X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David B.
    • Jun 2006

Dissonance in my RMB 1095?

Hi

Just bought a RMB 1095 power amplifier. This is my first Rotel product, and my first Hi-Fi setup, so i'm not familiar to how these products should sound.
    I've had my RMB 1095 for three days now, and yesterday, i found out there was a dissonance in it. I can hear buzzing when i do not play any signals throug it (in standby mode?). Its not to loud thoug, but it's annoying when i watching TV in the late evening at low volume. In any case, i have disconnected all conncetions between the 1095 and my pre amplifier, but the problem is still there.

So my question is: Is there something wrong with my amplifier, or is it normal/should this sound be there?

regards
    David B.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

It should be quiet. Is it a 60 cycle humm? Some amps (by design) will be more prone to line voltage than others. Is it on a dedicated circuit? What is you're speaker impedance? Leaky power supply caps can allow noise (highly unlikely), but, many other things can cause it also that you can confirm or deny on you're own. Divide and conquer.

Comment

• Jaynaldo
      • May 2006

Just like you, my new Rotel products have issues as well. During 2 channel play and standby mode, there is a slight humming noise coming out of my center channel. After spending alot money , you figure issues like decoding or the inability of the dvd player to read certain cd's are very annoying would be gone. I expected better quality from Rotel. I never had issues with my previous set up which was Denon.

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

Unlike you, David doesn't appear to be complaining.
        In defense of Rotel (wich I have moved up and away from) I have read posts where 6-7K processors have issues. I guess the finer things in life tend to be a tad finicky.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
          • Apr 2006

Hi david,

I just ordered the RLC-1040 conditioner from Rotel. My RSX1057 and the RMB1075 both have the same issue. It is not very loud though. I think the issue with mine is i have lot of interference from the wires in the back and also with the power supply. My house was pre-wired for my HT equipment when i built it. I think there is lot of interference coming from the wires that was run through the house. I hope the RLC-1040 will help out with some of the interference and reduce the hiss to very low levels.

I got use to my issue with the hiss, and it does not bother me from my listening area. So all is well.

Comment

• David B.
            • Jun 2006

Hi, and thanks for response!

This is not on a dedicated circuit. It is on a 230V power grid if that have something to say. The amplifier is connected to a pair of B&W 703, 8 Ohm. But i have the problem also when all cables are disconnected.

What I think is odd is that when I first connected the amp, I can't remember there was any dissonance. It was all quiet.

And I'm not complaining, i'm happy with my Rotel even though some humming. A big upgrade from my previous H/K DPR 2005. :T

I only want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the amp, so I'm not damaging it by using it. I can use it without risk?

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Is the hum coming from the amp or the speakers? If it's coming from the transformer in the amp, I've seen it happen before. In most situations it turned out to be power issues.

A dedicated circuit and or power conditioner may help. Also have you added anything else electrically to the house since you added the 1095? One person found it was a de-humidifier he bought that wound up putting the buzz in the 1095.

Kevin D.

Comment

• David B.
                • Jun 2006

There is coming no hum from the speakers, only from the amplifier. Nothing is added after the 1095, no. Power issues? Inside the amp, or in porwer grid? If inside the amp, will i have to return it?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Usually on the grid or in the house.

Kevin D.

Comment

• David B.
                    • Jun 2006

Something I have noticed, is when I turn the amp off, two of five "protection mode" lights is lighted. The FL and SL. What does this mean?

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

I'm pretty sure they all should light up when you turn the unit off. I know they all light up for a second when turning the unit on.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by David B.
                        Something I have noticed, is when I turn the amp off, two of five "protection mode" lights is lighted. The FL and SL. What does this mean?
                        When you turn the amp OFF all the protection lights should come on and then FADE slowly and go out.

Now does your FL and SL stay on? Or does it come on and than FADE?

Comment

• soundhound
                          • Mar 2004

Also, are those the only 2 channels you have loads (speakers) on?

Comment

• David B.
                            • Jun 2006

Hi,

When i turn the amp on, the lights comes on, and then they suddenly turns off with a "click". When i turn it of, most of the time no lights are coming. Some times, the FL and SL are coming, but they do not fade away. The duddenly goes away with a "click".

I only have loads on FL and FR.

Just now, i tried to take the power on and of quickly, 2 sec between each time. The fourth time the fuse in the fuse box blown. Normal?

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

No, not normal. The 1095 takes a lot of power at turn on, sounds like the wiring and fuse for that outlet is not high enough. I would suggest a dedicated home run to the electrical panel.

Kevin D.

Comment

• soundhound
                                • Mar 2004

On inital power up, the l.e.d's should come on, and then you should hear the relay click,see the l.e.d's go off, and then tunes. This is the protection circuitry working, with the bonus being prevents the "thud" of d.c. when you first power up. Also quickly powering up, and down, multiple times could blow a fuse or trip a breaker. This would be normal. The amp has a huge transformer in it which has a large inrush of current on power up (its a property of inductors). As far as the 2 l.e.d's cycling on power down, I would suspect this also is normal due to those being the only 2 channels that are loaded.

Comment

• David B.
                                  • Jun 2006

Again, thanks a lot for response!

Originally posted by soundhound
                                  As far as the 2 l.e.d's cycling on power down, I would suspect this also is normal due to those being the only 2 channels that are loaded.
                                  No, the only channels that being loaded is Front Left and Front Right. When i shut the unit down, the Front Left and Surround Left is lighting.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"