X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

RDV-1092 Review

Link to a review I came across:

Canada Free Press is an independent investigative news site, which like all conservative/Christian news providers is fighting social media censorship to stay online
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • Vicente
    • May 2004

This review was already posted in the thread "rdv 1092 reviews?" I started on June 26th. See http://www.postchronicle.com/news/te...21238669.shtml

Well, it's a pity that there is not a new review. I'm sure many, many people are waiting for comparisons between the 1092 and other similar units like the Marantz 9600 or the just launched Denon 3930.

Also a question ¿are the new high definition players going to be able to play old DVD's and upscale them to 1080p as the 1092 is doing but at a fraction of the price and with the possibility of playing the new BD or HDDVD formats?.

I just read that Sony is going to sell a BD player that will do it for a mere 600 dollars and then there is no sense in spending 1500 Euros (about $1900) now. Or yes?

Any case I would still want to read any review comparing the units I told you before.

Well club1820 I recommend you to read the thread "rdv 1092 reviews?". There you will find some other comments about our beloved/hated 1092.

Regards

Comment

• global
      • Sep 2006

Well i agree with the point of that it cost 1500 euros but i only payed 7000 euros and for that price its unbeatable even though sonys blueray player probably will produce way better picture i doubt it will even have a chance in producing the stereo sound of the 1092 ive talked to alot of dealers and let me say they are impressed and for a 1500 euros player even to be mentioned in the same context to krell and audionet is a big acomplishment.So sure i will probably buy a blueray player and it will probably come from Sony and then i will have one hell of a dvd audio cd player in the 1092.

Comment

• Vicente
        • May 2004

Originally posted by global
        "but i only payed 7000 euros"
        Well, I hope this is a mistake and you only paid 700 euros. If this is what you paid, please, can you tell me where did you find that bargain. I would be very interested in getting one at that price!.

Thanks. Regards.

Vicente

Comment

• global
          • Sep 2006

Sorry meant 700 euros and i got that nice price from general seller in sweden through a store where i know all the guys so i dont know if thatll help but for every day i play music and see the picture this machine is presenting im really impressed this player is a bargain for 1500 euros or more this is a killer dvd.Just for comparrison i played it against my friends Pioneer 989 and we both agreed to my friends dissapointment it ripped it apart especially in stereo the pioneer didnt have a chance.

Comment

• bullitt731
            • Aug 2005

I was leaning to the 1092 but ended up buying an Arcam 137 because it was the only player I found which specifically supported my Pioneers 768 native resolution. When I actually receive the unit I will take it directly to my local Rotel AD and we will let the two units fight it out. I actually hope the Rotel kicks the Arcam's butt and would have NO trouble flipping it if it does. Stay tuned for the evaluation.

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

I'll bet any amount of money you stay with the Arcam

any reviewer who uses a Rotel 1050 as a reference player doesnt exactly get my confidence vote

i have had all the Rotel players, my current is the Arcam DV29, it'
              s incredible the difference and it only upconverts to 720P thru HDMI, with absolutely no bugs

looking forward to your opinion

Kurt

Comment

• bullitt731
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by kurtholz
                I'll bet any amount of money you stay with the Arcam

any reviewer who uses a Rotel 1050 as a reference player doesnt exactly get my confidence vote

i have had all the Rotel players, my current is the Arcam DV29, it'
                s incredible the difference and it only upconverts to 720P thru HDMI, with absolutely no bugs

looking forward to your opinion

Kurt
                Im just hoping the damn thing works. I don't think I have ever heard of a piece of electronics which has had so many issues as the 137. Since this is the Rotel Forum I will not elaborated, but the Arcam Forum makes for some depressing reading. We shall see, and I will post my observations in the appropriate forum here somewhere. Ed

Comment

• Vicente
                  • May 2004

Global, thanks for your comments. It's a pity I can't get the 1092 for less than 1375 Euros (a mere 5% discount). I'd go fot it today if I could get it for 700. Can't get another one for that price for me? :W

Well it's a joke, but sure that was going to convince me for the 1092 against the Marantz 9600 or the Denon 3930.

Comment

• global
                    • Sep 2006

Well we will see the competition is stiff but if the dime was between a denon 3930 marantz 9600 or the rdv 1092 the first player to go would be the denon but between the other two its a thing of taste and the fact that the Rotel has better picture qualities and is way cheaper so im happy with my decision and it is impressing me more and more for every day i spin dvds or cds.

Comment

• voxy
                      • Jan 2005

Well we will see the competition is stiff but if the dime was between a denon 3930 marantz 9600 or the rdv 1092 the first player to go would be the denon but between the other two its a thing of taste and the fact that the Rotel has better picture qualities and is way cheaper so im happy with my decision and it is impressing me more and more for every day i spin dvds or cds.
                      Hi Global, do you have any glitch with the RDV 1092? I was reading the Arcam unit and it seems like the software patch doesn't help at all.

Are you or anyone able to give a A/B audio comparison between RDV 1092 and RCD 1072? Basically I don't care to much if the pix are very good but analog output sound is more important to me.

Comment

• grit
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by voxy
                        Hi Global, do you have any glitch with the RDV 1092? I was reading the Arcam unit and it seems like the software patch doesn't help at all.

Are you or anyone able to give a A/B audio comparison between RDV 1092 and RCD 1072? Basically I don't care to much if the pix are very good but analog output sound is more important to me.
                        Here here! I'm with you Voxy. The only way I'll upgrade is if the 2-ch sound quality exceeded that of the RCD-1072. Speaking of which, I recently read that Rotel is planning a new version of the RCD-1072. I don't remember where I read that or if it was reliable, so please take it with a grain of salt (and crossed fingers).

Comment

• voxy
                          • Jan 2005

I downloaded the RDV 1092 manual lastnight. So the only thing it does not play is SACD, which is not really impt to me. The only concern is that the HDMI is ver 1.1 and not ver 1.3. Anyone knows what is the difference?

The DAC for this set is 24bit/192Khz as compared to the RCD1072 18bit DAC. I hope with the higher spec, this unit will outperform the 1072.

BTW, I did some tweak on the RCD 1072 this week. Basically I use some accumat damping sheet and stick it onto the chassis / outer case of the RCD 1072 plus some bluetac on the transformer screws, rotating head, side handle's screws (they have some sort of grounding). Tighten all screws and pro-gold the rca connectors. The effect was apparent, approx 15% improvement in resolution, imaging and bass extension. The CDP also closes without the irritating banging sound after damping it. It felt like a expensive player witht he additional weight. :E

The power supply is pretty well isolated with some form of EMI shielding wrapped around it. So you do not need to add RFI/EMI absorption sheet to the unit. What surprise me is the unit has also some form of damping both at the bottom and top of the chassis and cover around the transport/laser. Everything has good quality compare to my older Musical Fidelity CDP. The only cheapo thing are the RCA connector... thought of changing these to Cardas.

Comment

• global
                            • Sep 2006

Concerning the comparison between the 1072 and the 1092 in stereo well lets just say that at the moment the rdv1092 is Rotels best dvd player and also their best cd player.The sound of the rdv 1092 is to say the least amazing.
                            On another not ive had no glitches with the 1092 its working like clockwork sure its a little bit slower than my previous Sony 9000es but the performance picturewise and sonicwise more than well makes up for it.
                            A comment this week i tested it against the Pioneer 989 and it had the 989 running through component at the weakest resolution and the Pioneer was running through the hdmi something to think about it will litterally bring your dvds to life again.

Comment

• wheelz7
                              • Nov 2005

not sure if been posted but heres secrets benchmark review

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...V-1092%20(HDMI)

Comment

• Vicente
                                • May 2004

Thanks wheelz7, the Secrets of HT &HF review had not been posted before.

Not a bad review altough I expected better results. It's a shame they don't analyse the audio section of the player.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                  • Sep 2003

I've been watching out for this review ever since Kris Deering mentioned (on another forum) quite a while ago that he was working on it. For some players, they will do an addition complete review (including audio), but normally just report extensively on the video side.

Looks like this player is pretty good, but not great. For a $1500 list price, I would expect a bit more. As I've mentioned before, the Onkyo DV-SP1000, which can be had for less than $1400 provides a much more complete offering. At this price, it's hard to justify the lack of SACD support, bass management, etc. that can be found on many other players nowadays.
                                  Brad

Comment

• Clepto
                                    • Feb 2006

I think it's telling that Video is the focus, and Rotel does 'OK' but if Audio were the focus, it'd do much better...

I still wish someone would make a 'Universal' Audio player. I would be happy to shell out my money for a MUSIC player, that can handle CD, SACD, and DVD-A equally well, and I could frankly care less about the video portion. Unfortunately, that seems to be way outside the norm ):

-C

Comment

• shadow 8
                                      • Aug 2004

Well, Linn makes such a player but it will cost you a ton.

Comment

• voxy
                                        • Jan 2005

Concerning the comparison between the 1072 and the 1092 in stereo well lets just say that at the moment the rdv1092 is Rotels best dvd player and also their best cd player.The sound of the rdv 1092 is to say the least amazing.
                                        On another not ive had no glitches with the 1092 its working like clockwork sure its a little bit slower than my previous Sony 9000es but the performance picturewise and sonicwise more than well makes up for it.
                                        A comment this week i tested it against the Pioneer 989 and it had the 989 running through component at the weakest resolution and the Pioneer was running through the hdmi something to think about it will litterally bring your dvds to life again.
                                        Hi Global

May I know how do you connect the player to get stereo output? Do you connect via 5.1 channel or the std stereo output? I want to play it to the plasma w/o turning the hi-fi system on, but only the dvdp & tv.

The other concern is that what are the effects if I playback CD thru the analog 5.1 connections? Will there be any digital processing or will it be a direct signal to the processor, since I normally set the processor to bypass for CD playback. Thanks.

Comment

• global
                                          • Sep 2006

Hi i connect by the standard stereo output ive tried to connect by the multichannel inputs but the sound is notisable better in bypass even though multichannel in doesnt sound so bad and it lets the dvd do the processing.

Comment

• chinets
                                            • Jun 2005

Clepto,
                                            Marantz DV 9600 does what you want- ALL IN ONE!! Perfect SACD, DVD-A and Red Book CD, and probably the best Video you would get from any player around, and upsacales 1080i too for your information.
                                            If you don't care about picture ,although it is probably the best out there in terms of Picture, then the Marantz DV 9600 is your baby for around 2000 sterling pounds..NOT BAD for such an audiophile Audio performer with the best picture too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• voxy
                                              • Jan 2005

Hi i connect by the standard stereo output ive tried to connect by the multichannel inputs but the sound is notisable better in bypass even though multichannel in doesnt sound so bad and it lets the dvd do the processing.
                                              So the strereo output provides better performance for CDP playback. For the purpose of playing only with the player and tv on, what other connection can I use to send audio signal to the TV? Does the HDMI provides audio as well?

Comment

• Vicente
                                                • May 2004

Originally posted by chinets
                                                Marantz DV 9600 does what you want- ALL IN ONE!! Perfect SACD, DVD-A and Red Book CD, and probably the best Video you would get from any player around, and upsacales 1080i too for your information.

Marantz DV9600 upscales up to 1080p if I'm not wrong, and the official price in Europe is 2000 Euros (about 1350 sterling pounds).

Comment

• chinets
                                                  • Jun 2005

Vicente,

Marantz here In the middle East was 2000 sterling pounds which includes the cost of courier and delivery transportation.

In the U.S. it sells at 2,200 dollars, if I am not mistaken!! You are right In Europe it is sold at between 2000 and 2300 Euros depending on where In Europe you are purchasing this player from.

Output resolutions via HDMI include 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (and their PAL variants). Yes, you read that right, 1080p is supported thanks to the ABT scaling. This is what the DV 9600 has under it's bonnet Vicente!!

Ciao che!!

Comment

• Slice
                                                    • Jan 2005

I looked at an RDV-1092 at the dealer. I must say that the drawer seemed flimsy and cheap for a $1500 unit; certainly no heftier than the drawer on my 2910 and nothing like on a 3910.

I know - don't judge the book by its cover, and maybe it's the same mechanism as in Rotel's other players, but it's the impression I left with. The dealer didn't have it where I could A/B with Denon's xx30 players though, so didn't check out the actual performance.

FWIW, there's a DV9600 NIB on Audiogon for $1395.
                                                    - Slice

Comment

• chinets
                                                      • Jun 2005

Slice,
                                                      For that price (DV 9600) it must be a demo or a used second hand player!! Right!!

The lowest price I have seen for the DV 9600 was in Hong Kong and Thailand, and they were Spanking NEW and at the lowest price of $ 2,099 dollars and that was a steal!! Wished I got it there!! I bought mine very expensive! But that is the Luck you get when you want the player NEW, and it has just came out on the market,and I was desperate to get this player. You pay full price and more, when you are in a hurry!!
                                                      The DV 9600 is a beauty though, and was worth all that extra cash!!! I love my DV 9600 ,and wouldn't trade it for anything!!!! Maybe for the Austin Martin DB9??
                                                      Cheers!!!!!

Comment

• Slice
                                                        • Jan 2005

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....deo&1164895681 I'm only going by what the ad says. So I guess it's a good deal then?
                                                        - Slice

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"