RA-1070 v/s RA-1062 v/s RA-03 on sound quality ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2bluechris
    • Oct 2005

RA-1070 v/s RA-1062 v/s RA-03 on sound quality ?

In a fairly small room and driving efficient speakers , thus with amplifier not running at even half power or being stressed in any way , has anyone heard any quality difference between RA-1070 integrated amp ; RA-1062 integrated amp ; and RA-03 integrated amp ? ____ I am buying a new amp and wish to spend no more than necessary as I would prefer to save the additional money to buy a better quality CD player . ____ The salesman used a Musical Fidelity A5 CD player and B&W 705 speakers . This was already set up with 2 channels of an Arcam home theatre preamp and power amp , so I listened through to get an idea of the sound of the speakers in the unfamiliar dem. room . After I played a few different types of recordings - very clear sound in dem. room - he connected a new Audiolab 8000S integrated amp . This gave a warmer sound than the Arcam - the Arcam duo had sounded a bit sterile and not as like music , but in fairness to Arcam it is a home theatre model and not one of their Hi-Fi music amps . The Audiolab was OK in bass and lower midrange , but rolled off treble harmonics that I know are on my CDs , and it reduced the stereo width and less "open" sound . The salesman said the 8000S is 50watt/chan. He had no 60 or 70 watt/channel Arcam or Rotel in stock {only 40watt/chan. Arcam and Rotel in stock} so he connected the 100 watt/chan. RA-1070 . This was much better than the Audiolab - clear treble , plenty of sound stage - "open" sound , and better rhythm and much more musical than the Arcam home theatre duo . Good , but the volume control hardly got to 1/3rd up , so I don't need 100watt/chan for volume . The 50 watt Audiolab at a little under 1/2 volume drove the B&W 705s loud enough . __ I would like to hear in that good demo room the same CD player and speakers with either RA-1062 or RA-03 {or the new RA-06 - probably little different to the -03} , but salesman does not want to get either in unless a deposit is paid as he said he prefers to sell stock he has before getting in more - fair enough perhaps ... , so can anyone comment on whether the RA-1062 {60watt/chan.} and RA-03 {70watt/chan.} when run at 1/3rd to 1/2 volume will sound any less good through good speakers , such as B&W 705 , than the RA-1070 ? ___ mystified , Chris .
    Last edited by 2bluechris; 26 May 2006, 08:22 Friday. Reason: to qualify a statement .
  • 2bluechris
    • Oct 2005

Any enthusiasts ?

Surely someone here has heard 2 or 3 of these amps compared - any comments would be most helpful , please , Chris .

Comment

• fordster
      • Feb 2005

I own an RA-1062 and an RA-01 but I've never done a proper comparison of the two as they are on different systems in different rooms. The RA-01 is also lower powered than the RA-03 so any comparison may not be that valid. My RA-1062 drives B&W CM1s and the volume is normally in the range you are wanting to listen at (1/3rd to 1/2) and it sounds great. By RA-01 is driving Quad 11L speakers and again the volume is rarely turned up very high. The problem for comparison is that the CM1s seem to need more volume to get the best out of them than the Quads do. I did briefly drive a demo pair of CM1s from my RA-01 but the system was not in an optimum position and one of the tweeters had blown on the CM1s so I didn't do much testing. I think the 1062 is newer than the 1070 so I doubt it will sound any worse. Sorry, that's probably not much help.
      Dave

Comment

• BTB
        • Jan 2006

Hi Chris...

I'm sure I remember you from a Club B&W post... you were asking about the 705's... seems you've settled on them? Hope I'm not mixing things up here.. ops: They're great speakers, sure you'll enjoy them.

As for the amp... You might want to check out the similar thread on this board where you asked about the RC 1070/RB 1070 combo, I've made a suggestion of an alternate to a Rotel integrated there (a Naim Nait 5i), or are you dead set on using a Rotel?

Regardless, a good friend uses 705's with a Marantz PM 7200 and Arcam CD 73T to very good effect. Outside of the US the 7200 seems to have been discontinued, but the new PM 7001 has been picking up some good reviews so far, and it's cheap! (just over 300 GBP) These Marantz amps don't always have the tightest bottom end in the shop, but with the 705's being voiced towards "tightness" themselves the amp's slightly paunchy bass is well contained. On the up side, the Marantz passes all the sort of detail and fluid midrange that the baby 700's really love. From the sounds of your post analytical/sterile is not your first choice, in this case I'd definitely check out the Marantz or similar, unless you'd already planned to spend a bit more.

Comment

• 2bluechris
          • Oct 2005

to Dave/fordster and BTB .

Hi Dave , well even in different systems one would still know whether one was musically satisfied by both , or feeling frustrated by one of the systems , but if the Source component is significantly different in both then such may not be an accurate comparison . I have not heard 11L , but I have heard 12L - their midrange detail revealing ability seemed good - thus the 11Ls should give an idea of musical quality of each amp at least through mid-range and treble -{bass was a bit indistinct from the 12Ls , and did not go very deep - nor did I expect it to - dealer did not have the lower tuned 21Ls that I wanted to hear} . Thanks for your reply - all comments are interesting . ______ Hi BTB , I can't get this computer to space the paragraphs , thus the ___ - it used to space paragraphs for forum posting - I don't know why it stopped - I don't understand computers , and I prefer music and Hi-Fi equipment ! Yes , it is I who enquired in the B&W forum about 705s , and I have now auditioned twice - 2 different rooms and ancillary gear to try to ascertain their strenghts and control what may be their weakness {low bass notes not well defined - those that are within its bandwidth, but that should be discussed in the B&W Forum} . 705s mids and treble and imaging ability are all very good and clearly disclose the differences between amplifiers and CD players , thus why I am trying to choose an amplifier I can afford which will drive them well enough for musical enjoyment {a recently revived , once well regarded brand didn't!} . So far I have not heard the "tightness" you mention of the 705 bass - even with a Musical Fidelity A3.5 , and CD3.5 - but in all other ways the 705s sounded great driven by the M.F.s - bass problem could have been in that room . I can't afford M.F. even 1 piece , if I buy 705s . My neighbour has an Arcam CD73T and I'm thus familiar with its sound , good indeed , but not exactly what I would prefer . Perhaps we'll have our posts deleted if we discuss Marantz amps too much in a Rotel forum , though I am curious to hear their new 7001 amp as well as the RA-03 ; 06 ; 1062 driving 705s . The RA-1070 was going in the right direction with the 705s , thus I'm wanting to hear how much further the more recent , fine-tuned for audio , Rotels may go , if they are used within their power envelope / transient capability , etc ... thankyou for your reply post - something to think about . Best wishes , Chris .

Comment

• BTB
            • Jan 2006

Hi Chris,

Check the PM I sent you for my reply.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"