X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Contour controls

Why would Rotel put a contour control on the RC-1070 but not the RC-1090 preamp? Do the RSPs have a tone control? How about the recievers? Since using the RC-1090 I have not had a need fo it - just curious. I used every so often on the RC-1070 just to see if I could hear an audible difference.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The 1090 is the 'purist of the pure'. Putting contour settings on it would make people angry... And the RSP's do have it, but do have a bypass setting.

Kevin D.

Comment

• philly boy
      • Jul 2005

Hey Miner, how would you describe the performance of the RC-1090 as compared to the RC-1070? I have the RC-1070 and wonder what benefits come with upgrading to a better preamp.

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

As the owner of a rc990bx 2 channel pre amp (top model in 900 series) and judging by the sound it puts thru, there is little need for tone controls. It is just more circuitry to degrade the sound and may be of no use.

In a good room (acoustics wise), with other good components and speakers I reckon it sounds just right, full sounding but not too much bass, detailed and smooth without harshness, and equal to the best mids I have heard.

If there is a problem somewhere with the room or your other components are not up to the preamps standard, I guess then tone controls may be of some benefit, but they degrade the purity of the signal.

I think the tone controls are left out for a good reason.

Comment

• Boombox
          • Oct 2005

The Rotel RC03 is also without any contour and tone controls... :T

I use my contour control on the RC1070 for movies. When I set it on L1 for a movie, I can turn off my sub. That's how much more bass I gain from my two fronts (I don't have a HT system). The differences in contour setting on my hi-fi is deffinetly audible, and by quite a margin...

I also use the L1 setting on older cd recordings (mid to late 70s music) to boost my low end grunt... 8)

Otherwise I agree. The off position is where it is 90% of the time...
          Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by philly boy
            Hey Miner, how would you describe the performance of the RC-1090 as compared to the RC-1070? I have the RC-1070 and wonder what benefits come with upgrading to a better preamp.
            Other than the cosmetic differences, its the guts that differential the two. I have noticed a bit more on both the top and bottom ends. The soundstage appears to move somewhat back but that could be attributed to the RB-1092 amp. To be quite honest the RC-1070 spent most of the time with the RB-1070; RC-1090 with the RB-1092 so it is hard to do a fair comparison. I really like the uni-remote that came with the RC-1090.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"