• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Carada Screen for my A/V setup

Hi Guys and Gals,

After buying my NEC-9PG+ projector, I knew I needed an upgrade to my screen system. My screen started out as a wall hanging Oak frame with bright white formica over an HDF sheet; this was later modified to a roll around format on a stand, for flexibilty. This was necessary because the only wall available at the end of the "long" throw of my room has a fireplace and patio door- not conducive to a normal wall mount screen system!

So, I decided I would want to upgrade my screen surface by using a wall mount screen from one of the established vendors. I investigated quite a few, but ended up choosing a Carada screen because they offered the size I needed with a nicer frame than the available alternatives, and at a better price.

The chosen screen was a 70" 16X9 with a brilliant white screen surface.

Carada's on line ordering system works quite smoothly, and they issue you a password for access to additional support services, with the promise to notify as soon as the screen is built and ready to ship. Surprisingly to me, I received notification that the screen shipped, on the same day I ordered it! This is plenty fast service, with out a doubt. Shipping was via Airborne/DHL, and it only took three days to get here from Alabama where Carada is located.

The screen was packed very nicely, and sections were individually wrapped and cushioned within the box. Here's all the mechanical bits; the screen is separately rolled and wrapped.

The first step to assembly is to layout the main screen frame peices with the snaps facing up; T's are marked on the pieces on the top side of the frame.

Note that the frame pieces are actually straight! The slight curve you see is due to the barrel distortion of my camera lens shooting this close.

Next, the hanger brackets for the frame are mounted, using self tapping screws; note that the holes appear to be pre-tapped, a nice detail which makes putting it together easier. All in all, the Carad screen shows evidence of a lot of thought and care in the design and execution.

After mouting the hangers on the top and bottom of the screen, the frame is flipped over, and the screen material it put on using the snaps. Note that the screen itself is marked for top and bottom also, making assembly a breeze.

The Carada wall mount screen comes standard with a nice matte flocking material applied, something which costs extra with brand "D".

Here's what the finished result looks like- it probably looks pretty small to those of you who are used to 100" plus screens, but since my focus is more on audio than video, this is a good compromise, and works well in my room- as far as my speakers are from the rear and side wall, a full line of sight to a larger screen wouldn't be possible.

How does it look? Well, with luck maybe I'll get the NEC-9PG+ fired up this weekend and be able to report back on that.

Regards,

Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Looking good Jon, they seem to be well designed units :T Let us know how the viewing experience goes. What size is that anyways...?

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

The original screen I built was 72" diagonal; and the Carada 70" diagonal mounted on it just fine. The outside of the frame is 65" wide, and 38-1/2" tall.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"