X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Olaf
    • Nov 2003

V2.1.1 upgrade status?

Dear All,

It is not my intention to create a panic about the possibility of the V2.1.1 upgrade failing, but after going through all the related threads I noticed the following problems:

Kevin D
    ---------
    a. No sound from 2nd CB channel
    b. PLIIx defaulting problem

Sithlord10
    ------------
    a. Optical connection problem
    b. Feedback from Rotel tech support about incorrect addressed for EPROM

Zzap
    -----
    a. Problem loading V2.1.1. due to write fail

Based on the above failures I am not sure whether I want to take the risk. Some of the problems may be related to the OS used for the upgrade (as mnetioned in many threads), but then again some had used the same computer for the upgrade to V1.1.6. without problems. Has Rotel reverted at all on the reported problems?

Rgds, Olaf
  • Sithlord10
    • Apr 2003

Hey olaf. The tech guy got back to me and said that the Eprom addresses were correct just that Rotel had re-named the rom files to make it easier for all to understand. He also said that my install should have worked but didn't and couldn''t offer a reason why my failed. I used WinXP (pro) and he said I could use Win98 as it's faster to install the software. With XP it takes 1HR and 10Min compared to 10mins with Win98 very strange. But I know that WinXP uses a different version of Hyperternal than 98. Oh well the unit is going in for repair and they can put the new software on it I'm tired of trying. :banghead:

Comment

• Zzap
      • Sep 2003

Hi Olaf,

My problems were not related to v2.1.1 (in fact my 1098 has now accepted the v2.1.1 download and is running again).

I'm still not sure whether it's because of a bad file transfer or because of dodgy hardware but I hope to find out.

Ofcourse when (if) I do I'll post the answer on this forum.
      /John

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Olaf,

It seems that so far only Sithlord10 has not succeeded with the upgrade to 2.1.1. Assuming you have a Windows 98 / 2000 laptop or PC as a backup if you have to use XP – you should be able to definitely get your upgrade up.

Make sure you have you have got the old 1.1.6 Hyperterminal instructions (on the Europe Rotel site) as well as the new EEPROM etc instructions. Read them several times – ask any questions on this forum – and then give it a go!

The remaining issues are minor compared to the benefits. For example only one person seems to experience the EX issue – And for many of us we couldn’t even turn EX on for non flagged DD DVDs before. Equally the 96/24 DTS changing the default for DPL IIx is addressed in 2 seconds by reselecting IIx.

There are many minor bugs and niggles fixed in 2.1.1 – for example we can now select all of the sound processing modes for any format, we have full control over the triggers, we have better progressive scan control etc.

You may want to wait a week or two and watch how others go – but I’d definitely try the upgrade as some point – it’s a real step forward in my opinion.

Of course your decision has to be a personal one

Geoff

Comment

• Olaf
          • Nov 2003

Dear Geoff,

Patience is not my strongest character trade so after having read all the threads I came to the conclusion that the Hyper terminal program and OS used look like the source of most problems.

I have more than 500 original VCR tapes so you can imagine that PLIIx holds many promises for me.

This morning I moved my PC (Windows 98) closer to my home theater so I would not have to disconnect the RSP-1098 every time.

First I performed the EPROM update which went reasonably smooth. I did however have to exit the flash program after every upload as I was connecting connection errors if I tried to upload the next file. It was very slow though and I must admit I was quite nervous. (Luckily I did not hold my breath as some others did or I wuld not have been able to write this post :LOL: )

The V2.1.1 installation went very smooth and exactly as expected.

The result is .

I did re-calibrate my speaker setup and had to make some minor adjustments. I am not sure whether that is related to the upgrade or just some further fine tuning that was required anyway.

I am listening to Alien Resurrection at the moment and must say the sound is absolutely awesome! 8) (it is almost like listening to a DVD)

Totally happy I did this.

Rgds, Olaf

PS. I used to own a Denon for two years which was supposed to be upgradable but I never received any upgrades. I own the Rotel setup for 6 months now and already have installed two upgrades (V1.1.6 and now V2.1.1). I must applaude Rotel for delivering what they promise.

At the same time I would like to thank everybody on this forum with their valuable experiences and feedback. This forum even further enhances the experience of owning Rotel equipment :!:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Olaf,

Congratulations. It's a great upgrade isn't it even if the instructions from Rotel are a little "less than perfect".

I too held my breath when I did it - I'm sure it must be part of the secret to success (other than luck, the hyperterminal program, having Bill Gates on your side and triple checking every step)

Enjoy - it will bring new life to all sorts of things (I find even my DD movies now have precise 7 channel rear placement that is just amazing.) I have had a new smile on my face every time I put on anything with surround sound. Even my wife can hear the difference from an adjoining room.

Geoff

Comment

• Zzap
              • Sep 2003

Wrt. the EPROM update I had the same problem with uploading the next file (had to retry once with #2 and once with #3).

What I remember is that approx 1 minute after uploading an EPROM file the 1098 emitted a low click.

This click came after trying to upload the next file which resulted in a "Unit not responding" type of message.

I cannot be sure but I think that this click might signal that the unit has digested the upload and is ready for the next.

In any case if you plan to upgrade your 1098 EPROM you might want to give it up to a minute between each file upload (I know that I sure wasn't glad for a "Unit not responding" message during an EPROM upload ).

In addition if your upload fails then seriously consider installing the latest version of HyperTerminal:
              HyperTerminal for Windows, including 7, 8, 10, and 11 is our award winning Windows terminal emulation software. Supports telnet and SSH in addition to modems and serial port connections.
              /John

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"