X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lastexit
    • Feb 2011

Newer Rotel vs Michi Series?

I remember Rotel made a statement line during the 90s called the Michi series. This series was known to use higher quality parts and compete with the big boys, but it came at a higher cost than usual Rotel products. And, from what I recall, was more popular in Europe than America.

But my question is: is it worth shelling out the money for used Michi series products? Are they that much better sonically and build-wise than amps/preamps from the 15 and 10 series?
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

I have no idea if they're better than the 15 series. But my understanding is they're superior to the 10 series.

I would have gone with Michi rather than the 10 series, if not for the following.

1. I hate the design.
    2. Stereo only.
    3. Rarely sold making it difficult to put together a complete setup.

Comment

• gfcf42489
      • Oct 2011

Very good.

I don't think we will see the return of any Michi-type product since it would cause a bit of conflict with Classe IMO -- the brand B&W markets for its high end audience.

Comment

• lastexit
        • Feb 2011

Thanks. I was interested on the RHA-10 preamp which was selling on Audiogon. Here's an interesting quote from a review by The Audio Critic many years ago.

"Overall, the Rotel RHA-10 is a damn good unit, but I just don't see $1800's worth of preamp under the cover. At $900 or even $1000 I'd be wild about it."

So it looks like an excellent series, just overpriced for what it was. Still, I'd happily own it just for its looks!
        Last edited by lastexit; 17 January 2012, 23:48 Tuesday.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Still an RHB-10 Michi amp on the 'Gon.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

It's their looks and few remaining examples that keep the price artificially high, IMHO.

If one were purchased, a full re-cap and refurbishment would be required to wring out the performance capability of the unit.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• haran635
              • Jan 2012

I am currently trialling the RC 1550 which has lead me to purchase a 1580 coming from Aus in the next week or two....cost half the price of the 1550 in NZ in Aus...anyway I am replacing my RHC-10 with the RC 1580. My verdict is still to be completed, I have run this 1550 for 2 days now and think it needs another day before it hits potential. I have read else where that it peaks to start, then slips and finally stabilises if that makes sense. Well it is driving the RHB-10 with a lot more control than the RHC-10 passive, at this stage the detail is very similar and the you can almost feel the difference in how it drives the 3 way set up of the paradigm monitor 9's that have been well used for 6 years and I still struggle to hear anything better off this amp at this stage. My concern is the midrange is pushed slightly to much and the cabinets resonate with the new active pre. The sound from the michi was perfect but took a lot to full the room say for a movie/party type music. Hence I am looking to buy another one but can I only find it in UK and USA. I will let you know how it sounds once I have the 1580.

1500 series has made it better for movies/mp3 quality music.
              RHC-10 still sounds better for my high quality streamed and CD music.

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Quality review ! I look forward to reading the conclusion , and welcome to HTGuide!
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• haran635
                  • Jan 2012

Cheers Alaric, it may be a little bit muddled but this purchase is a mourning gift to myself as my father passed away on Tuesday. I will to a better job when I get the 1580, which I hope drives the old Michi better...then on to Bi-amping some RHB-10's Would love to hear from people who have done this. I will be looking at doing it horizontally at his stage.
                  Thanks for the welcome!

Comment

• haran635
                    • Jan 2012

Update! I now have two michi!

Well I am now married honeymooned and in the process of buying a business with me wife who is the most amazing wife! When we got home from our honeymoon, open the front door and there is a huge box waiting there for me. My wedding present. Another RHB-10 to add to my collection! It has been well looked after as well as the RCA's have been replaced. It is cleaner internally than mine, so I think I will dismantle mine and get the air gun out. First time I did this, I found a dead mouse mummified behind my power switch! Will attach a photo next time. Anyway so now I have the RC1580 which is waiting for me to collect in Sydney and the two RHB's. Am excited but have no idea where I am going to fit the both of them. The new one sounds a little lazy, but it has been rarely used for the passed couple of years and after 1 week of playing it sounds fine to me.
                    Wish me luck!

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

My condolences regarding your father , and congratulations as regards your wife! You have been the busy one! Very nice score on the RHB. I wish I could help you with "storing" some gear , but it would be a bit of a drive , lol.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"