X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abe1877
    • Mar 2006

Computer to receiver

I recently purchased a new rotel receiver and i am using my old yamaha in my office. i want to hook my computer up to it so i can listen to music through it in my office. i bought one of those adapter that takes rca's to a mini stereo jack. There is a SIGNIFICANT amount of noise/humming. The even weirder thing is that I currently have a splitter coming out of the computer so i can still use the speakers that came with the computer and the noise/humming is even transfered to them when i have the receiver attached. It has the noise even if i attach the receiver directly without the splitter or original computer speakers. Do I need a better shielded cable? Any suggestions otherwise?
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Quick thoughts: 1. Check your audio settings on your audio card as well as your Window settings. 2. Update your Sound card software. 3. Ensure you have the splitter on the correct audio output and it has been configured properly for playback.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Vinny
      • Mar 2006

If you want the best quality out of your reciever, the better link would be using digital output from the sound card to allow the sound card manipulate the signal as much as possible. There are some low cost cards out there which use Envy 24HTS chip that are around 30ish would do the job :T
      Pioneer KRP-500M
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Parasound 5125
      Oppo BDP-83
      Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
      SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Check all of your connections. I've had some issues before with the cheap mini to RCA adaptors. Sometimes they seem a little thin and don't hold as tight as I'd like to see - this causes the ground to sometimes lift.

You could also try a card with RCA connections - I have an external USB card now (~$35), it happens to have a toslink connection, but I could also use RCAs if needed.
        Danish

Comment

• Saggas
          • Mar 2006

noise is usually generated (from my experience) from the line 1/2 turned on when not required, or the mic volume being up too loud.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

I'll bet it's a grounding issue between the PC (most likely the problem) and the receiver. I had the same problem. My option that I ended up with was going optically from the PC to the receiver. That completely resolved the problems.

The wired connections is causing a ground loop type of issue.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by PewterTA
              I'll bet it's a grounding issue between the PC (most likely the problem) and the receiver. I had the same problem. My option that I ended up with was going optically from the PC to the receiver. That completely resolved the problems.

The wired connections is causing a ground loop type of issue.
              That's my guess, ground problem. I agree with using an optical digital connection to the receiver or investing in a quality internal or external soundcard with analog outs and eliminate the splitter.
              Jason

Comment

• RH Customs
                • May 2006

Here this is what I do, and there is no noise at all. I use a Creative USB external sound card, I have my laptop hooked up to my reviever via Coax. Check out this link,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102174, this should work perfect for what you want to do.
                "Yes, but these go up to aleven" Spinal Tap

RH
                :-y

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"