X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HibbardSmith
    • Jan 2004

1098 no SW test tones

After a lot of research, quite a bit of it on this forum, and going back and forth I decided to go with the Rotel 1098 to replace my venerable Sony TAE9000ES preamp. I've had the Rotel about 2 weeks now and am finally finishing getting it fully connected. I keep getting distracted listening or watching.

Anyway, I'm trying to actually set up the speaker levels with an SPL meter. I can't get any test tone on the SW. I've tried everything I can think of and I just can't get anything at all.

The firmware is 1.1.1. Isn't that a little old? Should I install the latest (1.1.6) and is the process relatively safe? I'm very computer literate and I know my way around electronics, so I'm not worried about doing it. I just know that some some firmware upgrades can leave a product useless if they go bad. I thought I'd draw on the experience here before I just charge into it.

Thanks, in advance for any help or advice.

Smitty,
    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
    smitty@essnjay.com
    Smitty,
    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
    smitty@essnjay.com
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hibbard,

I'd definitely upgrade to 1.1.6 (unless 2.1.1 is out in the next day or so).

Lots of niggles and bugs were fixed after 1.1.1.

The 1.1.6 upgrade is easy to do, with all instructions etc on Rotel's site

You'll need the special serial communications cable supplied with thr RSP-1098. A laptop helps - so you don't have to move the RSP-1098. Some tips based on past posts:
    • Don't forget to follow the instructions re the RSP-1098 dip switches ON to load the firmware and then OFF when you finish
    • It takes a while depending on your Windows version. 98 and 2000 seem best, with some folks with Windows XP having (known) problems with speed (i.e. its serial communications is very slow).
    • You can repeat the process if it goes wrong / hangs-up etc
    • The upgrade from 1.1.1 is so big I would re-do your settings (perhaps even a factory default reset first) once you have installed it and recalibrate the speaker levels etc (they will be different)

Now - all that aside - I don't know why your test tones wouldn't work - I started with 1.1.2 and they were fine on that. I think HT Guide member whmacs also recently a RSP-1098 with 1.1.1 and did a test tone calibration fine. However install 1.1.6 and then see if you still have the problem - we (existing RSP-1098 users) can probably talk you through it at that point.

PS - If you decide to delay to 2.1.1 read those instructions really carefully - its a 4 step process with the first 3 being EEPROM patches to direct addresses – As it’s not released yet, I'm not certain how / if this is recoverable if someone gets the patch addresses wrong

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm not sure why you wouldn't hear a SW test tone unless its set to off in the setup menu. Now that the new firmware for PLIIx is out I'd highly suggest upgrading your processor to the latest code just to rule out that possibility

Comment

• whmacs
        • Oct 2003

Hi,
        Under v1.1.1 you should hear a sub woofer test tone. A couple of things to try:
        1. Is your sub the type that turns itself on when it detects a signal on the line in? Is so, turn the volume of your sub up to half way and turn the volume of the RSP-1098 up to 75. Now go into the test tone menu and try the sub test tone. With these types of subs (mine is like this) There can be a 5 second pause before the sub turns itself on when it detects a signal.
        2. Do you have a HT setup DVD? If so try generating a test tone using that.
        3. Try a DVD with lots of low base to see if anything is coming out of your sub.

cheers,
        Stephen

My Home Theatre
        My Home Theatre

Comment

• HibbardSmith
          • Jan 2004

Mia Culpa,

I'm embarrassed to admit this one, but here goes. The sub was actually plugged into center 2 instead of sub 1. My only excuse is the light's not too good back there in the "jungle". Somehow, I managed to plug it into the wrong connector. I was getting some bass to the sub from the center connector and therefore there was something coming from the sub in normal use. However, it was way too little. That's part of why I was trying to calibrate in the first place.

Needless to say, while pursuing this, I had turned the sub's gain control up quite high. After plugging it in to the correct jack and trying the test tones again, I now have to do some serious renailing of my house. Oh well, at least it's working great now and calibrated just fine.

Thanks for the help.

Smitty,
          Hibbard T. Smith, JR
          smitty@essnjay.com
          Smitty,
          Hibbard T. Smith, JR
          smitty@essnjay.com

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"