X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

Rotel RMB 1077

I haven't listened to it yet but would like to share pictures just because I am excited (but not more excited than watching X3 tonight, so this will have to take a back seat)

Last edited by mike c; 26 May 2006, 10:39 Friday.
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

WOW !!! they didn't skimp on the size of the packing box either. Looks like their using a box large enough to put the RMB-1075 in.
    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• dmcgowan
      • Sep 2003

That is truly a ridiculous box for the amp inside it!

Was going to look into one for here until I realised they want $3300 for one. Still too much in the old Pacific Peso...

Comment

• JDH
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by dmcgowan
        That is truly a ridiculous box for the amp inside it!

Was going to look into one for here until I realised they want $3300 for one. Still too much in the old Pacific Peso...

That's interesting you were quoted $3300 considering the list price in Australia seems to be $3199 ? I guess the cost of digital amps will come down in price once they go more mainstream.

Last edited by JDH; 24 May 2006, 17:37 Wednesday.
        Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Enjoy the RMB-1077. I have come to realize with my RB-1092 that the digital line of Rotel amps is very impressive. I will probably get one more RB-1092 & one RB1091 to complete my HT power set up.

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

whas the second light indicate on the front? I know the first one is for power, but whats the other one for? Do they both light up blue?

Comment

• photoman
              • Apr 2006

You will be impressed with it's power / performance. I just finished bi-amping my 1077 to my 803D's. It opened those 803D like a Great White opens a seal. You'll love it.

Just to be sure I wasn't fooling myself, I went and listened to an Anthem D1 statement yesterday (same music and all same speakers). I couldn't tell a difference between that and my bi-amped 1077. At first I believed that the Anthem had a bigger sound stage; ran home with the sound fresh in my memory, nope the sound stage of the 1077 was the same as far as I can tell. In all fairness, I'm not sure if bi-amping the 1077 was the reason. I'm sure it was, because as soon as I heard the Anthem I noticed the sound stage (I've only put in a couple of hours with the bi-amped setup). The Anthem was, I believe 4k, big and heavy. So, for my setup the 1077 has the Anthem beat. Going to go back and listen to a Krell & Classe again (just for fun).

Even if I go to another amp, the 1077 is a keeper, as its versatility makes for a great amp for driving rears in a HT to being a great amp in another zone.

Comment

• mike c
                • Dec 2005

Vancouver, the second led is for "protection" its a warning that something is wrong.

I tried to A/B the 1066 bridged and the 1077 (150wpc vs. 100wpc), I level matched a particular peak in the song to about 90db ... I noticed that I was pushing the volume up with the 1077 to match the same 90db out of the 1066 - just proves that watts are watts ... if you want louder get the more watts.

but louder isn't really better? I had to dump the level matching procedure because it didn't really suit the 1077 that loud ... it was fine about 10db (volume level on the receiver) below what was used on the 1066. I haven't really given these 2 units a thorough A/B test so I will hold on the comparison til I do.

Comment

• mike c
                  • Dec 2005

miner, photoman:
                  I will give the 1077 a good listen and use some content that are more familiar to me, and hopefully be able to A/B it with my 1066.

one thing is for sure, I got what I wanted: small size with big performance!
                  but it isn't really lightweight, it's pretty heavy.

I also don't see how you can connect speakers out of phase on this one because it has colored binding posts, one red, one black

Comment

• mike c
                    • Dec 2005

it also has these yellow thingies that light up when on

Comment

• miner
                      • Mar 2005

what a tangled web we weave - what speaker cables are you using?

Comment

• adrian carreon
                        • Mar 2006

sorry guys for interupt your topic on this but I have a question for Photoman, you said something about Bi-Amping what do you mean by that? Correct me if I'm wrong is it two amps connected to the speaker? Are you getting more wattage on that? Is there any special speaker for that setup? Sorry guys for this question kind of curious on this.

Thanks!

Rotel Rules!!!

Mike C.

Please let us inform what do you think on the 1077. What a good looking amp mike!!!
                        Marantz SR8500; RMB-1075 Silver
                        Dynaudio Audience 72SE; Audience 122C; Audience 42 & B&W ASW 600
                        Samsung DV841; Samsung DLP 50"
                        Cobalt Cable Interconnect; Audio Quest & Monster Cable

Comment

• adrian carreon
                          • Mar 2006

Hey Mike where in MM your at? I know a friend from there... in makati city.

Comment

• photoman
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by adrian carreon
                            sorry guys for interupt your topic on this but I have a question for Photoman, you said something about Bi-Amping what do you mean by that? Correct me if I'm wrong is it two amps connected to the speaker? Are you getting more wattage on that? Is there any special speaker for that setup? Sorry guys for this question kind of curious on this.
                            It's basically taking two of the 4 of the 7 channels and connecting them to the speakers. I took 2 y-cables, connected the single end to the R or L of the pre-amp, then take one end and of the Y and feed the F/R on your amp, the other I chose the CB channels inputs. Then run those amp outputs into the speaker. In may case F/L for the high frequency and CB for the lows. Repeat for the other speaker. This will effectively give you 200 watts into your main speakers. In my case I took the extra 2 channels that weren't being used to add more power to my main speakers which increased the sound stage and opened up the speakers a bit. By open I mean that the speakers sounded more lively, the highs were crisp, lows solid sounding without a sub and the imaging was better as well. Worth it for the cost of 2 decent Y cables (about $35.00)

Comment

• adrian carreon
                              • Mar 2006

hmmm...that's a good idea but I assume that not all speakers can do bi-amping, am i right? It should have bi-wire terminal (low & high terminal pole)? The reason why I ask maybe I can do it to my setup and get more from my amps.
                              So tempting to do that man.

Comment

• mike c
                                • Dec 2005

miner, Im only using cheap ga. 14 speaker wires (silver looking ones)
                                the cables up front are very long RG59 or RG6 (whichever is thicker - I forgot) coaxial cables I use for looking for a sub position.

adrian, I live in quezon city, but the way metro manila is ... I am many times of the week in makati

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                  • Mar 2006

If the speaker has 1 pair of terminal (+ & -) the output from the amps (F/R & CB) which has 4 wires (2 pos & 2 neg) connect it to speaker terminal. Is this correct? It can be done on this setup eventhough its not a bi-wire terminal(2 pair of terminal) from the speaker? Sorry for my ignorance on this...still learning though... hehehe

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                    • Mar 2006

Mike,

Is it cheaper in mla on the rotel prices? If so probably I might get one from my friend who lives in Mkt...hehehe

Comment

• mike c
                                      • Dec 2005

it depends on how many % discount your dealer gave you ... I'll PM you the price I got it for

but don't forget, manila is 220v

oh and btw, if your speaker doesn't have 2 pairs of binding posts, you can't bi-amp AFAIK

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                        • Mar 2006

[/QUOTE]oh and btw, if your speaker doesn't have 2 pairs of binding posts, you can't bi-amp AFAIK

that what I thought so...

Thanks Mike!

Comment

• photoman
                                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by adrian carreon
                                          If the speaker has 1 pair of terminal (+ & -) the output from the amps (F/R & CB) which has 4 wires (2 pos & 2 neg) connect it to speaker terminal. Is this correct? It can be done on this setup eventhough its not a bi-wire terminal(2 pair of terminal) from the speaker? Sorry for my ignorance on this...still learning though... hehehe
                                          I don't see why it wouldn't work (what your trying to do), as to weather or not it has the same effect I couldn't tell you. In other words, bi-amping is supposed to have some real benefits to it, why else would B&W go though the trouble and expense of adding those extra posts, not to mention the crossover that is in there. I'm not sure about the technical reason why (yet), but I did notice the difference in my setup. Now would it be the same if I ran the extra channels into one set of posts (shunting the others of course), that I'm not sure. I guess a call to the good folks at B&W would be in order there. I might have something to do with the crossovers circuits (just a guess on my part).

I've got a Rotel 1040 power conditioner on oder, when it comes in I'm going to pull my setup apart and try running the bi-amping both ways to see if there is any difference; would be interesting to try.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

If you run two outputs (4 individual wires) into a speaker with only one input (2 wires) you will blow something up, most likely the amp. You can't dynamically combine channels like that.

The other side is, running two 100 watt outputs to one speaker does not give you 200 watts to the speaker. It gives you 100 watts to the low side and 100 watts to the high side.

Now you can certainly see benefits like Photoman has. It allows both sides to receive as much of the 100 watts as possible without one side (usually the bass speakers) taking away power from the other side.

Kevin D.

Comment

• photoman
                                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                              If you run two outputs (4 individual wires) into a speaker with only one input (2 wires) you will blow something up, most likely the amp. You can't dynamically combine channels like that.

The other side is, running two 100 watt outputs to one speaker does not give you 200 watts to the speaker. It gives you 100 watts to the low side and 100 watts to the high side.

Now you can certainly see benefits like Photoman has. It allows both sides to receive as much of the 100 watts as possible without one side (usually the bass speakers) taking away power from the other side.

Kevin D.
                                              Wow, great explanation Kevin thanks. Dam, blow something up, crap just my luck I would have done that. Thanks for the info. Looks like you have saved me some time, trouble and money; I'd like to buy a pair of 802D one day, but not that soon or in that manner ;-) Thanks.

The photoman will be at the Bronx zoo tomorrow doing the photo thing. I'll be the guy carrying a photo bag that is bigger then a silver back.

Comment

• mike c
                                                • Dec 2005

hey Kevin, good news: I dont' feel any of the negative effects on this amp that the other people are saying they hear. I feel happy with this purchase with no buyer's remorse whatsoever.

opposite of what they say in fact, its not forward, the vocals and music are right where they should be dead center and right where the TV is. (if you put in some music DVD's ... its perfect)

maybe the pre-pro of those guys who heard the amp and said it was too "forward" had the distance setting wrong.

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                                  • Mar 2006

That what I thought so on bi-amping but not sure enough on that if possible for a speaker that has 1 pair of terminal (1 input).

Anyway, thanks for your inputs and clarification on this guys. I really appreciated.

Now, I need to know from Mike about his new toy(1077)...how was it and what's the difference compare to non class d amps.

:T :T :T

Comment

• stewfoo
                                                    • Jul 2005

I just ordered a 1077 to power 1/2 of my ccm 80 in-ceilings... Should be sweet!
                                                    Stew

Comment

• foeth
                                                      • Apr 2006

In other words, bi-amping is supposed to have some real benefits to it, why else would B&W go though the trouble and expense of adding those extra posts, not to mention the crossover that is in there.
                                                      Note that if you just add two amp channels to be speaker terminals, you are just boosting power, but you are passively bi-amping. The signal still goes through the speaker crossover filters. Technically, this is not bi-amping at all and some say you are just better off with a single more powerful amp for "mono-amping". (Probably cheaper) You are now bi-wiring from different amp outputs.

You can also do a bit of active bi-amping, but you have to remove the cross-over filters from the speakers, and actively filter the signal from the pre-amp yourself. This is a bit more tricky and requires you to demolish your speaker (controlled, but surgery nonetheless). This can give you a significant quality improvement, but I doubt that well-built speakers with really expensive cross-over filters can be improved?

Bi-wiring is connecting two speaker cables from the same amp-out terminal to the high and low speaker connecting terminals. It is a common misconception that now low and high signals are now separated (cables are irritatingly linear in behavior). Perhaps this helps if you use 1 signal thin cable, but a good thick speaker cable should do the same as the difference is a) very small and b) not always good. Evil voice call biwiring buywiring.

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                                        • Mar 2006

Mike

What kind of speaker ur using? 2 or 5.1 channel?

Comment

• mike c
                                                          • Dec 2005

Display: Sony 40" XBR LCD
                                                          Receiver: Yamaha RX-V640
                                                          Power amp: Rotel RMB1066; RMB1077
                                                          Speakers: Infinity Beta 50 fronts; Beta C360 center; Beta 10 surrounds; Beta 10 rears
                                                          Subwoofers: Axiom EP500; Velodyne CHT-15R

too lazy to type ... its a cut and paste of my sig in another forum

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                                            • Mar 2006

hehehe...its ok!!!!

That's a good setup man.!!!

:T :T

Comment

• mike c
                                                              • Dec 2005

I forgot to mention that I'm probably getting the Yamaha Rx-v2600 to replace the 640
                                                              just waiting for the price to go down since I am in no hurry ... (getting married in July)

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                                                • Mar 2006

Congrats Mike in advance!!!

Yup, I agree with you man you need to save money for that matter!!!

Comment

• Hermie
                                                                  • Jan 2006

[QUOTE=mike c]I forgot to mention that I'm probably getting the Yamaha Rx-v2600 to replace the 640
                                                                  just waiting for the price to go down since I am in no hurry ... (getting married in July)[/QUOTE
                                                                  Congrats to you Mike!

Just want to know where did you got your Rotel, In manila or abroad? im also from manila but im here in taiwan. tnx.

Comment

• mike c
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

manila. there's an authorized importer in manila and a LOT of dealers.
                                                                    I can PM you the store details where I got it.

Comment

• mike c
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2005

pics of the binding posts (and why it's hard to make a mistake with the + and -)

Comment

• Hermie
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mike c
                                                                        manila. there's an authorized importer in manila and a LOT of dealers.
                                                                        I can PM you the store details where I got it.
                                                                        Thanks Mike!

How about the Axiom Subs, are they good as the Velodyne?

Comment

• mike c
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2005

the Axiom EP500 is way better than the Velodyne CHT-15R, but Velodyne, the brand, IMO currently holds the "best subwoofer" title for its Digital Drive series subwoofer.

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 54

but Velodyne, the brand, IMO currently holds the "best subwoofer" title for its Digital Drive series subwoofer.
                                                                            Hermie,

I agree with Mike on that but I've heard from other people/salesperson that above $1k price range on Velodyne is good but under $1k not good enough...not sure on that if it's true or not though I'm still searching the good answer.

Cheers!!!

:T :T :T

Comment

• mike c
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2005
                                                                              • 307

#39
                                                                              I've finally wired 6 of the speaker channels to the 1077. (my receiver can only do 6 channels and I don't have an RCA splitter on hand for the rear center)

its amazing how you can fit 100wpc x 7 into a tiny space. more importantly, how can you place a player on top of an amp without cooking it ... with the 1077, space and heat problems are practically moot.

Comment

• scanido
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2006
                                                                                • 548

#40
                                                                                Does anyone have pics of this amp in black?

Comment

• Clepto
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 292

#41
                                                                                  Use Photshop and replace silver with black (;

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2006
                                                                                    • 54

#42
                                                                                    oh man!!!

That is mess up man!!!

Comment

• adrian carreon
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2006
                                                                                      • 54

#43
                                                                                      Mike,

You know technology going better & better but more complicated though.

I've finally wired 6 of the speaker channels to the 1077. (my receiver can only do 6 channels and I don't have an RCA splitter on hand for the rear center)
                                                                                      Can you do that? If your planning to split it how will affect the sounds from the rear? Is it the same effect with 6.1 to 7.1 channel?

Comment

• foeth
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2006
                                                                                        • 85

#44
                                                                                        Does anyone have pics of this amp in black?
                                                                                        I could make you one, it looks so much better

Comment

• bzrk
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2005
                                                                                          • 64

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by mike c
                                                                                          pics of the binding posts (and why it's hard to make a mistake with the + and -)

why do you use bananaplugs?
                                                                                          Gr. Sebastian

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"