X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnStassi
    • Jun 2006

shopuld I siwtch form RB 1070 to RB 1080

When I bought the 1070, the dealer told me I could trade up to the 1080 if I wanted to , within 3 weeks. I really like what the 1070 has done for my system, and I am tempted to upgrade - but I dont want to make a mistake and wind up with something about the 1080 that I won't like as much as the 1070.
    Can anyone tell me what sonic differences I might be open to if I change amps? I am driving realtievely inefficeint speakers 86db Vandersteen 2ce sigs.
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

If they're not that efficient, I'll bet you'll appreciate the control the 1080 offers.

Comment

• Boombox
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by grit
      ...If they're not that efficient....
      Remember to consider the impedance as well. If they are 4 ohms, then the 1070 kicks out well over 200wpc. the 1070 is quite a powerful amplifier and will easily run with the 1080.....under practically all conditions....+.........the 1070 is damn reliable...
      Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

Being you are even considering it, you have the bulk of it paid for allready, grab the 1080 and you won't look back. The 1080 does what the 1070 does, with much more ease, grace, and authority. I have gone through the 1070, to 1080, to 1090, and have thought of grabbing another 1080 as it was my favorite of the 3. I have quite efficiant speakers (104 db) but it is one of those pieces in this obsession of ours that never left me wondering if I made a foolish descision in purchasing. If you like the "Rotel sound" it (along with the 1075) is one of their most under priced pieces. Good luck and be sure to post the out come.

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Boombox
          ....+.........the 1070 is damn reliable...
          This is worth considering.

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gianni
            This is worth considering.

I lost a left channel a few months ago on my <1 yr old RB-1070. Took Rotel 3 weeks to fix - just fuses according to them.

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by miner
              I lost a left channel a few months ago on my <1 yr old RB-1070. Took Rotel 3 weeks to fix - just fuses according to them.
              One of the few I've heard a 1070 break down. This thing's tougher than a horse... more like a camel. Never quits.... except for a few here and there. The 1080 on the other hand...
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• philly boy
                • Jul 2005

JohnStassi, I also had the RB1070 and then bought the Vandersteen 3A sigs. As much as I liked the RB1070 it couldn't provide the control, especially, in the lower frquencies of those speakers. I then moved to a 200 wpc Classe'. Much better. Haven't used the RB1080, but I would guess it would better handle the drops in impedence that the Vandersteens are known for. See if your dealer would allow you to take home a RB1080 for comparison. Good luck.

Comment

• musman
                  • Jul 2006

The RB-1080 has a much better damping factor than the 1070 so it will most certainly have better bass. You will not lose anything going to the 1080 it is a better amp. Ask if you can bring one home & try it out.
                  Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"