X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minivan
    • Jan 2005

Rotel 1056 analog bypass question

Easy folks,

just upgraded from RA-1062 to a HT setup with a RSX-1056. I haven't quite tweaked it to perfection yet. I'm running Monitor Audio GR10's and Rel Q201E sub. Haven't hooked up the rest of the speakers yet, but got some B&W's 601's for rears.

Anyway, 2 channel stereo doesn't sound as good as the 1062. I'm sure it can be improved on. I turned on the analogue bypass opion on the CD channel. It doesn't seem to let me however on the video channels. I currently have an analogue input plugged it to it (Apple AirTunes).

I have two questions:

1. Do I need to plug AirTunes into a different channel to utilise the analogue bypass?

2. If I use digital Toslink cable to connect a devise, would it be better quality than using anague bypass as it would use the Rotel DAC instead of AirTunes DAC?

Any help appreciated.

cheers,

Minivan

PS. AirTunes is Apple's wireless device. http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/airtunes.html
    ----------------------------------
    Rotel RSX-1056, B&W 805S front, HTM4S centre, DS8S surround, REL Q201E sub
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

I'd say use the analogue bypass for your CD and connect your AirTunes with a digital connection and let is use the DACs on the RSX-1056. The stereo option will then use the 2 fronts but will do some filtering and pass LF to your sub (depending on your crossover settings).
    Dave

Comment

• Minivan
      • Jan 2005

That's the setting I've just done. The digital connection sounds more detailed on AirTunes than before when it was analogue. I've set the subwoofer to 'OFF' for music though as I use a high-level filter for the sub.

The cd is set to 'bypass' and i've EQ'd it to rolloff at 80hz for dvds.

Will just enjoy now and only tweak if necessary.

All I need now is a centre channel speaker. Top of the list is Monitor Audio GR Centre. Anyone got this speaker?

cheers fellas
      ----------------------------------
      Rotel RSX-1056, B&W 805S front, HTM4S centre, DS8S surround, REL Q201E sub

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Use a TosLink connection from the Airport Express to your RSX-1056, the Airport Express internal DAC is no where near in the same league. With a digital connection (and after encoding with Apple-Lossless) you will have a bit perfect source, the sound will be determined by the DAC's in the 1056, and you should notice a very large improvement.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Minivan
          All I need now is a centre channel speaker. Top of the list is Monitor Audio GR Centre. Anyone got this speaker?
          I don't have it, but that's the one to get.

Voice-matching in a multichannel speaker setup is important -- especially in the fronts & center... somewhat less important in the rears, but even there I'd recommend the MA Golds, or at least stick with some MA model.

They make excellent speakers, btw... but you prolly know that by now.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"