X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadow
    • Dec 2003

10 db Boost for Sub Still Necessary?

I remember a thread a few years ago here or on AVS when it was recommended that if you had a Rotel pre/pro or receiver, you needed to boost the sub output by 10 db relative to the other speakers in order for it to match the actual output of the main speakers. Is this info true or has subequent software versions made this advice obsolete? There is no information on this matter in the owners manual. I have a 1056 receiver.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Not sure if it was fixed or not, but I still set it 10db higher with no problems.

Best bet is to pick up a test disc and be sure it's right.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

What test disk would you recommend?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I prefer AVIA.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

From what I remember, several test disc tones, especially for subwoofers, were 'off' by several db... I can't remember if it was Avia or DVE, but you may want to do some reasearch, to make sure you're compensating for that...

Comment

• shadow
            • Dec 2003

I am unsure of the procedure to use Avia to set levels. I have only used internal test tones from the receiver so I have no idea how to do this since the internal setup on the Rotel 1056 requires the use of its test tones. Suggestions?

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Run through the AVIA tones and mark down how many steps things need to change. Go to the Rotel setup and change it those steps. Go back to the disc and re-measure.

Go back and forth until the AVIA levels match up. I believe AVIA has all levels set -10db from reference, so with the volume set to your reference level calibrate all channels to 85db.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shadow
                • Dec 2003

Well, I did the test tones with Avia and it appears that there is no 10 db difference between Avia and the internal test tones of the 1056 for the sub calibration. In fact, they are virtually identical. Thanks for the suggestions. Curious if others have similar or different results with their Rotel pre/pros since I am pretty sure of the previous threads regarding the sub calibration anomaly I mentioned, but I cannot find the thread and my results do not support that the difference exists.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Hi,

Under the Dolby Digitla standard the reference level for the sub is set 10db higher than the other channels to give the sub more headroom (ie the same pattern of 1s and 0s that means 80 db on your fronts means 90 db on the sub )so 105 db for the fronts gives a 115 db on the sub at refernce level. All modern DD soundtracks disks are mixed accordingly and the processors revierse this convention to end up with the right level. Early versions of Rotel firmware on the RSP-1098 and some other models sent the test tones digitally at the same level as the other channels, which meant when you set the level right with the internal test tones for the sub it would play real soundtracks 10 Db too low. This was fixed in a subsequent firmware release and the test tones are now fine. Regardless the AIVA test disks etc would set the right levels (since they had the seb level encoded with the 10db level change.)

I actually re-encountered this problem with a loan RSP-1098 from my dealer while my main unit is being fixed. It had the old 1.1.8 firware and the sub was 10 db too low!. Firmware upgrade and factory recent and it is fine.

Geoff

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

Hi Aussie!!

Hi Aussie,
                    I bought my 1098 In May 2005 ...Would I have that fireware update???
                    I never had to set anything on the sub to +10db!! My subs are 2 B&W ASW 850 if that helps?? :roll:

Am I OK!!!!!!!!!!!! or need to check the dealer? ops:
                    Thanks Aussie!!!!!!!!!!
                    See ya mate!! ;x(
                    Cheers

Comment

• Clepto
                      • Feb 2006

I think it's DVE that has lower than normal test tones btw.

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

I have my sub calibrated 10db higher on my 1098, and adjust everything in the Sub Setup menu accordingly, of course I like to run my sub a little hot, which is my personal preference.

Peace and blessing,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"