Statements II - Highpass for bass driver protection?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roxkz
    • May 2017

Statements II - Highpass for bass driver protection?

Hi! I don't know if I'm unusually bass happy or... well.. It's just me.

I've been considering adding a poweramp and a DSP in my signal chain to my statements...
    Reason is that, well.. I've managed to bottom out two of the RS225's a few times now... dB reading at listening position have been about ~95-97 dB isch... mostly electronic music.
    I do hope the drivers are ok, they do still sound fine. Just that some passages are actually managing to push their xmax and xmech to the limit at my listening levels.
    And I guess my Yamaha v771 is pushed to its limits as well.

So, I was thinking... a HP filter @ 20Hz, and a a -5dB 2.5Q PEQ @ ~14hz to knock down the excursion peak. That should keep the drivers safe and have little impact on the sound quality I hope.

EDIT: I'll soon be adding some more power sub-wise for HT, this would I guess make the Statements 'safer' from LFE-madness running them as large while pushing the dBs.
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by roxkz
    Hi! I don't know if I'm unusually bass happy or... well.. It's just me.

I've been considering adding a poweramp and a DSP in my signal chain to my statements...
    Reason is that, well.. I've managed to bottom out two of the RS225's a few times now... dB reading at listening position have been about ~95-97 dB isch... mostly electronic music.
    I do hope the drivers are ok, they do still sound fine. Just that some passages are actually managing to push their xmax and xmech to the limit at my listening levels.
    And I guess my Yamaha v771 is pushed to its limits as well.

So, I was thinking... a HP filter @ 20Hz, and a a -5dB 2.5Q PEQ @ ~14hz to knock down the excursion peak. That should keep the drivers safe and have little impact on the sound quality I hope.

EDIT: I'll soon be adding some more power sub-wise for HT, this would I guess make the Statements 'safer' from LFE-madness running them as large while pushing the dBs.
    The amount of ultra low frequency content in the music and your volume levels are the problem. They simply exceed the RS225's capabilities. Check the true volume about 3 feet back from the speaker with a DB meter for a better measure of how loud you're actually playing them. A sub and something to roll off the low frequencies to the Statements is the answer.

Take a look at the red line for an illustration of why you're running out of xmax.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	VB Response Dayton PE Reference 8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	863566

Comment

• roxkz
      • May 2017

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
      The amount of ultra low frequency content in the music and your volume levels are the problem. They simply exceed the RS225's capabilities. Check the true volume about 3 feet back from the speaker with a DB meter for a better measure of how loud you're actually playing them. A sub and something to roll off the low frequencies to the Statements is the answer.

Take a look at the red line for an illustration of why you're running out of xmax.

Jim

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28284[/ATTACH]
      Yes, I figured that as I've modeled the drivers and identified the offending frequencies... And I'm right at the limit for 4 meter distance in the sub 20hz region.

So I figured hammering down the ULF-parts. I won't miss them as they mostly add distortion and overexcursion.
      With that fixed, they should handle higher ammounts of power more safely, without any real risk. I don't really like subs when listening to music however... I very much prefer pure two-channel.
      I'll also add limiters in DSP to ensure safety.

Sounds like a plan?

EDIT: Yes, I know I'm a basshead. xD

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Give it a try and see if it works....

Jim

Comment

• roxkz
          • May 2017

Give it a try and see if it works....

Jim
          Will do! Just need to steal back my other DSP first. Will be reporting back in a few days, math test of doom tomorrow.
          It will probably take a little while of fiddling to set up the limiters properly.

Just figured I'd share the thought here on the forums since I'm probably(?) not alone, considering the safety of the drivers while pushing things. In case somebody searches, hopefully they'll find something useful.
          Thanks yet again for your fast responses and dedication to the community, I'm very happy with the Statements after some tweaking.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Just figured I'd share the thought here on the forums since I'm probably(?) not alone
            I believe I read something similar around here a while ago. And yes, my memory of it is vague enough to not be helpful. LOL But you got the man who designed them, so you really don't need to refer to the last time he explained it.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• roxkz
              • May 2017

Originally posted by Alaric
              I believe I read something similar around here a while ago. And yes, my memory of it is vague enough to not be helpful. LOL But you got the man who designed them, so you really don't need to refer to the last time he explained it.
              Fair enough, did not find it when i searched for it. Hopefully the next person will find mind. Will throw in some search words in first post perhaps.
              Just figured would be nice with a solution for the next time... except don't crank it to 11.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by roxkz
                Fair enough, did not find it when i searched for it. Hopefully the next person will find mind. Will throw in some search words in first post perhaps.
                Just figured would be nice with a solution for the next time... except don't crank it to 11.
                Electronic music is tough to reproduce particularly at dance club or concert levels. If you play bass that loud, I'd suggest you move the crossover to the subs up around 80 Hz. or higher. Bottom line you're exceeding the low frequency limits of the Statements. They have an F/3 of about 32 Hz. and can play at normal volumes easily. multiple subs are your only answer to achieve what you want to do without destroying the RS225's.

The red line in the graph indicates you'll bottom the drivers if you exceed the volumes indicated. Proceed at your own risk.... 8O

Jim

Comment

• roxkz
                  • May 2017

Electronic music is tough to reproduce particularly at dance club or concert levels. If you play bass that loud, I'd suggest you move the crossover to the subs up around 80 Hz. or higher. Bottom line you're exceeding the low frequency limits of the Statements. They have an F/3 of about 32 Hz. and can play at normal volumes easily. multiple subs are your only answer to achieve what you want to do without destroying the RS225's.

The red line in the graph indicates you'll bottom the drivers if you exceed the volumes indicated. Proceed at your own risk.... 8O

Jim
                  Oh yes, I know! I already have multiple subs with 15" drivers actually. But for music I don't really like them for some reason. That goes for all the sub I've used... But I'm building a new hornsub with a 15" driver now, maybe that will change things. 8O
                  And as I said, I'm painfully aware of approaching the limits of the RS225... However it's always one and the same RS225 that bottoms out, so I think it's one of the worse off ones. It'll go in the sealed center when I build it.

Also, I'll set frequency determined limiters and low excursion protection via EQ in the DSP so the speakers always will be safe. Working on the filters now as we speak.
                  I have zero intention of risking my RS225's, and all the intention of keeping them safe so nobody, including me bottoms them out by mistake.

Take care and I'll be back when i got the limiters and all figured out.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"