X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Cheapie High Contrast Screen?

I've got to be the weirdest guy on the FP forum.

Though I've had projectors (CRT and LCD) from 1987 onwards, since I sent off my Sony VPL-W400Q to ThomasW in 1999 or thereabouts, I haven't had one at home to use...

I built a screen for my 400Q which used a solid oak frame and bright white formica over 1/4" hardboard, and which hung on the wall. It was 72" diagonal 16:9 format, which doesn't sound all that big, unless you see it next to an RPTV- the vertical screen height is actually bigger than a 50" 4:3 RPTV by 6".

Two years ago, (just before the "bubble" popped) I though I'd be likely to get a new projector sometime in the coming year (didn't work out), so I worked on upgrading my screen, and adding a solid oak roll around base, so I could use it on a different wall in front of the fireplace, and move it out of position when I didn't need it. That was constructed, but not completely finished, and has languished in the garage, until now, because I need to make more working room in the garage for other projects. So, to finish it, I need to complete the wood finishing for the roll around base, but also was wondering if I could upgrade the screen surface, not being totally satisfied with the white formica.

I've read of others experimenting with different screen surfaces, including the Parkland plastics, and various after market coatings. One of the more interesting cases was from Neil Joseph, who found a high heat aluminum color paint by Tremco in Canadian HD's that he claimed was almost a perfect color match to a Steward Firehawk high contrast screen for digital projectors when dried.

In our local HD's, they don't carry anything labled "Tremco"; I found out on the web that the brand is sold in Australia and Canada. Interestingly, if you investigate on the web, you'll find that Tremco is part of RPM Inc., which also owns the "Rustoleum" brand- which is sold in the US HD's. After some careful perusing, I found a high heat Aluminum by Rustoleum, and purchased a few cans- enought to do two coats as a test.

Even when exercising great care to spray it lightly and uniformly, it doesn't look very even in color when wet. However, it dries to a very nice matt light silver gray after a half hour or so, and it does look very, very close to the Firehawk sample I've seen. Recommended full cure time is 1-2 days, depending on temperature. I put two coats on this Sunday, using two cans that cost less than $5 each. Who knows what the gain and other properties are, though? :roll:

Well, I'm going to go ahead an put another couple of coats on, then I'll see if I can borrow a 10HT that I helped "Smart" calibrate and setup for HTPC for an acquaintance last year in San Jose- and see just how this looks. If I can't get the 10HT, maybe I'll be able to borrow an Infocus at work, but I wouldn't put much stock in that, as the color reproduction of most of the models we have at work is pretty darn bad. (very purplish reds, terrible greens and yellows).

If it all pans out, I'll let you all know, and post a couple of pictures- heck, maybe even a true "screen shot"! :W

Regards,

Jon

PS: Yeah, I know, I need to get side tracked with somethign like this right now like I need a hole in the head!

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Interesting Jon. I'll be sure to follow this post for further updates.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

There was a big screen thread a couple of weeks ago on AVS where that exact paint (rustoleum) was recommended. It's the new hot ticket for DIY screens.

BB

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

in case "Tremco" is throwing the Canucks off it IS "Tremclad" that they're talking about...sold at Walmart, CanadianTire, Revy...oops pardon me Rona, Depot etc...

"A RONSTER!"
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Neil Joseph was the guy in that AVS thread who "stumbled" onto the Tremclad aluminum; I saw that post about half way through, and saved it; went back to it today and found the rest.

I'm going to try to put a couple of more coats on during the week, then test this weekend if possible. We'll see what we shall see.

Of course, when we all have Sony SXRCD projectors with 1500:1 contrast ratio or more, we can go back to DA-LITE Hi-Power screens and not worry about "enhancing" contrast... :W

But till then....

~Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by jonmarsh
            Of course, when we all have Sony SXRCD projectors with 1500:1 contrast ratio or more, we can go back to DA-LITE Hi-Power screens and not worry about "enhancing" contrast...
            So maybe I should sit tight with my Sony VPL-W400Q and Da-Lite Hi-Power screen until that future date when prices have dropped to affordable levels on the SXRCD projectors?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

In your shoes, I'd give that some serious thought, Burke, unless you just stumble into a pile of money you don't know what to do with in the meantime! :W

Seriously, an HS10 with the color correcting filter installed and Smart calibration is probably the extent of what I'd spend before something like SXRD is at an affordable level. I did a setup like that with a red enhancing filter for an acquaintance's VPL-W10HT, and the improvement was rather striking- the HS10 should have comparable performance, plus DVI.

It all just comes down to how Sony prices SXRD in FP, and what your definition of affordable is. My expectation is that initial FP units, which are replacing things like the G90, will be ~15K MSRP; which is a great value compared with what it's replacing, but not cheap- but priced just above the HD2 DLP's, which it should substantially outperform. Then in a year or two, they'll intro something with a smaller version of the chip (physically, probably not in resolution, though who knows?) and go after something more like the HS10/12HT market. Just a guess....

~Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                • Sep 2000

Aah, serendipitous. I've just replaced my old projector with an X1 and was thinking about a DIY screen. And I'm in Australia.

So I'll try out the magic paint and report back.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
                Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I'll be painting my screen shortly with the tremclad paint as well so I'm very curious to hear what Jon has to say about it.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                    • Sep 2000

I haven't found the magic paint, but I did find another aluminium paint which I tried.

Here are the results:

At the moment I have repainted the whole screen in grey, but will to continue to experiment.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
                    Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"