• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Rotel running B&W speakers.

Hello folks,
    I have been thinking alot about Rotel mated with B&W speakers. Running everything under N series I feel is Ideal. But when you get to N series I believe you can do a alittle better or better put the speakers could use alittle better.

I see alot of guys using Rotel with N series speakers and is the big reason for this thead. I was going to post it the B&W speaker area but I felt it also belongs here.

Do you guys feel Rotel is enough to power N series speakers?? Is it a price to value ratio? I have my opnions on this but would like to hear from Rotel/B&W owners as well.

Thanks for your time

Dan
  • martino
    • Aug 2004

I run this 5.1 system:
    B&W 803Sx2
    B&W 805Sx2
    B&W HTM3
    REL Q150 Sub
    I have had no trouble what so ever with this set up..I feel the reproduction of both music and HT is excellent with no decernable distortion.

I bought Rotel for it's Value and good looks.
    If someone was going to buy me the amp of my choice ($ no object) Of course It would not be Rotel..but thats like saying would you rather drive a Ferrari or Acura.

I love my Rotel gear :T

Martin

Comment

• yourtoys7
      • Feb 2006

I'm running B&W 804S with Rotel 1057 + will add amp. later on, but for now: very, very happy......
      Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
      PSB T6,
      Velodyne SPL 1000R
      Rotel RSX-1057
      Rotel RB-1070
      OPPO 103
      Apple TV
      [

Comment

• Hallett
        • Jun 2006

I have a new set of 804's and ordered a new Bryston4Bsst amp but
        im still waiting to get it. i was told they sound very good together.
        i should have it in a week or so. :
        Classe ssp-600
        Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
        Classe CDP-100
        B&W 802D :T ;x(
        Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

If I could afford them I would have Classe products. Rotel fits the bill for now; good value for the $$.

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Rotel has enough power to drive Nautilus, but something like Classe or McIntosh will give you the sound you paid for. All "FST" B&W's will profit from top-end electronics. Not that Rotel will sound bad, but the other stuff is in another league.

You will have to listen for yourself to see if it is worth it I guess

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jim777
              Rotel has enough power to drive Nautilus, but something like Classe or McIntosh will give you the sound you paid for. All "FST" B&W's will profit from top-end electronics. Not that Rotel will sound bad, but the other stuff is in another league.

You will have to listen for yourself to see if it is worth it I guess
              I have and found that Krell runs N series the best. I really like the 801's on FPB300 mono's but thats another story.
              Rotel seems to be great great. Great sounding and price to performance ratio is very high. I saw alot of cats running N series in the Pic section and wondered why they choose Rotel to fit that bill. I know the older CDM series sounded great with Rotel along with everything else but N series even the 804's I felt sounded better with other gear. Personal opnion maybe but I was looking for reason why people choose Rotel for N series speakers.

Thanks again guys and keep it coming.

Dan

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

Rotel is great, but for stereo systems and a slightly higher budget, Rega is choosed by most at my dealer.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                  • Jul 2006

Rotel will drive them perfectly simply get a 1090. It is a good if not better than anything in its power range regardless of price.

Comment

• Ryoma
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Dmantis
                    Hello folks,
                    I have been thinking alot about Rotel mated with B&W speakers. Running everything under N series I feel is Ideal. But when you get to N series I believe you can do a alittle better or better put the speakers could use alittle better.

I see alot of guys using Rotel with N series speakers and is the big reason for this thead. I was going to post it the B&W speaker area but I felt it also belongs here.

Do you guys feel Rotel is enough to power N series speakers?? Is it a price to value ratio? I have my opnions on this but would like to hear from Rotel/B&W owners as well.

Thanks for your time

Dan
                    Hi,
                    I've been thinking that Rotel amps are inadequate to B&W 800 series. They need stuff as Bryston, Classé, Gryphon etc. In my circle nearly everyone reckons Rotel/B&W a scarse pairing...

I own a pair of Audience 82 too: they're way better than B&W till 700 series.
                    e.g, a model as 72 SE fits almost every need or requirement, the fact is Dynaudio is not largely known in US/Canada.

Comment

• kurtholz
                      • Feb 2005

Rotel won't sound in the same league as Krell or classe or many other real high end amps, i used a Rotel 1095 bi-amped to my 802d's, then did the same with a Krell HTS 5 channel, the difference is significant

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Ryoma
                        Hi,
                        I've been thinking that Rotel amps are inadequate to B&W 800 series. They need stuff as Bryston, Classé, Gryphon etc. In my circle nearly everyone reckons Rotel/B&W a scarse pairing...

I own a pair of Audience 82 too: they're way better than B&W till 700 series.
                        e.g, a model as 72 SE fits almost every need or requirement, the fact is Dynaudio is not largely known in US/Canada.
                        I have not had the chance to go listen to the new B&W series. I'd like to hear them. When I listened to the CDM series the Dynaudio Audience smoked them. I gotta go check them out.

Dan

Comment

• miner
                          • Mar 2005

I have a pair of N804 and a ASW800 sub. My Rotel RC1090 & RB-1092 drive them just fine. I will admit, if I could afford the Classe amd & pre I would probably have them. For the $$$ ($2800 for pre and amp) I spent the Rotel is very good. I would be lucky to get a Classe pre for that price.

Comment

• Ryoma
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by miner
                            For the $$$ ($2800 for pre and amp) I spent the Rotel is very good. I would be lucky to get a Classe pre for that price.
                            That's the point: it doesn't make sense to spend such an amount to drive speakers as the 804s - about 2000/each. It's a shame, except when you are in temporary conditions, that is you're in between to upgrade, buying the speakers first, then the amplification.

Comment

• Ryoma
                              • Aug 2006

When I listened to the CDM series the Dynaudio Audience smoked them. I gotta go check them out.
                              I've noted a picture you posted where there were a pari of Audience 82.
                              You were talking about family: are they someone's of your relatives?
                              My pair is in cherry finish, but with black front panel.

Comment

• Ryoma
                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by kurtholz
                                Rotel won't sound in the same league as Krell or classe or many other real high end amps, i used a Rotel 1095 bi-amped to my 802d's, then did the same with a Krell HTS 5 channel, the difference is significant
                                Yes, and it's important to part quantity from quality of sound. Many members of this forum are meaning "to drive" only in quantity terms, as if a 200W/ch. Rotel would be sufficient to feed almost every speaker, while many 100W/ch. competitors of a certain "breed" let the same speakers letterally sing, thoung a little less louder.

Comment

• Ryoma
                                  • Aug 2006

thoung
                                  though, obviously

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                    • Jan 2003

Rotel gear does fine in my HT where I have N805s, HTM2 center and 601S2 rears. The RMB-1075 amp gives me everything I need for home theater and occasional music. My serious listening is reserved for my two-channel system, N804s powered by a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated coupled with a Rel Storm III sub. Smooth, effortless and an incredible soundstage. When I paired the 804s with a Rotel 1080 amp, the music sounded a little thin and strained. The Musical Fidelity, on the other hand, seems to provide everything the speakers need to really sing.

Comment

• Camelot
                                      • Aug 2006

I have N805, HTM2 and SCM1,s all powered by an RSX 1056. The mains (SCM1's) are supported by 2 REL Strata III's. I use this setup for 2 years and I am very happy. Currently I don't feel the need for an upgrade.
                                      If I could afford I would upgrade to 802D with Classe amplification.

Comment

• ac81017
                                        • Aug 2006

B&W

Hi there, I nocticed that you have B&W 800 series, and yet you run them with a REL sub! Why not a B&W 800 series sub? I also have 5.0 with the 800 series, and I´m going to buy the B&W 825 tomorrow, well I might just hang to hear why you are using a REL??? 8O

Comment

• miner
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ac81017
                                          Hi there, I nocticed that you have B&W 800 series, and yet you run them with a REL sub! Why not a B&W 800 series sub? I also have 5.0 with the 800 series, and I´m going to buy the B&W 825 tomorrow, well I might just hang to hear why you are using a REL??? 8O
                                          Do you mind saying what you are paying for the ASW825? I have an ASW800 I need a mate for and the ASW825 is the closests available sub. I haven't been able to locate a used ASW800 yet. Thanks.

BTW, I got my ASW800 (new- after being discontinued) for $1100.

Comment

• Camelot
                                            • Aug 2006

Hi AC,

I am using the REL STRATA III because they are very musical and they can be integrated smoothly. I am listening to to music for 80% and 20% HT.
                                            IMO the Strata III is the most musical sub I've ever heard. Besides that you can connect the REL "highlevel" meaning that it is directyl connected to your speaker binding posts of your amp. As a result it receives the same signal going to your mains and you can set the roll off frequency on your REL just below the roll off frequency of your mains.

Comment

• Russ L
                                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ac81017
                                              I´m going to buy the B&W 825 tomorrow
                                              ac- Hold off on that purchase until you give the Velodyne DD series a listen. Also listen to the REL subs... considered to be perhaps the best sub around :T especially the Stadium III or Stentor III. I think they're more money than the B&W 825 but the 800 series speakers deserve the best.-Russ
                                              Russ

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jun 2004

I've noted a picture you posted where there were a pari of Audience 82.
                                                You were talking about family: are they someone's of your relatives?
                                                My pair is in cherry finish, but with black front panel.
                                                I own all Dynaudio speakers. Audience 82's, 122c , 42w , 42w's and a sub500 all in maple finish. I have the newer models with the dark silver/grey front with silver trim rings. I run the entire thing with Rotel rsp1068,RMB1095 and I need a amp for the surround backs and I'm thinking of switching to all digital amps or adding a rb1080 for the fronts and running everything else off the rmb1095.

Dan

Comment

• Ryoma
                                                  • Aug 2006

I run the entire thing with Rotel rsp1068,RMB1095 and I need a amp for the surround backs and I'm thinking of switching to all digital amps or adding a rb1080 for the fronts and running everything else off the rmb1095.
                                                  I run the 82's with a RB-1070 and I'm thinking to upgrade to 1080.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Camelot
                                                    Hi AC,

I am using the REL STRATA III because they are very musical and they can be integrated smoothly. I am listening to to music for 80% and 20% HT.
                                                    IMO the Strata III is the most musical sub I've ever heard. Besides that you can connect the REL "highlevel" meaning that it is directyl connected to your speaker binding posts of your amp. As a result it receives the same signal going to your mains and you can set the roll off frequency on your REL just below the roll off frequency of your mains.
                                                    Rel Subs for music I can think of nothing better. I have Installed Rel subs for years and every single install I leave with a smile on my face. Excellent subs. For theater however there alittle tricky to get setup for max performance. Most of the time there fine but I had a few times where I had to work hard to get it to perform the way the client wanted it. They don't BOOM or get muddy so some people think there not performing correctly. Actually they sound better doing movies then most other subs. Very smooth and clean.

I would own a Rel Storm III if the Dynaudio Sub500 didn't perform as well as it does. I still don't know if I made the right choice.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"