X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z Head
    • May 2006

RSP 976 or RSP 985?

which processor is newer? how is the bass management on both? Which one has the multi channel input? Also is 400$ a fair price for the 976?

Thanks in advance from a new member.
  • deke
    • Dec 2005

If I remember correctly, back in the day, their was about a $1K price difference between the two. In comparison to today's models, the 976 would be the 1068 and the 985 the 1098. I didn't compare the two, but would expect the difference to be in the same order as the difference between the 2 new ones.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I started out on a RSP-985. I 'upgraded' to the 1066 (which replaced the 976). While I got new features, sound quality took a good drop. So I would go for the 985, since it's basically the same features.

There's a thread here about firmware updates on the 985, if you get one check a make sure you have the latest.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Z Head
        • May 2006

anyone know if these two came out in the same year?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Out at the same time period, but the 985 came first:

RSP985 Pre/processor, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, THX 1999-2001 $1999
          RSP976 Pre/processor, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, RS232 2001 $1199

If you go to Rotel's site and choose 'PRODUCTS-PRODUCT ARCHIVES' you can see years and prices for all their old prodcuts.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DSGCobra
            • Feb 2003

1098 replaeced my 985. the 985 was a solid unit, great HT sound, never used it for 2ch audio though.

Comment

• Z Head
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Out at the same time period, but the 985 came first:

RSP985 Pre/processor, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, THX 1999-2001 $1999
              RSP976 Pre/processor, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, RS232 2001 $1199

If you go to Rotel's site and choose 'PRODUCTS-PRODUCT ARCHIVES' you can see years and prices for all their old prodcuts.

Kevin D.
              i just did, thanks!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"