X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Jet Li and Jackie Chan movie, "The Forbidden Kingdom"

This one is being released 18 April. Looks very interesting--we get Jackie Chan AND Jet Li in one movie! Two masters together. We'll see if Jackie's getting old in comparison.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

What??? No Owen Wilson ???
    My Homepage!

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
      What??? No Owen Wilson ???
      Or Chris Tucker???

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Or Stiffler?
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Yeah, I've been waiting for this movie since it was talked about. Looks kinda cool cause it's not just a hardcore martial art kind of film, but mixed with a fantasy type as well, you know. I can't wait to see it!

And regardless of Jackie Chan's age, I give him more credit than Jet Li cause Jackie Chan has never had to change the frame rate to make himself look faster. But it's going to be cool to see both of them work together. However, the ending is pretty obvious.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Huh... so has Jet Li overclocked his film speed?
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Overclocked?? Chris, you're a PC nerd, aren't you? ha ha It's ok... we're all nerds somehow if we're spending 4 to 5 digits on speakers.

But yes, a LOT of Jet Li's fighting scenes are recorded in a slower frame rate to make his moves look faster. Granted, he's probably already fast in real life, but they make him look faster than he is in real life.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

True. Maybe I should film my life in slow motion, especially when I'm at work, or when I'm exercising. That way I can work faster, the workday will be shorter for me, and I'll run faster! Hmmm.... sounds good. Make my boss happy, too.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

My instant thought to your comment was to post "Chris, you're so weird"... but then I looked at my name and avator.

It comes out next week, right? Maybe it'll be here in Japan sometime this month... hopefully.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Hey, no argument about the weird thing, I suppose.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

I saw it last night.
                      It was ok. There were alot of kids in the theater so that kinda put me in the "why am I here" mood.

Its wasn an enjoyable movie. The whole monkey king thing was a bit much for me. Good humor, however IMO the whole movie was aimed at the younger generation.

If you are interested in seeing it, go check it out. As mentioned earlier, its not hard core martial arts.
                      B&W

Comment

• P-Dub
                        Office Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

I will have to give this a Meh, rating.

The Good: Fight sequences.

The Bad: The story.

The Drawn Out: Getting from one fight to the next.

I was really looking forward to this movie, so much so I actually caught it on the openning weekend, okay last night, but it still counts.

The story starts off with some promise, a kid who loves Kung Fu movies in present time, discovers that the pawn shop he goes to, has this cool staff that somebody was supposed to pickup but hasn't. Of course this kid gets picked on and is forced to help some bullies break into the shop and big bully pulls out a gun, shoots the shop owner and chases the kid. I'm not even going to look up the kids name, casue I thought he was pretty forgetable. Problem is, he is in the movie.

Said kid grabs the staff and runs, some how he is then thrown back in time to ancient China, or make that an alternate universe and time. Then begins the quest to free the Monkey King and return everything to normal.

For those that will eventually see this movie, on screen or on DVD, I think it would be a good rental and just FF to the fights. Here's a tip to help with the language barrier, as I didn't buy the movie reason. The staff the kid holds is a magic staff that allows him to converse with those in his immediate surroundings.

So there you go.
                        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"