Is the RSP-1098 sonically superior to the RSP-1068?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wirebrat
    • Aug 2006

Is the RSP-1098 sonically superior to the RSP-1068?

Hi All,

I am a happy RSP-1068 owner. When I purchased it, I wanted the RSP-1098 but could not afford it. I now have the opportunity to upgrade for a reasonable premium. Aside from the TFT and perhaps some additional ins/outs, is there any sonic difference between the two?

One concerning item in the spec is the 1098 is not as quiet as the 1068. I realize specs don't tell the whole story so this may not be an issue. However, I can see how a TFT could introduce more circuitry and unwanted noise to have to isolate.

For critical listening, I go direct and use the multi-input. I tend to like the sound of the RDV-1080 I have better than what the 1068 can produce. For movies and music videos, I'll use the 1068 for better overall channel seperation, but still find the RDV-1080 has a better overall sound.

For video hook-ups. I detest putting any video into my 1068. Hooking video directly into the TV and audio in the 1068 definitely increases cabling, but keeps all that potential noise away from my audio. Switching is not an issue after your get a great universal remote like a Logitech to control functions with a touch of a button. They make the best remotes for the $$$ in my opinion.

In case anyone is wondering what I'm running to guage how I like things, here's my setup:

Rotel RSP-1068
    Perreaux 2350 (for front L&R)
    Rotel 1095 (for center, surrounds, and rears)
    Rotel RDV-1080 DVD
    B&W 803s (fronts)
    Dynaudio Contour (center, surrounds, rears); yeah, I know, would not have thought about that as a match for B&Ws but worked out well
    Dual Velodyne ULD15 subs
    Two PS Audio Power Directors (one for video and the other audio; told you I disliked mixing audio and video if it can be avoided)
    Lots of fancy cabling (all PS Audio power cables, Cobalt audio and speaker cables, Straightwire audio and speaker cables)

As you might imagine, my noise floor is extremely low.

Any insight, advice, or guidance you can provide regarding potential sonic differences of the RSP-1098 over the RSP-1068 (or any other advantages) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the Best, Steve
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

IMO, the 1098 is sonically superior, but by how much is debatable, and I admit its close. I personally find the TFT very useful for set-up. Like you, I don't do any video switching through my 1098.
    Last edited by mjb; 27 August 2006, 09:44 Sunday. Reason: spelling
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I also own the RSP-1098, however I have not compared it to the 1068, from what I've been told there is a slight acoustical gap between the two, the edge going to the 1098. I love having the LCD screen, because I have a FP and I don't have to fire the up the projector everytime.

However, unless you are getting a deal you can't refuse, I would wait, for an upgrade that includes HDMI, but that just me. Just my monies worth.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I'm with Azeke here. While the sonic improvement is debated to no end (from a night & day difference to can't hear a difference) we are too close to new models being released for someone to spend money looking an improvement in sound.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Wardo
          • May 2006

i agree with kevin d and azeke,
          however, this guy is on a limited budget and couldnt afford a 1098 when it first came out so i would guess that he couldnt afford a 1099 when it comes out.
          i do own both the 1098 and 1068(which is for sale now) and there is NO comparison in my opinion. the sonic difference comes from the extreme build quality of this pre/pro which far surpasses the quality of the 1068. it has amazing clarity and seperation.
          I don't think you could go wrong by getting the 1098 especialy if you can get it at a good price. 2000.00 US or less.

Eddie
          Last edited by Wardo; 27 August 2006, 22:12 Sunday.

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

There is a sonic difference between the 2. I would own the 1098 if I had the extra money.Since you don't perfer to use it as a video switcher(which is is designed for and Isolated due to it's design) then I see no reason not to get the 1098.

I must ask why you use different speakers? Dynaudio and B&W sound very different. I have Installed many systems using them both.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Dan

Comment

• wirebrat
              • Aug 2006

Hi All,

Many thanks to all for weighing in with your opinions. I searched this forum before posting and did not see any debate on the 1068 vs. 1098 discussion and therefore posted. If there are any debate threads out there please let me know so I may read up on it further.

In answer to a few quick questions posted:

I was offered a clean unit for only $1600. I get to ensure it works. If not, I can return it. However, I don't get the warranty. It seems like a very good deal to me and therefore the $$$ gap after selling my perfect 1068 should be very reasonable.

I would hope that based upon list price alone, the 1098 would be a superior sonic piece. But you only know after listening to them both. I have not had the opportunity to do a side-by-side yet.

As Wardo noted, I would likely not jump for a 1099 due to price and the HDMI is not an issue for me since I don't use my prepro to switch video. The only time I would do so is if the scaler a prepro offered was sooooo good that it would do a better job than the one in plasma. I've heard the new Anthem is outstanding in this regard, but the price is just too high for my budget.

To Dmantis' question as for my odd pairing of B&W and Dynaudio... I was surprised as well to have done this... but auditioned a Dynaudio Contour one day while visiting friends in NYC. I was amazed at what it delivered for the price as compared to an HTM1. Don't get me wrong, I love the HTM. I don't love the price. So I went for the Dynaudio and then snatched up two pairs of Dynaudio bookshelfs to wrap around my head for sides and rears. When listening to surround, I tweaked the setting on the B&Ws to remove a hair of high freq to soften their sound and better match the Dynaudios. A friend in the biz stopped by one day for a listen and shook his head at how I was able to match the whole lot so well by ear. Don Henley sounded simply superb to him on the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD in DTS and said he would never had matched the speakers had he not heard what I had done. I'm sure there are sonic issues with my system due to the choice but my ears are happy and would not have been happy with a complete B&W setup unless I went all Nautilis.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback. This is my first time on the board. It was nice to finally find a very active Rotel forum.

All the Best, Steve

Comment

• wirebrat
                • Aug 2006

Here's a reply I received on this issue from Rotell:

There is a slight improvement in audio from the 1098. This unit uses relays instead of IC’s for switching which gives a better sound. The RSP-1098 also has three separate power transformers inside, one is a AC filter and then one is designated for the analog portion of the unit and the other is designated for the digital portion. The RSP-1098 uses 4 24/192 CS43122 DACs where the RSP-1068 uses 4 24/192 AK4395VF DACs. Other than that the functionality of the two units are the same.

All the Best, Steve

Comment

• lvhung
                  • Jun 2005

You should upgrage your cables and you see Dynaaudio contour will go far beyond the BW 803

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"