X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n33
    • Feb 2004

a 6.1 setup on a 5 channel system?

Hello.

Im a happy owner of the rotel 1095-1075 combo.
    Currently im using the 5 channels of the 1075 to steer two front Dynaudio 52stp speakers, two kef coda suround speakers and a passive sub.
    Im looking into taking the next step forward by freeing up the centre channel im currently using to power the sub by buying a REL stampede or strata 5. Ill use the centre channel to steer a dynaudio contour centre speaker.

Currently my speakers are set up as follows;
    Two front speakers, about 2,5 metres apart with the 2 metre front projection screen (im using an optoma H30 projector which i can highly recommend to anyone btw ) nicely in between.
    Two surround speakers about 1 metre to the rear of my listening position, which is limited by the size of my room.
    The centre channel is downmixed to the both front speakers, with the result of which im pretty happy.

I find that with some 5.1 music recordings some of the instruments are mixed to the rear channels too much, interfering with proper instrument placement. Like for instance on the robby williams live in albert hall dvd i can hear some of the musicians behind me, making the recording sound unnatural.

I think this could be partially solved by bring the surround speakers more to the front of my room, ie. directly to the side of my listening position.
    Id be losing pretty much all the rear sound devellopment though.

Im considdering wether its an option to use the centre amp channel to drive the centre speaker as a centre surround speaker and combining that with moving the surround speakers forward to the sides of my listening position. Id have to keep the centre front channel downmixed to the two fronts that way.

Has anyone ever given this a try? Is the rear devellopment youd get from a single centre surround worth giving up the centre front speaker?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I don't know I'd give up the centre channel but yes moving the rears to the side and adding a rear surround back speaker(s) will generally significantly improve the surround envelope you hear.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"