
                    Thanks for that! I agree, we're talking Big Bucks for the Anthem Statement D2 - a bit out of my league. Is there any news about Rotel's new models and when they'll come out?
                    Not in my league either, but I can dream :T I am not aware of a release date for the new Rotels. Speculation on this forum has ranged from the end of this year to mid 07.

Comment

• Clepto
                      • Feb 2006

Keep in mind that the Statement D2 and the AVM50 from anthem also include a ton of video scaling... Basically, you're getting @$1500 USD of video scaling/deinterlacing.... For those looking to combine audio and video in one unit, and don't want to get an additional external video scaler, it's not that much of a cost premium...

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"