X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamie1340
    • Mar 2004

First post, Rotel Rsp 985

First, great forum.
    I have the chance to purchase a new old stock RSP 985, $700.00. I have no need for 6.1, 7.1 processing. I have read some opinions that the 985 is better in stereo over the 1066. What about home theater? I'm about 50/50 with movies and music. I will be upgrading from a yamaha DSP 2070. So I also need an amp. I've been looking at the RB 985. What should I do? My budget is $1500.00
    Thanks, Jamie1340
  • Robert
    • Jan 2004

I think your post is causing cognitive dissonance for some Club Rotel members. Some of these guys trade-up Rotel gear with every version release. They can't imagine someone wanting to go retro. For $950 to $1000, you can purchase a used RSP-1066. I've had mine for about two weeks and it is a significant upgrade to the Denon AVR-2801 I previously used as a pre/pro. I too have only a 5.1 system. In addition to terrific DTS and Dolby Digital playback for movies, I really enjoy DPL-II for both movies and music. However, if you dont' need the added flexibility of the 1066 and it doesn't bother you that the RSP-985 will depreciate in value as soon as you take delivery, it should work out just fine. I can't comment on the sonic differences as I have never heard the RSP-985, but I think I read an online review that touched on the issue at technofile.com.

I'm hanging on to my RMB-985 MKII and I feel no need to upgrade. It is a pretty solid amp. A used RMB-985 MKII can usually be found for about $550 to $600, with version 1 selling for around $475 to $525. There is definitely a way to get the gear you want and stay within your budget. Good luck!!

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Jamie,

I went (and in my opinion downgraded) from a 985 to a 1066. The 985 is hands down a better sounding unit over all. Hell it was $500 more retail and doesn't have all the new features. Of course, I wanted 7.1 and PLII. That said, if most the movies you watch are DVD, then get the 985. If there's a lot of DSS or cable in there, you might want to consider the 1066 for PLII. Nothing on the 985 can compare to stereo movies through PLII.

$700 is a little high, but if you are purchasing it from an authorized dealer then you will still get the 5 year warranty. Something that would be close to the end on a used one if you could somehow get them to transer the warranty. If it's not an authorized dealer, just hold out for one on Ebay. Early models had some DTS issues and you don't know how old-stock that one is.

You might be able to get a used 1075 in there and still make budget, but the RB985 does really well and would match.

Kevin D.

PS, I've got a 1098 now and my quality has returned.

Comment

• jamie1340
        • Mar 2004

Thanks, guys

I have sent the serial# to tech support and they are from the latest units. Which is good I feel better about spending the money knowing I would have warrantty through the dealer. The only thing holding me back is DPII,which I'm sure I would use and enjoy.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"