X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

rb-1080 already fried

less than 6 months of use at very modest listening levels... ive done a lot more to amps and never had a problem.....doesnt exactly inspire confidence :M
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

Please tell me what "fried" means...I have been thinking of buying one.

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

left channel went out
      just bad luck i guess

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

I thought that problem didn't exist anymore, that the 1080 design had been upgraded since...

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

yikes... after a search i guess i am not the only one

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by peterS
            yikes... after a search i guess i am not the only one
            Look at the bright side, since it's a well known issue, it should be easy to repair and it shouldn't happen again afterwards.

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

well it isnt the fuses or output transisters.... car, satelite and stereo went out on the same day!..... my pc is the only thing keeping me sain :storm:

Comment

• JDH
                • Sep 2004

Agree, get the upgrade done by Rotel and you shouldn't have the problem again. I had a left channel blow in my RB-1080 3 to 4 times over about six months period from new. After the fix now about 14 months ago I haven't had the problem again, I also always use the 12V trigger too.
                Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

i use to use the trigger but havent since i moved (two weeks ago)

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

I wonder if something has come adrift inside the amp during the move ?

The issues with the 1080 were enough to make me go for the earlier but almost exactly the same (inside) RB990bx amp. (at a quater of the price)

I wonder if there were any issues with the RB991 amp ? The one immediately before the 1080.

none of the two above mentioned earlier amps use a 12 volt trigger so as many have previously said this may be the cause or a least a contributor to the problems with the 1080 amps.

However if you were not using the trigger when the prob arose, maybe it was something else?

Please let us know what the problem was if you find out.

Comment

• peterS
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

it was in my back seat so i doubt it...

rotel's customer suport got back to me asap.... now if the company i bout it from can get me a reciept that i never got in the first place (computers were down) :roll:

Comment

• soundhound
                        • Mar 2004

peterS, did you gou through Stereoland or Hi Fi Sound Electronics?

Comment

• cfrahme52
                          • Aug 2005

I've mentioned this before in various threads regarding the 1080-
                          mine had the upgrades and still popped the left channel fuses shortly after getting it back from Rotel.
                          I'm running dual fans on the amp and they are doing a great job of keeping it cool. It's been operating fine for 8 months now and sounds wonderful!
                          I've never used the 12v trigger-which seems to be one of the issues the amp "had."
                          Charlie

Comment

• peterS
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
                            peterS, did you gou through Stereoland or Hi Fi Sound Electronics?
                            stereoland

Comment

• joetama
                              • May 2006

Ok, someone explain this one to me. It's a well known problem with the 12v trigger so why risk messing up the amp and having to send it back to Rotel to get fixed? Why not just get an power switcher or get up and push the power button?
                              -Joe

Comment

• peterS
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

why build a 1K amp that cant handle a simple relay?

Comment

• soundhound
                                  • Mar 2004

It has to due with the L,C, and R presented by certain speaks-cables while use of the 12v trigger. It is not simply a 12v trigger issue. There were a couple of pretty accurate descriptions posted previously what the cause was, and when Rotel became aware of it how they addressed it.

Comment

• peterS
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
                                    It has to due with the L,C, and R presented by certain speaks-cables while use of the 12v trigger. It is not simply a 12v trigger issue. There were a couple of pretty accurate descriptions posted previously what the cause was, and when Rotel became aware of it how they addressed it.
                                    well i turned it on with delayed turn on manualy from belkin 'clean power'

i guess i dont understand what is going on... other than it shouldnt happen for 1k

Comment

• peterS
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

would be nice if they emailed me my RA# finaly :roll:

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"