X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radim
    • Feb 2004

Better upgrade for 2-channel music

My current system is 1066,1075,1072 and dvd.

What's better upgrade for 2-channel music :
    1. 1095 + 1075
    2. 1066 + 1080

(I can't build 1095+1080 now.)
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

I pick door number 2, because it is a dedicated amp specifically for 2 channel.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• radim
      • Feb 2004

o.k.

Here are two sides:
      1. 1098 has better sound processor (and is upgradeable). Preamp is very important for the system maybe more than power amp. And 1075 is not bad amp.
      2. 1080 is of course dedicated 2-channel amp and very good. But is 1066 equal match ?

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

I am somewhat confused. If you are comparing the RSP-1098 to the RSP-1066, then the 1098 is a jump up on the separates ladder. I have owned both the 1066 and 1098, sonically the 1098 is superior. That being said the 1066 is a very good pre/pro, if you have budget restraints I would run the 1066 with the RB-1080 and call it day. If not....well, break out your wallet :LOL: .

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• tombowlus
          • Feb 2004

I would opt for the RSP-1068, in light of its analog pass through for 2-channel. In fact, I intend on trading in my nearly new 1066 for a 1068 for this very reason. I have tried to develop a system that is strong in two channel, and adequate in HT, so the analog pass through and better DAC in the 1068 is appealing to me.

Tom.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I say stick with the 1066 and add the 1080. If you want an even bigger improvement go all the way to the 1098 an 1080.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'd go for the 1098 and keep your 1075 amp. That's the exact same system I'm running now and its a huge step up from the 1055/1066. Plus it would be easy enough to add a 1080 later on if you still found it lacking

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Radim,

I'd second Andrew with the same RSP-1098 and RMB-1075+ I've got the RB-1080 and know the difference it makes.

The RSP-1098 makes a much much bigger improvement in the sound (especially for stereo) than the extra quality from the RB-1080 compared to the RMB-1075.

The RB-1080 is a very nice addition for stereo, further upping the ante in the quality and control of the sound. But my view would be start with the best source and then get the extra amp when you can. You will then really appreciate the extra quality from the RB-1080. I am a strong advocate of the RB-1080 for stereo sound quality - But if someone said I either had to give back my RB-1080 or swap the RSP-1098 for a RSP-1066 – they’d have the RB-1080 every time!

If you're stretched for $ you may want to try the RSP-1068 (which I haven't heard but should be relatively close in sound to the RSP-1098 ) and still get the RMB-1075. (In fact with the RRP difference you could get the RB-1080 for the savings from the RSP-1098 If you go this route I’d listen first though to be sure.)

Enjoy

Geoff

Comment

• Tom Bombadil
                  • Feb 2004

Geoff,

I purchased the 1098+1075 combination before Christmas, trading in my cherished Musical Fidelity A3.2 pre/power amps. I have been amazed by the performace of the Rotels and find the "house sound" very enjoyable and an easy listen. One attribute of the Musical Fidelity combo was an "exciting" sound without much fatigue.

I am really interested in getting the RB1080 in the coming months and would welcome your opinion on this amp with any comparisons you may have made. I notice that it was once badged as THX Ultra compliant but this badge has since disappeared. I have read about possible hum issues and am lead to believe that Rotel recently addressed some grounding issues.

Do you have any pictures of the amp and it's internals that you may share?

Thank you in advance

Darren

Source : Imagination
                  Power : Courage
                  Transducer : Action

Comment

• radim
                    • Feb 2004

Thanks for your tips. I think better upgrade is 1098+1075.
                    But I forgot one other thing: add to my system 2-channel preamp RC-1090. What do you think about it ?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

mad_darren,

The RB-1080 externally looks like a 2/3 height version of your RMB-1075. They come in black with red LEDs or Silver / Black with blue LEDs (mine)

Here are some pictures of inside a black RB-1080

Inside

Close up

Output stages

(Not my RB-1080 I hasten to add)

Re the THX certification – Rotel has to pay a licensing fee for each THX product produced. If they have dropped the certification for these (I haven't heard that they have and mine's still certified) – it makes no difference to the sound.

Re the Hum – Do a search on this forum
                      Try this link LINK1
                      and this link LINK2
                      The super net version would be that new V3 RB-1080 with the dual WBT speaker biding posts is the best Rotel have made. However it is grounded and therefore will expose any earth leak / ground loop in your HT environment (most typically from a cable TV, Satellite TV or normal TV aerial). All easy fixed with the right isolation transformer and NOT any fault of the RB-1080 – just a characteristic of amplifiers with earth pins.

In terms of the sound quality - there are some good posts on this from several people who have upgraded to it. In my experience for stereo it is more dynamic, open, transparent with a more 3D soundstage that the (very good) RMB-1075, while sharing the family sound. With your RSP-1098's high quality you will really notice the difference. It takes a little while to settle in - but if you do much stereo listening you will never regret buying it.

Geoff

Comment

• Tom Bombadil
                        • Feb 2004

Geoff,

Thank you so very much for taking the trouble to obtain and post the excellent pictures. It sure looks well made and I will indeed take a listen to one in the next few months.

The addition of the 1080 (silver) will finish off my setup perfectly!

Thank you once again

Regards

Darren

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Indeed, I agree with Geoff, the RB-1080 is a wonderful addition. I have added the RB-1080 to the 1098 and RMB-1095, (esp.,with DoProIIx upgrade, and running 7.1), and it has provided acoustical bliss, just ensure you purchase the RB-1080 with four binding post that is the most recent version.

I believe you have chosen wisely,

Azeke

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

That's a good looking amp inside. It has that look of substance!

Thanks for the pics Geoff.

Lex
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

radim,
                              Thanks for your tips. I think better upgrade is 1098+1075.
                              But I forgot one other thing: add to my system 2-channel preamp RC-1090. What do you think about it ?

The RC-1090 is a very nice stereo pre-amplifier. I have heard it but not directly compared it to the RSP-1098. However I would put money on it sounding significantly better for stereo than the very good RSP-1098.

However, you should be aware that you would then need a separate stereo amplifier (e.g. the RB-1090 or RB-1080) and speakers OR do cable swapping to listen to stereo using the pre-processor.

So like many of us you will need to make a decision over the absolute quality of your stereo listening compared to the Home Theater sound. For me the RSP-1098 represents a very good compromise. A number of reviews have praised it as a audiophile grade stereo pre-amp as well as a HT processor.

However - for the sort of dollars you would be spending - If at all possible you should listen for yourself.

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Save your money and puchase quality cabling instead, I think you will be happy with the RSP-1098 in 2 channel. You can always audition later, but with a separate 2 channel amp for your fronts and the 1075, you should be fine for now. Don't let the upgraditis bug bite you too soon, be patient. 8) However the final decison should be based on your own listening pleasures, after all it's your money.

Your mileage may vary,

Azeke

Comment

• radim
                                  • Feb 2004

OK.
                                  I continue with my previous conclusion: 1098+1075 (and later 1080). Again thanks for your all advices.

How Azeke said: 'Don't let the upgraditis bug bite you too soon, be patient.'. I must however to say, it isn't light sometime.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"