How good is the Rotel RCD-1072?? Forexaple compared to Marantz DV9600 In Sound??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

How good is the Rotel RCD-1072?? Forexaple compared to Marantz DV9600 In Sound??

Hi Everyone, :roll:
    Really how good is the Rotel RCD-1072 compared to other CD Players that you have come across ,and how does this Rotel 1072 compare directly with the Marantz DV 9600 in direct comparison as I am told the CD performance of even a DVD player such as the above Marantz is better than the 1072 in DACS, Bits and sound is that true???? ops:
  • Danielf
    • Sep 2005

I just borrowed the 1072 from my dealer two days ago to do some A/B comparison with my 4 year old $150 JVC DVD player...

The rest of the system consists of B&W 803s, Rotel 1098 and Rotel 1075. Both players were hooked up with analouge and I was running it in two channel stereo.

My wife and I listened to it for two hours, playing jazz, rock and classical music. We took turns to do blind tests and my wife as well as I guessed right only 50% of the time.

The player looks great, and I was really looking forward to complete my system with a great CD player. However, with the poor result I will probably use my money to get a fancy remote control instead .

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

How did you have it connected? The benefit of the Rotel 1072 (or any good CD player) partly (or mosly) is in the DACs. If you didn't try it, I'd recommend a/b testing it in analog mode. If you still don't notice a difference, count yourself lucky that your current player meets your needs.

Comment

• audiojunky
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by grit
        How did you have it connected? The benefit of the Rotel 1072 (or any good CD player) partly (or mosly) is in the DACs. If you didn't try it, I'd recommend a/b testing it in analog mode.
        Grit, what do you mean testing it in the analog mode? You mean connecting it through the RCA cables instead of the digital ones?

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

danielf try it using the bypass mode on your 1098, I bet it sounds different and probably better.(Must use analogue cables not digital)

If the 1098 is like the 1068 which I own, in stereo mode the signal gets converted back to digital inside the processor and back to analogue again.

In bypass mode you are hearing the dacs of the cd player only and not the dacs in the processor.

Pete

Comment

• bleeding ears
            • Nov 2004

audiojunky , you seem a little confused as to what cables are what and what connections are what.
            I wil try to explain a bit.

RCA is a common type of connection used on most equipment and cables, except optical cables. Rca is not a type of cable.

Coax cables are digital and they use an rca connection usually.

Optical cables are digital also but they do not use an rca connection

Analogue cables usually use rca connections and there are two cables needed for analogue (usually one red and one white connection) take a look at the back of your cd/dvd player or receiver etc.

Hope this is of some help, I know when I started out I was totally confused by all the terms etc.

Comment

• audiojunky
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by bleeding ears
              audiojunky , you seem a little confused as to what cables are what and what connections are what.
              I wil try to explain a bit.

RCA is a common type of connection used on most equipment and cables, except optical cables. Rca is not a type of cable.

Coax cables are digital and they use an rca connection usually.

Optical cables are digital also but they do not use an rca connection

Analogue cables usually use rca connections and there are two cables needed for analogue (usually one red and one white connection) take a look at the back of your cd/dvd player or receiver etc.

Hope this is of some help, I know when I started out I was totally confused by all the terms etc.
              Ah! Sorry! I did mean the red & white analog cables but used the wrong term ops:

What I was meaning to ask is that if you use the digital connectors then I guess you're not using the DAC of the Rotel, but if you use the analog connector, you are.

Comment

• eelco74
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by chinets
                Hi Everyone, :roll:
                Really how good is the Rotel RCD-1072 compared to other CD Players that you have come across ,and how does this Rotel 1072 compare directly with the Marantz DV 9600 in direct comparison as I am told the CD performance of even a DVD player such as the above Marantz is better than the 1072 in DACS, Bits and sound is that true???? ops:
                I compared the DVD-2900 against an older Rotel RCD-975. Actually there is an almost 9 year defference between those players.

The Rotel was easily the winner. It had better soundstage, tighter and more audible bass and a more controlled sound.

So a current dedicated player will almost always sound better.
                Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

Marantz DV2900 nothing compared to DV9600..Another world day and night and probably 1800 dollars difference in price between both. No!!!! comparison between RCD-1072 In Dacs and bits Vs. the Marantz DV9600 in direct comparison with there DACS and Bits.
                  Thanks,

Comment

• Z Head
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by chinets
                    Marantz DV2900 nothing compared to DV9600..Another world day and night and probably 1800 dollars difference in price between both. No!!!! comparison between RCD-1072 In Dacs and bits Vs. the Marantz DV9600 in direct comparison with there DACS and Bits.
                    Thanks,
                    by dvd-2900 he was refering to the denon dvd2900, not a marantz dv2900.

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Sorry, since Mr. eelco 74 only mentioned DVD2900 I obviously though he meant the Marantz, as the whole thread was about Rotel 1072 Vs. Marantz DV9600 comparing there DACs and BITS!!
                      Thanks for the correction,
                      Chinets

Comment

• grit
                        • Jan 2005

Just to clarify what Bleeding Ears said -

1) If you use the digital cable from the a source to the pre/pro OR

2) you use the analog cables (RCA) from the source to the pre/pro AND set playback to "stereo" or any of the DSP modes

... what you are hearing is the pre/pro converting the sound from digital to analog. So, two sources would sound similar.

To really hear the 1072 (or other analog source) shine, run the RCA cables from the player to the pre/pro and put it in "bypass" mode, which will bypass the signal processing of the pre/pro.

Try that out and let us know what you think.

Comment

• bzrk
                          • Oct 2005

rotel amps/pres always bypass the processor when you select cd input.... atleast i thought so..?
                          Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

Thanks Grit,
                            I have tried the Rotel 1072 connected to the Pre/Pro 1098 In analog. Then I set it in Bypass and it sounds wonderful but only 2 channel!!!! When I set my Pre/Pro on 5 channel also in analog connection the pre/pro obviously has switched to digital inorder to get 5 channel right!!!
                            Well I find that the sound of Bypass and 5 channel is not day and night with 1072 and 1098 connection!!!! So I guess the DACs 0f the Pre/pro 1098 must be fantastic because the bypass mode of 1072 is excellent in my opinion.
                            That is why I was asking whether the Marantz DV9600 would sound better than the 1072 with its DACs and Bits they both have.???????????can you answer that please!!!

Rotel 1098 pre/ pro has 32 bitDigital signal processor and the Cirrus Logic's CS49400

Rotel RCD-1072 has 18bit and the Burr-Brown 1732 DACs

Marantz DV 9600 has Video D/A conversion 216Mhz/14 Bit and Audio D/A conversion of 192KHz/ 24 BIT for all channels with Audio S/N Ratio of 130dB (1Khz) and Dynamic range of 110dB (1KHz)

I can't make anything out of the data I gave above you whether one is better than the other in terms of DACs and BITs but i have this above information for all of you out there to sort of tell me which is better if you can??. Are these specs helpful????
                            Thanks for your kind help and assistance in advance.
                            Best regards,
                            Chinets

Comment

• bleeding ears
                              • Nov 2004

The dacs in the 1072 only do cd playback so they should do a bit better job with cd compared to the dacs inside the 1098 which have to do home theatre dvd playback as well as cd.

Unfortunately everything is a compromise to some extent.

If you really want the best from analog cd perhaps you should be looking at a 2 channel preamp with a 2 channel amp.? But then you wont have a home theatre and not many of us want to give it up to get the very best from our cds.

One more thing that can help a fair bit with the sound from the cd player is to use good analogue cables. Dont ask me which ones, better off talking to Lex about that.

As for the best player Rotel or Marantz, let your ears be the judge, figures are not everything.

Good luck.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jun 2004

Not everyone can hear the differences in source gear. Some even have trouble hearing diffferences in speakers. Then add in cables and you got a real mess.

Dan

Comment

• grit
                                  • Jan 2005

I've not heard the Marantz, so i can't comment. Sorry.

Comment

• chinets
                                    • Jun 2005

Is there Anyone out there who has heard the Marantz DV9600 ,to have a A/B comparison with the RDV1060 by Rotel or the RCD 1072 in terms of DACs and BITs??

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"