X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acermena
    • Dec 2005

RSP1098 Vs RSP1068

I am trying to determine which would be the best sounding unit for my system, I have N802, krell fpb-200, krc-3 (preamp-will be selling), Meridian 508-24 and Sony 999es DVD/SACD player. I have been able to hear the 1098 at my local dealer but not the 1068. I have heard from others that the is no sonic difference between the two unit but I am not confident with this. The build quality is so much better on the 1098 it does not make sense that they should sound the same.

I would appreciate hearing from others with their opinions and experiences on this subject. The price differance for me will only be $700 betwen the two units due to some discounts my dealer is going to give me (long story). I would appreciate comments.

Does any one have any idea if Rotel is coming out with a new unit replacing the 1098 soon.

Thanks.

Tony
    Last edited by acermena; 16 December 2005, 17:44 Friday.
  • lvhung
    • Jun 2005

I think there is no replacement of 1068 and 1098 next year
    In this time Rotel want to introduce a generation of digital amp !

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

Heck, if you've got an extra $700 to burn, get the 1098, and never ask again if there is a sonic advantage. If you can use the $700 elsewhere, get the 1068, and rest assured there is no sonic difference. $700 spent elsewhere (cables?) or to help buying a better amp or source, will bring much more advantage than the 1098 over the 1068, that is undeniable, except (perhaps) for an already high-end system.

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

I agree with csuzor...
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

Ya, I've always liked the simple look of the 1068 over the 1098. Although I've never done much sonic comparisions between the 2.

Comment

• pembroke
            • Jun 2005

You have a really great system, I have the 1098 and retired a Bryston BP25 preamp - a big mistake. I have been extremely dissapointed with the analog performance of the 1098, and have experimented using the 1098 as a DTS/Dolby processor with a good analog multi-channel preamp - I've used the Bel Canto Pre6 and the McCormack MAP-1. Both give much better hifi performance, in comparison the analog bypass of the 1098 is mediocre. I would buy a second hand Bel Canto Pre6 or MAP-1 and the $2000 Arcam processor.
            If you really want to get a great sound then try the Modwright preamp with a home theatre bypass mode, this is my latest configuration (along with the Modwright Sony 999ES) and its hifi heaven! I'm still using the 1098 as the processor, which it does reasonably well.

If you talk to Ayre Acoustics, or Bel Canto, they will give the same advice. Good hifi is not possible with digital preamps, and processing chips in todays processors are basically the same - consequently any reasonable processor will do the job.

I look forward to the follow up responses from the Rotel die hards with cloth ears!

Comment

• comeup
              • Jul 2005

If you narrowed it down to these two processors go for the big boy 1098 and forget about the 1068 or it will stay in the back of your mind always wondering if you should have bought the 98''''. I'm pretty sure the internal parts are much better like the dacs and so on. The 1098 in my opion is great looking also.

good luck
              Blake

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

The RSP-1098 does not use a true "bypass" feature for analog purists neither does the RSP-1068. As such I concur with pembroke that neither pre/pro can complete with the offerings from more prestigious pedigree, aka Bryston to name one. Still both target their respective audiences very well.

I have spent more time listening to the 1098 than I have with the 1068. In an A/B comparison I found the 1098 cleaner sounding but you may not notice any difference without the benefit of comparing the two side-by-side. Both share many of the same components. But the biggest difference between the two, other than the obvious TFT screen, comes from the separation of analog and digital circuit paths found on the 1098 and why perhaps why I noticed a lower noise floor.

A $700.00 price difference may not buy you much sonic improvement between the two pre/pros but at this level it really won't buy you much difference anywhere else either. As the law of diminishing returns starts to set in. In other word, you will need to spend a lot more than $700.00 to achieve more than just a minor improvement. Considering your already decent setup I would consider looking elsewhere. This coming from a strong Rotel supporter.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  Considering your already decent setup I would consider looking elsewhere. This coming from a strong Rotel supporter.
                  So RebelMan, where else would you look? You've mentioned Bryston. How do their offerings compare in price to Rotel's? Are there any other makes that don't cost a small fortune?

Comment

• Marcel B
                    • Nov 2004

If your main concern is stereo I would go with Pembroke's advice. Get a preamp or better keep the Krell and feed it with the L and R channel from the surround amplifier.
                    I don't know the Krell, but if it does not have a bypass you can set the volume at a fixed level (no need to set it to max). The 1068 would seem the better choice in this setup, although I have absolutely no regret for buying a 1098

Marcel

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                      So RebelMan, where else would you look? You've mentioned Bryston. How do their offerings compare in price to Rotel's? Are there any other makes that don't cost a small fortune?
                      Bryston of course! Namely their newest pre/pro, the SP2, which is actually an update to their highly praised SP 1.7.

If you are looking for uncompromising analog AND digital audio nothing can touch it. The SP2 is not your fathers' pre/pro. It is literally a dedicated pre-amplifier AND dedicated processor in one. Not a pre/pro compromise like the RSP-1098 is. When you consider the price of adding a dedicated Rotel RC-1090 pre-amplifier to the cost of a RSP-1098 you quickly approach the retail price of the SP2. I have heard both in analog bypass mode and the RC-1090/RSP-1098 combo is no SP2, not even close. Price is relative but when it comes to bang-for-the-buck, the SP2 is a must have for the discriminating audio enthusiast.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• acermena
                        • Dec 2005

1098 vs 1068

I have been told by high authority from someone in the know that there is little to no difference in sonic quality between the two units. The difference in sound some of you might be hearing is the variances between units which you get in any manufactor, I also learned that in Nov 2006 Rotel plans to replace the 1098 and 1068 with new models having HDMI. This has provided me with great interest since I have two HDMI components but only one input on my TV. So right now I am thinking of going with the 1068 and use my current preamp with the by pass then upgrade to the new 1098/1068. I also may get a used Classe preamp with a by pass which would help warm up the sound of my system, Currently my system sounds too bright due to the Krell equipment.

Please provide me with you comments, I appreciate everyones suggestions. Thanks.

Tony

Comment

• grit
                          • Jan 2005

No one's mentioned this yet, but I believe the 1098 does actually have different DAC's than the 1068. Even so, I usually read what everyone else here has posted - there's a very limited difference in sound quality for the price difference. I'd agree with whomever suggested you use the cost difference toward interconnects, cables, etc.

Comment

• Stevebez
                            • Oct 2003

If you dont need the TFT sceen I would say go for the 1068 - For me its fabulous - (streets ahead of my old 1066) but then again I have not heard the 1098. Also if space is at a premium 1068 may suit better. I really like the way the 1098 is put together though and looks real easy to swap out cards for HDMI .... mmm upgrade path here may be better.

So I am consfused now ... !!!! Check on the upgradability of the 1098. If it is a case of card swap out for next gen HDMI - it really should be the 1098.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"