New DD and DTS HD - RSP-1098 still a good choice ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len73
    • Jan 2005

New DD and DTS HD - RSP-1098 still a good choice ?

Hello everyone...

As you probably have noticed, it seems that the new standard HDMI 1.3 has been adopted recently.

I have read manytimes that ROTEL was waiting for this new standard to be adpoted before lauching new products.

As I am currently building a brand new HC/Stereo system based on ROTEL stuff (of course !) I would like to know if an investment in the RSP-1098 is still advisable or not ?

Let's be clear here, my only concern is about sound not video signal (new Dolby HD and DTS HD) !

Thank you so much for your avice !

Len
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Len73,

Yes, in June the HDMI 1.3 standard was finally ratified (after 6+ months of delays), with lots of goodies including faster, higher res, better colour and of course support for the new HD sound formats from Dolby and DTS... Of course it comes with a new hardware connector and cable and the manufacturers of the chip-sets for the HDMI hardware and the DSP software for the DSP processors are now scrambling to develop and test their designs so they can sell these to receiver and processor manufacturers, who in turn can develop and test their designs... You get the idea...

Very few if any HDMI 1.3 receivers, processors and TVs are expected before the end of 2007 - only those who have been working with the chip-set suppliers to pre-design will be ready...

Anyway Rotel were (when I last heard) almost ready to give up on HDMI 1.3 for their next generation RSP0198 etc - so great had been the delays with the standard. You can get close with HDMI 1.1 and 1.2 as the HD-DVD players and Blu-Ray players all put signals out on these but not the full deal that the media is capable of. I hope this announcement has happened in time for Rotel to include the 1.3 in their final design for the RSP-1099 - even if it further delays it.

So Rotel were planning their RSP-1098 replacement for September to December this year (they are always late with these things). If we get it early in 2007 I'll be happy (and of course in Australia we get things 6 months later since the USA gets the first few months production of anything new!)

All that aside - if you can wait - I would... If you need to buy now - consider the RSX-1057 or the new RSX-1058/9 (I forget the number) as a "disposable" with its HDMI processing (the 1058/9 has up scaling). They make surprisingly good processors if you add separate amps on them. Then buy the RSP-1099 early next year and you will be able to sell the RSX-1057 at only a small loss (much less than if you bought and sold a RSP-1098.

Geoff

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

just curious and sorry if this is of topic.

Currently in todays DVD players with HDMI you have 1 output for sound (coax etc.) and 1 output for video(HDMI) from the DVD player. With HDMI 1.3 will you still have the choice to have 1 ouput go to your display and 1 go to your reciever? Would that mean that each dvd player will actually have 2 HDMI outputs? OR will you have to run both video and audio through your reciever with 1 and thats your only choice?

Also does have HDMI 1.3 mean that all current disaplays with HDCP compatible HDMI inputs will need to be replaced because HDMI 1.3 will some how not work with them?

thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

There will probably always be only one HDMI output. If you have to go straight to a TV, you will have to use the digital or analog outputs. The HDMI's will support the new DD and DTS tracks and possibly high resolution multi-channel PCM outputs as well. The HDMI will most likely have the new DD and DTS tracks converted to older DD or DTS tracks as well.

In addition, expect regular digital outputs that will support converted older DD & DTS tracks and 5.1 to 7.1 analog multi-channel outputs like current DVDA and SACD players.

HDMI 1.3 should be backward compatible, so if the connected devices do not support 1080p, DD-HD, or DTS-HD it should revert to older standards.

Kevin D.

Comment

• boe
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
          just curious and sorry if this is of topic.

Currently in todays DVD players with HDMI you have 1 output for sound (coax etc.) and 1 output for video(HDMI) from the DVD player. With HDMI 1.3 will you still have the choice to have 1 ouput go to your display and 1 go to your reciever? Would that mean that each dvd player will actually have 2 HDMI outputs? OR will you have to run both video and audio through your reciever with 1 and thats your only choice?

thanks
          I posted a similar question a little while ago on another forum. It seems to me that it would be better if DVD players had 2 hdmi outputs to alleviate issues such a lipsync, degraded signal, costly preamp/processors that have video switching components. My current preamp has no video switching capabilities and I can honestly say, that is one of the few features my preamp doesn't have that I've ever wanted. I have a stack of features I'd like in my next preamp but video switching is NOT one of them. I understand that some people do want them but it seems to me there is the 1068 crowd and the 1098 crowd. I'm not against it being an option but I don't think it should be forced on us for the above stated reasons.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"