X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

v2.1.1 EPROM Upgrade Will Not Initialise

Hi Guys,
    I thought I'd start a new thread as I've got a different upgrade problem to the one's that have currently be posted so far.

Background:
    I've had my RSP-1098 for three weeks. I have already upgraded it from v1.1.1 to v1.1.6. This went smoothly.

Equipment:
    I'm using an IBM Thinkpad laptop running windows XPPro with a dedicated coms port (com1). This was the same laptop I used to upgrade from v1.1.1 to v1.1.6. Virus scanning was disabled.

Symptoms:
    I load up the EPROM program, open the first BIN file and enter the correct parameters ie 30000, 37FFF, a0
    I click the 'next' button and get Communications Port Initial OK, I then click the 'next' and get "Communication Ok".
    Now the problem occurs. When I click 'next' again (step 11). I get the message 'Trying to initialise the device...Initialisation failure' and the program exits to the main scrren.
    I tried this a couple of times all with the same result. I am 100% confident I've entered 'a0' correctly as the device ID.

One clarifying question; step 3. says 'Power on the RSP-1098' all I did was flick the switch at the back of the RSP-1098. This powered the RSP-1098 up in 'Standby mode' Should I have gone around to the front of the unit and pressed the 'power' button to fully power up the RSP-1098? This may explain why the device could not be initialised?

My RSP-1098 is still working fine, obviously I'm a little 'gun shy' considering all the problems people have had with the upgrade. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephen

My Home Theatre
    My Home Theatre
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yes I had mine powered up I believe. also you did change the start and end points for the second file right?

Comment

• whmacs
      • Oct 2003

Hi Andrew,
      Thanks for the reply,
      When you say 'power up' do you mean, turn on the back switch, then press the standby switch on the front so the menu comes up on the TFT display? I ask this as the v1.1.1 -> v1.1.6 upgrade only required me to turn on the rear power switch and leave the unit in standby mode.

I haven't even got the first eprom bin file loaded yet. Currently the eprom program exits back to the front screen as soon as it gets the first initialisation failure. It doesn't even attempt to write the first eprom file.

thanks,
      Stephen

My Home Theatre
      My Home Theatre

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Yes, I also had my 1098 fully powered when I performed the EPROM upgrade. Each of the three EPROM upgrade files had a different start and stop point, but the address (a0) remained the same. I actually had to initialize communication on the COM ports more than once to get the next file to upgrade (I believe three times/file), and then the 2.1.1 software upgrade, (I believe this is where the true issues occur).

Based on recent events. if I wasn't computer savy, I probably wouldn't perform the upgrade without assistance, but it is definitely worth the effort .

Just my thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

whmacs,

I have had major serial port issues with IBM Think Pads running XP before. So I would recommend trying a different brand / model if you could - just to eliminate something that has been a problem for me.

I (and some others) found that we needed long pauses between the steps for the EPROM update – IE pressing NEXT too soon on the EPROM application creates errors.

When you say "flick off" I would recommend turning off from the back for a little while (15+ seconds) and then turning on....

Also (and just because I didn't see it in your post ) You did leave the two software update switches OFF for the EPROM update? Setting them to ON ready’s the unit for a firmware update – probably stopping the EPROM update.

Good luck - I know pressing NEXT on that EPROM updater will be a scarey experience given the error you got before !

Geoff

Comment

• skipm
            • Jun 2003

Speaking of ThinkPads and serial ports .... I just finished upgrading my 1098 a few hours ago and I had to end up using my Dell work laptop instead of the ThinkPad laptops I have for personal use. One ThinkPad runs W2K and the other runs XP Pro. Both have an internal modem set to COM 1 so the serial port is set to COM 2. I couldn't get the FlashUp program to see the serial port on either ThinkPad so I brought home my Dell laptop whose serial port was set to COM 1 and had no further problems.

-Skip

Comment

• whmacs
              • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
              Thanks for all the advice. I got up a 5am this morning (the only quite time while the three kids and my wife where still in bed) and gave it another shot using my trusty Thinkpad laptop running XPPro. This machine has a dedicated coms port and built in modem, so you have to ensure that the two don't conflict. In my case I have the dedicated port on com1 and the modem on com3.

Completely powering up the RSP-1098 solved my initialisation issues and the upgrade went relatively smoothly. My only other issue was that after each EPROM upgrade the coms port could not communicate with the RSP-1098. This was solved by pressing the restart button on the EPROM program once after each EPROM upload. I also waited a few minutes between EPROM uploads before starting the next one.

The Hyperterminal upload component went smoothly without incident.

Powered up the RSP-1098 and it now reported V2.1.1 (holding down the mute button) and the default surround formats had gone from PLII movie to PLIIx movie. I then put on some 7 channel stereo music to ensure that everything was ok (it was). I then put on 'End Of Days' as there is a great helicopter scene in it (Chapter 7). Switched over to DD 5.1 + PLIIx I got some great sound panning as the helicopter flew around the room (I have a 7.1 system).

Overall I'm very impressed with the end result of this upgrade.

Ok, here is a few more tips for those attempting the upgrade:
              1. Use a computer with with a dedicated coms port (not a usb port and converter). This has been said many times before.
              2. Turn off virus scanning. Virus scanning can mess with other software's mind!
              3. Wait between EPROM uploads as there seems to be a pause from the end of one upload until the RSP-1098 is ready to accept the next one. If you can't communicate with the coms port between EPROM uploads (after waiting a couple of minutes) press the restart botton on the EPROM program loader.
              4. Don't sit there and watch the upload. The 1 hour 10 minutes of supense will take 5 years off your life! Start a section then go away and do something else. Come back and check every 10 minutes or so.

Designing software for a living, I have to add my 2cents about the EPROM loader. While having a generic loader program is ok, its generally a golden rule when designing software with a user interface that you never let a user type in anything that they can selected from a list or you can default. A better design would of been to still have the generic EPROM loader, but have it accept a EPROM 'package'. This package would be one file that contains all three EPROM bin's and a configuration section that holds the load addresses and device id for each bin file. Considering what could happen if you typed in the incorrect load address, its just too risky. A 'package approach would remove this risk. The hyperterm is ok as you only select '1' then the text file you want to upload. Saying this, writing a dedicated loader program (like the ERPROM loader) would also be very easy and would save you making a mistake with the com port settings. This program would then only need to prompt you for the com port to select, A button to erase memory, then the file to upload. Similar in flow to the EPROM loader.

One thing I did notice is that now a number of disks default to Dolby Digital 5.1 EX even though they only say DD5.1 on the back (Shrek, End of Days). Have other people noticed this?

cheers,
              Stephen

My Home Theatre
              My Home Theatre

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Stephen,

Congratulations

The Dolby Digital EX showing is most likely because the RSP-1098 now remembers the last setting for different source types (e.g. DD 5.1). I have mine set to DD + DPL IIX Cinema and that blows away EX (on EX disks) with it's rear channel processing and detail on the center backs.

Second possibility is that many region 4 (the Aussie region) disks were not labelled as EX until recently (marketing high ups thought it would confuse the consumer!) and your RSP-1098 is recognising them now for the first time (I’ve had a bit of that – where before almost nothing on region 4 was recognised by the RSP-1098 as EX)

Enjoy the sound – it’s magnificent in 7 channel – especially on the DPL IIx in Aussi Digital TV movies etc.

Geoff

Comment

• Sithlord10
                  • Apr 2003

After reading about everyones elses success I tried flashing the Eproms for the 7th time putting 2.1.1 on (7 Times) and still I get the optical problem. I've tried all approaches, waiting between roms turning off the unit between roms waiting 10min b/w roms and still I get the problem. I tell you being without my HT for a week now really makes me appreciate it alot more especially when your having a long weekend. I think it's the first time that I acually want the weekend to end and go back to work at least I will have something to do. Tuesday can't come quick enough so I can have my system back to it's fomer glory :tv:

Comment

• DSGCobra
                    • Feb 2003

I am in the middle of running the third Eprom now. I found I had to powercycle the 1098 after each eprom load. Hopefully I don't have the same problems as sithlord10 due to the Sapprano's starting in about an hour and a half....

RSP-1098
                    RMB-1095
                    RDV-1080
                    Energy C-9
                    Energy Vertias V2.0C
                    Energy C-3
                    Paradigm PS-1200
                    Audioquest everything.

Comment

• whmacs
                      • Oct 2003

Hi Dsgcobra,
                      What issues are you seeing that is causing you to power cycle the RSP-1098 between each EPROM upload?

Good luck,
                      Stephen

My Home Theatre
                      My Home Theatre

Comment

• DSGCobra
                        • Feb 2003

I was getting the same trying to initialise the device message as you were. Everything went fine, my 1098 is up and running v2.1.1 with no problems that I have noticed.

RSP-1098
                        RMB-1095
                        RDV-1080
                        Energy C-9
                        Energy Vertias V2.0C
                        Energy C-3
                        Paradigm PS-1200
                        Audioquest everything.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"