X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Worth it to add another sub to my IB?

I have a very small HT that measures 11x18x6.5 in my townhouse's basement. In the front left corner of the room, in the left wall is my quad Shiva IB sub (see sig; painted red now). I'm powering it with a single PE 240w plate amp and using a channel from my DCX2496 to handle crossover and EQ. I sit between 10 and 12 feet away when watching movies and the bass is fantastic, usable down to 10hz. However, there are some room modes that I have to EQ in order to get a relatively flat response. One is centered around 42hz, if memory serves correct, that's down over 10db.

With the new Mach5 18" driver on special it got me thinking that maybe I should build another subwoofer and put it on the right side of my room (or whichever works best) to possibly correct the modes I'm experiencing. I'm not set on building the Mach5 18", but if I did it would be a sealed alignment roughly 6-8 ft3. I do have two 12" SVS ISD drivers I picked up for $90 shipped that model almost identically to the Shivas, of which I have 2 left (thanks, Thomas!). I could use those in a sealed or ported configuration, whichever you feel may work better. The second sub can have its own DCX channel and amplifier, if necessary. What I'm unsure of is:

1. Do you feel it will benefit me to do this? I will gain a few dBs of output and hopefully will mitigate some of the modes I'm experiencing.

2. If I do this do you think a sealed or ported alignment will be better? In order to get the extension of my IB I'd have to add an extreme amount of EQ to the sealed sub's low-end, or I could stop around 20hz and boost the IB a little below that to make up. However, if I ported them boosting the output below the tuning frequency will also cause problems. I guess I could boost the low-end of the sealed a little bit and EQ the IB a tad bit more?

3. If I do give them each a channel of DCX EQ and amplification I would have to EQ them simultaneously, in order to measure the benefits of adding the second sub. Any tips on doing this?

You guys rock! :-y
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If you mix alignments you'll lose the SQ benefit of the IB.

If you add a sealed box you could even out the in-room FR.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"