• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hallett
    • Jun 2006

pre amp help options.

Hello guys i am very new at this. i need some help i have a new 1066 pre
    and a new Bryston 4-B SST amp on order with a new set of B&W 804
    speakers. how will this sound in 2 channel. is it possible to have the best of both worlds in this type of setup. and if so what do you recommend.
    i realy don't want to go to crazy on spending money on a bryston sp 2
    thanks for your help.
    Classe ssp-600
    Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
    Classe CDP-100
    B&W 802D :T ;x(
    Velodyne DD-18 :T
  • revelman
    • Jul 2006

In my opinion, the pre will make more of a difference than the amp at this stage. If 2channel listening if you thing, i would choose something other than the 1066 as the pre. The 4bsst is one bad ass amp.

Comment

• Bluespower
      • Sep 2005

I was in your mind set last winter when I became obsessed with improving my 2-chan while maintaining one listening room. You can incorporate a standard 2-chan pre with your 1066 if you don't mind doing a little fiddling with the controls OR you can look into a 2-chan pre that has a "pass thru" for the main channels from your processor. Below are some links to some pre amps that have the pass thru feature. I'm sure it is not a complete list nor does it contain discontinued models (like the Classe CP-50).

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

Simaudio is above all else a team of music enthusiasts. Our exceptional high-quality audio amplifiers and sound systems are made in Canada since 1980.

I ended up incorporating the ModWright with my 1068/1095. I have a 1072 connected to the ModWright and a 1060 connected to the 1068. I'm also using 804s as my main speakers and couldn't be happier.

Good luck in your quest!
      Bluespower

Comment

• Hallett
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Bluespower
        I was in your mind set last winter when I became obsessed with improving my 2-chan while maintaining one listening room. You can incorporate a standard 2-chan pre with your 1066 if you don't mind doing a little fiddling with the controls OR you can look into a 2-chan pre that has a "pass thru" for the main channels from your processor. Below are some links to some pre amps that have the pass thru feature. I'm sure it is not a complete list nor does it contain discontinued models (like the Classe CP-50).

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

Simaudio is above all else a team of music enthusiasts. Our exceptional high-quality audio amplifiers and sound systems are made in Canada since 1980.

I ended up incorporating the ModWright with my 1068/1095. I have a 1072 connected to the ModWright and a 1060 connected to the 1068. I'm also using 804s as my main speakers and couldn't be happier.

Good luck in your quest!
        Thanks bluespower for the great info called
        modwright and talked to them today got
        some very good info from them i just need
        to decide witch way i want to go with this.
        it sounds like your very happy with there
        amps. did you get a chance to check out
        any other amps before you picked
        modwright . thanks again for your help
        Classe ssp-600
        Classe CDP-100

Comment

• Bluespower
          • Sep 2005

I wish I could tell you that I was able to have auditioned ANY of the pre-amps before I made the purchase, but I can't. There aren't many dealers in my area and the one that carried the Musical Fidelity (that I was very stronly considering) is two hours away and didn't have one on the floor. He basically wanted a comittment to buy before he would get one in. The others were elimated one by one as I was able to read reviews or digest comments from owners in other forums like this one. The Six Moons review of the ModWright set the hook and a report that many exhibitors at CES were using his product gave me the confidence to make the buy.

I got two sets of tubes with my unit (Tung Sol and Jan Phillips 5687s). Dan recommends the Tung Sols as being smoother and a little stronger with bass. I had those installed for about six months and have just now tried the Jan Phillips. I think I like the Phillips sound a little better. To my ear, they seem to add a little "cripness" to the treble that I was missing before.

Is it a night and day difference over the Rotel... No. Is it noticable... Yes. Would I do it again... Yes.

FYI - I noticed that Audiogon has a MF A5 pre listed for $1,500 and a Classe CP-50 for $1,100. Happy hunting!
          Bluespower

Comment

• Hallett
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Bluespower
            I wish I could tell you that I was able to have auditioned ANY of the pre-amps before I made the purchase, but I can't. There aren't many dealers in my area and the one that carried the Musical Fidelity (that I was very stronly considering) is two hours away and didn't have one on the floor. He basically wanted a comittment to buy before he would get one in. The others were elimated one by one as I was able to read reviews or digest comments from owners in other forums like this one. The Six Moons review of the ModWright set the hook and a report that many exhibitors at CES were using his product gave me the confidence to make the buy.

I got two sets of tubes with my unit (Tung Sol and Jan Phillips 5687s). Dan recommends the Tung Sols as being smoother and a little stronger with bass. I had those installed for about six months and have just now tried the Jan Phillips. I think I like the Phillips sound a little better. To my ear, they seem to add a little "cripness" to the treble that I was missing before.

Is it a night and day difference over the Rotel... No. Is it noticable... Yes. Would I do it again... Yes.

FYI - I noticed that Audiogon has a MF A5 pre listed for $1,500 and a Classe CP-50 for $1,100. Happy hunting!
            Thanks for all the great info Bluespower. i'm in the same boat as you
            where i live there is nothing around i would need to drive a few hours to
            check other brands out. i have got some good info on both the modwright
            & the fidelity just need to make up my mind. Thanks again :T
            Last edited by Hallett; 19 August 2006, 23:42 Saturday.
            Classe ssp-600
            Classe CDP-100

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"