X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

B&W ASW675 verses REL Q201E

Looking to replace my ASW1000 great sub for movies but too boomy for music I like the (B&W ASW675 and the REL Q201E) has anyone used either one of these great subs and what do you love or hate about them.
    Blake
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by comeup
    Looking to replace my ASW1000 great sub for movies but too boomy for music I like the (B&W ASW675 and the REL Q201E) has anyone used either one of these great subs and what do you love or hate about them.
    Ended up with REL Q201E
    Blake

Comment

• bsodmike
      • Dec 2005

Subwoofer boom - could it be position in the room causing it? If it is near a corner it will sound more boomy than if it was somewhere closer to them middle...

I've got the ASW675 and absolutely love it. It does tend to be a bit 'boomy' on EQ B, but I find on EQ A it is a bit more relaxed and perfect for movies and music...

You could also play with your receivers 'sub distance' setting, see if setting it farther away has an effect, I've read that it does!

--Mike
      Home Theatre: Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz - Connected to an Apple Cinema HD Display 23-inch widescreen and a LG 42" Plasma TV | Denon AVR-3805 7.1 AV Receiver | Denon DVD-3910 DVD Player (Multi-Region + Denon Link 3rd Edition) | Rotel RB1080 (2x 200W) | Rotel RB1070 (2x130W, true bi-amping for centre) | Bowers & Wilkins LCR600 (center), DM602 S3 with 2x 3m Nordhost Solar Winds (fronts), DM601 S3 (surround), ASW675 (subwoofer) & QED cabling

Comment

• comeup
        • Jul 2005

Rel advises to put sub in a corner alot of other companies advise the opposite maybe turning down the Volume to the bare mini could help, then turn it up a bit for movies. Takes time to get it right.

first day back from vacation have to go to work

peace
        Blake

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Subwoofer boom - could it be position in the room causing it? If it is near a corner it will sound more boomy than if it was somewhere closer to them middle...
          It's the room and not necessarily the corner. Different rooms exhibit different effects on bass. Most companies emphasize putting the sub in the corner because it tends to amplify the bass a bit.

The best thing to do is walk around the room with your sub and decide which place sounds best.

Lastly you shouldn't need to turn your sub up or down for music/movies. Generally when doing that you are upsetting the calibrated level. If at calibrated level you aren't getting enough bass for your tastes for movies(especially) then likely the sub is incapable of producing the raw spl's you require.

Comment

• bsodmike
            • Dec 2005

I'm guessing calibrating the sub to say 85dBs is ok? (i.e. 75dB for the rest, and 77dB on the centre)
            Home Theatre: Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz - Connected to an Apple Cinema HD Display 23-inch widescreen and a LG 42" Plasma TV | Denon AVR-3805 7.1 AV Receiver | Denon DVD-3910 DVD Player (Multi-Region + Denon Link 3rd Edition) | Rotel RB1080 (2x 200W) | Rotel RB1070 (2x130W, true bi-amping for centre) | Bowers & Wilkins LCR600 (center), DM602 S3 with 2x 3m Nordhost Solar Winds (fronts), DM601 S3 (surround), ASW675 (subwoofer) & QED cabling

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Generally you calibrate your sub equal to your mains.That level depends on which calibration disc you use. Some are 85db, some are 75. In reality the #'s are the same as one disc has tones recorded at the wrong level. I believe it was DVE but I need to research that again.

Comment

• bsodmike
                • Dec 2005

Oh sorry, I was talking about the test tones/pink noise. I was reading this:

With a calibration DVD and sound level meter in hand, you can play a test pattern and set levels for your speakers.

So yea 75 is about right...

Thanks

Comment

• comeup
                  • Jul 2005

Read what both of you have had to say, went to that site, went back and reset my sub and it sounds great. Subs have to be the hardest to setup.

thanks for the good info.
                  Blake

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"