New Rotel Owner...and a little peeved with my dealer...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slowrey
    • Aug 2006

New Rotel Owner...and a little peeved with my dealer...

Okay I hate the fact that I have to buy Rotel from a Rotel dealer in my area. Here's the prime example of why.

Research
    I went into a Home Theater Store to discuss replacing my Pioneer Elite 55TXi and my Integra Research DTR-7.1 Receivers. I spoke to a salesman about the Rotel gear. I've always liked it however I found it pricey and bare bones. After doing a bit of research I decided to look at the RSX-1057. When speaking to the salesman he indicated that I could do a couple things that I liked.

Misinformation
    The first was that he stated that the 1057 was the only piece that Rotel had that allowed HDMI and component video inputs as well as outputs. He also told me that it did upsampling however it did not do upscaling. I thought that would be great to run one wire from my receiver to the projector.

The second was that he stated that although the receiver is a 7.1 processor receiver it only had 5 channels built in. He said no problem that if I wanted to upgrade to the 7.1 system all I would have to buy would be a RB-1080 and I could use that 2x200 watt to power my fronts and then reassign the other amps to power the last 2 speakers.

Quality Control Issues
    Well I bought the receiver and brought it home. I liked it although it was a bit lacking in features compared to the new Elite models and Denon models. However, I liked the look a lot.

First problem I had was the remote kept freezing up on me and the LCD would go blank. I called the salesman and he said he'd contact Rotel and get me a replacement.

Second problem I had was that I noticed that the HDMI output was VERY loose compared to the two HDMI inputs on the unit. I called the salesman and he stated that he would contact Rotel to find out if that is normal. He was out and stated that he would do that as soon as he got back however the day he was planning on contacting Rotel was the 8th day that I owned it and that I wouldn't be able to return or exchange it since they only have a 7 day return policy.

Exchange and more misinformation
    Well I took it in on the 6th day and they exchanged it out no problem. However while I was there I was speaking to them about a couple of items.

First I spoke to them about buying a new amp. Possibly a new RB-1080. After speaking to the manager I found out that even if I bough the amp, I could not reassign the rest of the power supplies so I'd only have a 2x200 +3x75 watt receiver. That greatly pissed me off.

Second I spoke to the salesman about buying the new RLC-1040 and he said that the only one worth buying would be the RLC-1080. I stated that I didn't feel like spending $1500 and that the only differences I knew between the two was that one had battery backup and one didn't. That they both did Auto Voltage Regulating. He stated no. He also told me that Panamax was much better than the APCC brand and that the Rotel wasn't any good. He said that I would do much better buying a $800 Richard Gray power brick.

Dilemma
    So after this saga, I feel like I got duped. The reason for non-online sales and for regional dealers is to control that quality and the higher level of information for the buyer. However, I've been told too many things I don't know what to believe anymore. After all of these I only got a 10% discount and a bad taste in my mouth about trusting the dealer. I would continue to buy from them if they gave me more of a discount and I would do my OWN research. What's the normal discount for these types of products?

What do I do? They are the ONLY dealer in the area.
    ____

Sean
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

First I'll clear up some known's:

The 1057 is HDMI switching only, no other inputs will convert over to them.
    (dealer wrong in a bad way)

The built in amps on the 1057 CAN be reassigned. The front channels can either be center rears or zone 2. (dealer wrong in a good way)

I'm 99% sure the 1040 does voltage regulation. And the fact they just came out (to good reviews) I can't see how they would be able to recommend them or not.

Rotel is know for better sound quality with less features. If you're weighing a lot of your issues on regretting not getting all the latest features I don't think the 1057 will ever make you happy.

Now, about your problem dealer. The problems you're having with the dealer restrictions are also your saving grace. Because of the tight control Rotel is interested in how they're doing. Feel free to call Rotel directly and let them know! I'm sure they would love to hear about the lack of knowledge and their lack of concern.

Also keep in mind the tight dealer control is going to really help you out when you go to sell it later on. Your return is going to be a lot higher then your Pioneer or Integra.

Please let us know how it goes, but definitely call Rotel.

Kevin D.

Comment

• slowrey
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
      First I'll clear up some known's:

The built in amps on the 1057 CAN be reassigned. The front channels can either be center rears or zone 2. (dealer wrong in a good way)

Kevin D.

How do you reassign them? I looked through the manual and didn't see ANYTHING. I'm confused now.
      ____

Sean

Comment

• slowrey
        • Aug 2006

Okay I found that feature... it's in the default menu setting under Front Redirect
        ____

Sean

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

One caveat to the redirect is that you have to do a factory default right after choosing where to redirect the amps. This resets everything in the amp, so be sure to save your settings.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

I dunno about your HTS, but the Home Theater Store I go to in Austin, TX has had some of the most clueless, ridiculous salespeople I have ever seen in audio. Ever. I'm looking at some Rotel gear for myself and I'm looking for anyplace else to get it.

Comment

• Marlboroman
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by slowrey
              First problem I had was the remote kept freezing up on me and the LCD would go blank. I called the salesman and he said he'd contact Rotel and get me a replacement.
              The RR-1060 remote is acting as it should. The display shuts off to conserve the batteries. You have to hit a button to "wake it" back up. This is normal for this remote control.

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

Please let me know your dealer's location and the salesman's name so I don't use him - I have bought many items from THS with no problems. In fact, the most knowledgable salesperson I have dealt with is Steve in their clearance center in Houston.

10% is all I have gotten off of Rotel. 15% off of B&W (25% if discontinued item).

Comment

• slowrey
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Marlboroman
                  The RR-1060 remote is acting as it should. The display shuts off to conserve the batteries. You have to hit a button to "wake it" back up. This is normal for this remote control.
                  Well it goes blank even with the light on and I can push buttons but the LCD didn't reappear. I had to remove the batteries and reinsert them to get the LCD to come back.
                  ____

Sean

Comment

• Amphiprion
                    • Apr 2006

Hey Slowrey,

Yeah, I feel your pain with the HTS on Burnet. Last time I was there I was looking at TV's with my Dad (Mitsu DLP for the living room). I started chatting with the sales guy about audio and he started telling me about this awesome B&W subwoofer they just got in. I quote...

"Awesome 15" sub... super light cone... 3000 watt class A amplifier, not C or D like those other guys use..cracked the window out front..." It just got worse from there, with statements like there are only 4 companies in the world that make their own drivers, I mean I could just go on.

It was painful, and he cost himself both a TV sale and my business on any Rotel gear I might buy. This was the second such experience I've had there. This was with a younger but tall/well built dark haired fellow, didn't catch his name. Also got some bad misinfo during a conversation with the old fellow (manager I think) who took like a 2 second pause before he said anything.

There was one kid working there, who knew a bit about sound recording/studio stuff that I had a good chat with. I don't know if he knew their products well or not, but I at least felt like the guy knew a decent bit about audio. He's the youngest fellow I've seen working there.

Anway, good luck with the Rotel stuff - I like their gear a lot and I think you will too once you get all these issues worked out. And it'll retain it's value like you won't believe.

Comment

• slowrey
                      • Aug 2006

I just wish there were more Rotel dealers in my area than just one. I like having choices on where to buy rather than being stuck with mediocre service or mis-information.

I have been searching through this forum and audiogon to buy some used amps however, I am always a bit late on each deal I find.
                      ____

Sean

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Rotel has always been behind in features. If you compare to Denon, Denon will win hands down.Rotel is not the company to go with for latest and greatest.

Rotel is a audiophiles receiver. It sounds better then most receivers on the market. It cost to performance ratio on sound quality is off the charts.

I owned Denon and Rotel and I would never go back to a mass market receiver. I perfer the sound quality over what I can do with it. But Rotel in my opnion needs to upgrade to be with the times.

Good luck man

Dan

Comment

• sirbogey
                          • Mar 2006

slowrey, I feel your pain. I haven't found knowledgeable high end dealers here in London for 3 years now, and I've been to couple of shops. There are good guys but they don't deal Rotels... The majority is simply disappointing. My shop in Zurich is first class though. The guy has been in business for 19y and the advice you get is simply the most valueable thing on earth. I hope you can find somebody like this. Why not making a weekend trip to a different city..? I'm travelling to a different country to get my Rotels...

Comment

• benny
                            • Jan 2005

If the manager isn't helpful, or isn't interested in knowing that his employees are giving false info, you should contact the OWNER of the business. I'm aware that it's a chain store, and the line might be long, but there is always a way to get to the "Big Guy". He's the person that will care if his business if being badmouthed and avoided by consumers. Good luck with that. In my own experience, 10% off is standard. Also, when, not if, you have warranty issues just contact Rotel and handle it yourself. The 3 year in-house Rotel-certified warranty coverage was a joke at my DFW dealer. The warranty was honored but I know they sat on it for a week and then still "had to send it off" to Rotel. This happened more than once...

Comment

• slowrey
                              • Aug 2006

Well I bought the RLC-1040 and I couldn't be any happier with it. It's quite a nice piece. So nice in fact that my best friend bought one too.

Funny how the salesman keeps calling and asking for the receipt number. Apparently another salesman is taking his commissions. ::sigh::
                              ____

Sean

Comment

• Nick M
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

1. Do all your own research.
                                2. 15% is what we get off in my area.
                                ~Nick

Comment

• slowrey
                                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                                  1. Do all your own research.
                                  2. 15% is what we get off in my area.
                                  I get your recommendations however, the biggest issue I have is if you HAVE to buy from an authorized dealer, then you shouldn't have to do research on facts and features of the product. They should know.

Buying a TV from Wal-Mart I know that I won't get my answers answered but I do know I get a great price. If I have to buy from a specific dealer I should get all of my questions answered correctly the first time.
                                  ____

Sean

Comment

• Nick M
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Unfortunately at many of the larger hifi shops those floor-guys are making the same amount as the Walmart worker. I guess some get a cut of the salesprice too, but you get my drift.

Same goes with buying a vehicle. Most car salesmen don't know crap about the vehicle you're about to spend tens of thousands on. They get an overview tour and some numbers to memorize, then regurgitate that $#!t on you.

Of course there are plenty of small A/V shops where the people truely care about what they're doing. Usually these guys own their own shops. A local dealer near me that sells Arcam and Paradigm products has this type of intimacy.

Anyhoo, I find that doing my own research at places like this forum and the manufacturer's site is the safest way to spend my hard-earned benjamins.
                                    ~Nick

Comment

• slowrey
                                      • Aug 2006

My theory is that if they have enough time to browse Myspace in front of the customer than they have enough time to do some research on the product that they are selling no matter what their wage is.
                                      ____

Sean

Comment

• Nick M
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Perhaps from a business and customer perspective, but from theirs it's just another hour to go before punching out.

If I was making $8/hr I wouldn't give a crap either. If you get fired you just go next door to the next dirt-wage establishment. Perhaps if they had something to lose they might have some motivation.
                                        ~Nick

Comment

• slowrey
                                          • Aug 2006

Perhaps from a business and customer perspective, but from theirs it's just another hour to go before punching out.

If I was making $8/hr I wouldn't give a crap either. If you get fired you just go next door to the next dirt-wage establishment. Perhaps if they had something to lose they might have some motivation.
                                          Bingo that's the problem. If you accept an $8/hr job than you should do the work required and have pride. If you have the attitude that you apparently do then maybe they shouldn't even work because it sounds like they're lazy, have no pride in what they do or go out and get a better job that they actually work.

Sorry for the rant however your last statement peeves me. Maybe I'm a different generation however, if you accept a job and get paid for it, maybe you should actually work at doing the job 100% and if you hate it then quit. You're only costing the company money wasting their time on you.
                                          ____

Sean

Comment

• gd
                                            • Jan 2003

Either way, you're doing yourself a gross disservice if you don't research thoroughly for yourself first... I've seen staff at high- and low-end stores, with good and bad intentions, simply get incorrect information... modern HT gear is complicated, and strives to serve an array of demands and tastes... no wage-earner can be expected to know it all to your exact wishes... (PS, I'm a geezer, too – but I trust no one!)

The other practical rationale to do your homework is that it gives you quite a bit more leverage while haggling price, if you go in knowing and clearly articulating what you want in the first place... if they spend have to more time walking you thru all possibilities, they'll be less likely to give greater discounts (another stated goal).
                                            greg (gd to you)
                                            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Club1820
                                              • Jan 2006

slow rey, mind if I ask if you paid full price or got a discount on the 1040? My dealer here says they are so hot - that he cant offer any discount.

thanks.
                                              Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• slowrey
                                                • Aug 2006

GD-

I agree research is key when looking for high end items, however my questions I asked weren't too techie. It's not like I asked what type of capacitors were used inside the unit or what the THD was at 2 ohms blah blah. It's a bit embarrassing when you're standing in front of four sales guys and the manager and all of them can't agree on a feature set.

Heck I went to an Arcam dealer and asked if their 350 did upconverting and he didn't even know. So I asked him if I took it home and if it didn't work out could I bring it back and he said nope. It's pretty amazing that for a $2500 receiver that the dealer sells they dont' know those simple things.

Club-
                                                I didn't pay full price, I got 10% off of it.
                                                ____

Sean

Comment

• Nick M
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2004

If you accept an $8/hr job than you should do the work required and have pride.
                                                  :roflmao:

I'm in the real world here... :B

I guess we have to agree to disagree. :T
                                                  ~Nick

Comment

• slowrey
                                                    • Aug 2006

:roflmao:

I'm in the real world here... :B

I guess we have to agree to disagree. :T

But of course If we didn't have anything to disagree with then we'd all be lemmings :lol:
                                                    ____

Sean

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"