X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • obiwan
    • Jul 2005

mike c

I think the amount of wire you have protruding from your banana plugs is asking for trouble. You would only have to move the amp slightly, the plugs could rotate allowing the + and - terminals to connect and then you'll be in trouble.

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

I used to A/B the amps a lot and found that the banana plugs are a joy to work with (I can only describe them as "orgasmic") the area I have the amp in now is pretty cramped, I can only work with one hand, so the banana plugs are a great help.

re: too much wire protruding ... I'll fix that up when the receiver arrives (I ran out of energy moving things around) the 1077 is really heavy! you can't really move it unless you lift it up and move ... I have the wires folded right now, but you're right, I'll get on it ASAP. (I think I'm buying the receiver first week of june)

adrian, If I'm not mistaken, the rear center channel from 6.1 is simply split into two to make 7.1 (since there aren't any discrete 7.1 movies yet AFAIK)

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by obiwan
        mike c

I think the amount of wire you have protruding from your banana plugs is asking for trouble. You would only have to move the amp slightly, the plugs could rotate allowing the + and - terminals to connect and then you'll be in trouble.
        The first thing I noticed in your pics. Best to fix at your earliest convenience.

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

just curious, what happens when the + and - touch? shouldnt the amp just go into protection?

Comment

• adrian carreon
            • Mar 2006

just curious, what happens when the + and - touch? shouldnt the amp just go into protection?
            Well, from what I have experience from the dealer where I bought my AVR the salesguy accidentally touch the + & - from the speaker and it turned to protection mode so he turn off and turn back on, it works fine but not sure on Amps though. I think now a days most of the Amp/AVR have protection mode.

Maybe someone here has an accurate answer to your question Mike.

:T
            Marantz SR8500; RMB-1075 Silver
            Dynaudio Audience 72SE; Audience 122C; Audience 42 & B&W ASW 600
            Samsung DV841; Samsung DLP 50"
            Cobalt Cable Interconnect; Audio Quest & Monster Cable

Comment

• Marcel B
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by adrian carreon
              Well, from what I have experience from the dealer where I bought my AVR the salesguy accidentally touch the + & - from the speaker and it turned to protection mode so he turn off and turn back on, it works fine but not sure on Amps though. I think now a days most of the Amp/AVR have protection mode.

Maybe someone here has an accurate answer to your question Mike.

:T
              From experience I know the RB981 will blow a fuse in the channel where it happened (I dropped the metal outside of a SCART connector on top of the banana plugs ops: , they are now protected with insulation tape)

Marcel B

Comment

• AVspec
                • Sep 2005

That is exactly what happens. Then correct the short and fire the amp back up again.

Comment

• adrian carreon
                  • Mar 2006

Marcel

So probably not all a/v equipment has that capability huh?

So we need to make sure all the cables is well connected and clean.

Rotel Rules!!!
                  :T ;x( :T ;x(
                  Marantz SR8500; RMB-1075 Silver
                  Dynaudio Audience 72SE; Audience 122C; Audience 42 & B&W ASW 600
                  Samsung DV841; Samsung DLP 50"
                  Cobalt Cable Interconnect; Audio Quest & Monster Cable

Comment

• mike c
                    • Dec 2005

I put the 1077 into the bottom shelf and put the DVD player on top of it.

after watching 2-3 hours of BSG ... I checked the warmth of the amp ... it was pretty hot. actually too hot. hmmm

the next day, I went and got a 2" spacer between the amp and player and checked again after 2 hours of watching, it was warm but not hot.
                    when I get my receiver i'll switch the player and amp OR get a PC fan to cool the amp.

Comment

• stewfoo
                      • Jul 2005

i just bought a 1077 but, now i think it is overkill for whole house audio. I am gonna a/b test my control4 amp with it. If the c4 amp blows... then I will stick with the 1077. If there is no major difference I will probably let the 1077 go at $1900 or so (US)
                      Stew

Comment

• mike c
                        • Dec 2005

whole house audio? I bought the rotel RMB 1066 for that. (it's 60w x 6 or in my case with impedance doubling Volume Controls, 30w x 12)

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"