X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

OSD bug in 2.1.1 ??

I already posted this in another topic, but since that one has died a bit, I'll just start a new topic.
    Since I recently upgraded from v1.1.6 to v2.1.1 (EEPROM update + firmware) I started noticing something I'd never seen before.
    If I change the mode from let's say PLII to 2CH stereo, the display reads PCM: 2CH, which is perfectly normal.
    Then, while the display still reads MODE: PCM 2CH I change the volume up or down, and I get this MODE: PC34 H where 34 is the volume.
    Also happens with all other sound modes, whenever the display is displaying something, and you change the volume, the volume gets overlayed on the other characters in the display.

Anyone else experiencing this, or is it just a fluke from a bad write or something like that ?
    Checksums were identical at the end of the firmware upgrade, and the EPROM upgrade went without a hitch either.

Oh btw, just installed the digital board shield, works like a charm.
    No more center channel whining
    Great customer support from Rotel on this one, they sent me an instruction email complete with several photo's of the installment.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I noticed that if you are scolling through inputs for the screen, once you pass multi-channel it will leave up whatever is left of channel. IE, 'DVD___nnel'.. May just be with custom named inputs..

Haven't seen the other, but will check.. Probably about the same time I redo the firmware to see if I can fix my single center rear on EX tracks..

Kevin D.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I have not experienced any of the mentioned problems after I upgraded to the 2.1.1 software.

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• whmacs
        • Oct 2003

Hi Kevin,
        I've also seen this as well:
        noticed that if you are scolling through inputs for the screen, once you pass multi-channel it will leave up whatever is left of channel. IE, 'DVD___nnel'.. May just be with custom named inputs..
        cheers,
        Stephen

My Home Theatre
        My Home Theatre

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Dr Boom,

I've tried hard and I can't reproduce this on my RSP-1098 with 2.1.1.... As soon as I press the Volume key the "Volume: nn" text overwrites the sound mode - even long ones like "Dolby Digital II x Cin" But so far I also don't get the 5 channel / 7 channel problemsa number of Club Rotel users are having either - so I hope my luck lasts...

PS - Love the centre channel fix too - silence is golden....

Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Stephen,

I (you guessed it) don't get your problem either.

This is interesting - I wonder if this is related to the other 5.1 / 7.1 issue that you, Olaf, Kevin D, sithlord10 etc are having. Wouldn't it be interesting if there was a one to one correlation between the two faults....

Indeed if I was a betting man.... (and as a fellow software person)

Geoff

Comment

• Zzap
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
              I noticed that if you are scolling through inputs for the screen, once you pass multi-channel it will leave up whatever is left of channel. IE, 'DVD___nnel'.. May just be with custom named inputs..
              I can reproduce this on my system when changing from "Multi Input" to "Video 5" (which I've renamed "TV").

My steps-to-reproduce - not using remote:
              * press "Path" button
              * turn "Function" wheel to the right until you get "LISTEN: Multi Input"
              * turn left once to get (the renamed video 5) "LISTEN: TV______put"
              (underscores represent spaces)

If you rename a source you can see that the number of characters available for a custom name is 8 whereas "Multi Input" is 11 characters leaving 3 characters (ie. "put") on the display when changing from "MI" to a custom name.

I cannot reproduce the volume issue but will try again
              /John

Comment

• whmacs
                • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
                I can reproduce the multi channel OSD display issue the same way as Zzap describes, although I have not seen the volume display issue.

cheers,
                Stephen

My Home Theatre
                My Home Theatre

Comment

• Zzap
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DrBoom
                  If I change the mode from let's say PLII to 2CH stereo, the display reads PCM: 2CH, which is perfectly normal.
                  Then, while the display still reads MODE: PCM 2CH I change the volume up or down, and I get this MODE: PC34 H where 34 is the volume.
                  I can also reproduce this on my system.

My steps-to-reproduce:
                  * play a DVD with Dolby Digital signal
                  * using "2CH" button on remote switch between "MODE: Dolby Digital" and "MODE: Dolby D DOWNMIX"
                  * immediately after changing MODE (ie. while MODE text is still on screen) change the volume
                  * this will keep the old MODE text on screen and update with volume number only, eg. "MODE: Do48__Digital" (underscores represent spaces)

Both OSD issues are cosmetic only and the screen is cleared as normal after a few seconds
                  /John

Comment

• DrBoom
                    • Dec 2003

Well, at least I'm not the only one
                    But as you said, it goes away and it only happens when you change volume directly after changing modes, not that big a deal actually.
                    Nevertheless, it's one of those things that "shouldn't be there".

Comment

• DrBoom
                      • Dec 2003

Just noticed they've upgraded the software once again, to v2.1.2 now, correcting a small PLIIx bug.
                      No mention of the OSD bugs though.
                      Anyone reported these to Rotel yet ?
                      I'm going to try reflashing it to 2.1.2, and if it still does it after the update I'm going to break the news to them.

Comment

• Olaf
                        • Nov 2003

Dear DrBoom,

Please read my posting in the other thread related to the new V2.1.2 software. I regret to inform you that while the 7.1 speaker bug has been solved (at least on my system), the OSD bug is still there and reproduced by me in the same manner as discovered by you. If the sound mode is displayed and you change the volume the previous text is not cleared cauding the result to be garbled text.

There is furthermore still a minor bug with regards to selecting DD+XS for a normal DD5.1 disc after having played a DD+EX disc.

I will report both problems to Rotel on Monday

However as both bugs are relatively minor and my 7.1 speaker bug is solved I am very happy.

Regards,
                        Olaf

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"