RSX-1067: Distortion problems without subwoofer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talisman39
    • Jul 2006

RSX-1067: Distortion problems without subwoofer?

Hi all-

I'm considering an RSX-1067 to go with an NHT speaker set-up (Classic Fours in the front, a 3C center, and two in-wall units for the rears). The Fours have plenty of bass and don't need a sub, and the 3C goes down low enough that it could probably classify as a Large. So that gives me all Larges in the front, and Smalls in the back, and no subwoofer. (FYI, this will be in a 20x24x10 living/kitchen room, so I'm thinking a 1057 will not be powerful enough?)

According to this article, this specific setup raises distortion significantly to 0.4%:

I'm not really one who worries overly about distortion numbers, but this is a concern. Anyone have experience this set-up and how it performs?

Thanks!

Adam
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Can you point out exactly where in the article it's talks about increased distortion with no sub? I looked it over and never saw it.

Now, the 3C is has no where near the response needed to be classified as large. It will need to be set to small and have it's bass ran to the fronts.

The Classic fours have enough response on paper, but I think will still be lacking in the 20-40hz range needed for the theater impact. The problem is that bass can be really crazy to setup. With built in subs on your speakers I can guarantee you where the fronts need to go will not be where the subs need to go.

So while they should be really nice for 2ch stereo playback, I really think you will still need a sub for a good movie theater bass experience. As far as distortion, anytime you take bass frequencies out of an amplifier's duty it will let the amp work more efficient, which allows more output without distortion.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

No way do the Fours replace a sub in a HT setup. Almost certainly, given placement requirements for good imaging, you will get weak to no bass below 40 hz as well as cancellation effects. Agree that no one would run a center full range. Might consider crossing the 4s at 60 hz, but a sub is a necessity for full range and clean bass.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"