X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jleecov
    • Jul 2006

RMB-1066 and Computer

I just bought a RMB-1066. Is there any way that I can connect my powerbook to the RMB-1066 directly to play music from my iTunes? The RMB-1066 is going to be powering my B&W 601.

If I can't do it directly, what would be the best thing for me to buy without spending a lot of money to allow me to do this? A Cheap receiver?
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

Should be able to connect the headphone out from the powerbook to the amp. just get a "y" connector and connect the l/r to the amp and the other end to the powerbook. I've connected my dell laptop to an amp like this before.

Or you can use a receiver if you like and do the same. only this time connect the l/r to an input on the receiver - video 2 or video 3?
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• jleecov
      • Jul 2006

Will it sound much better through a receiver?

How much of a difference is there?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The problem will be the headphone output is headphone level, not line-level. Over a certain point the headphone power will be too much signal for an amp. I will work, but you will see high distortion levels and lower sound quality.

Since the 1066 has volume controls built into the front panel, you don't really need a receiver. However you really do need to find a way to get line-level out of the powerbook. Not my forte, but I would imagine some form of USB audio device should be available.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
          • Jan 2006

yes, a line level output would sound better than the headphone out. I actually use one of these also. The headphone output is just a quick option. Creative Sound Blaster actually has a line level external sound card that hooks up via USB. You can then hook up line level interconnects from the sound card to the amp or receiver.

I got mine at CompUSA a couple years back and have recently seen them at Best Buy for around $40.
          Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Pwoida
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D

Since the 1066 has volume controls built into the front panel, you don't really need a receiver.

Kevin D.
            Can you explain what you mean Kevin D, are you thinking of the RSP-1066?The RMB-1066 surely has no volume controls?

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

The RMB-1066 has three volume controls imbedded in the heat sinks in front. You need a screw driver to adjust them, but they are there.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"