X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drsiebling
    • Jan 2006

Rotel RB 1080 - Info?

Hey cool gang,

I'm about to purchase a RB 1080 for use in combination with my RSX-1056 driving a pair of DM602s3s. (soon to be driving B&W 805s).

A couple of quick concerns:

1. Because of space constraints, this amp will have to sit under my AV cabinet directly on a hardwood floor. It will have approximately 2 inches of clearance above the amp and plenty of clearance to the front, rear and sides. I understand these amps run a little hot. Should I be concerned?

2. There have been some reports of problems with the voltage triggers on these amps. What precautions should I take? I wouldn't have a problem not using a trigger and would prefer to leave the amp on 24/7. However, with the above mentioned overheating concerns, is this wise? This amp is approximately 4 years old and is one of the THX Ultra models. Would I be better off spending the extra $400 on a new one?

Thanks again, you guys ROCK!

-Ben
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Should be OK

drsiebling,

A 4 year old 1080? I didn't think they were out that long. I have a 1080 (for now, replacing with 1077 and bi-amping) running B&W N804's. My 1080 definitely runs pretty warm. 2 inches above should be fine with all of the other space around it. As for the trigger, I've not had any issues with mine for the year I've owned it. And I do use the trigger feature. Leaving it on should also be fine. It will only get warm when using it. In idle mode, it should be cool. As for buying a new one, that's your call. Obviously more money, but it comes with a five year warranty. I also believe the recently manufactured 1080's have been corrected with respect to the fuses and voltage triggers. Finally, even though the THX badge is not on the current 1080, it definitely meets the standards. Interestingly, the 1080 manual talks about THX Ultra (on page 6).

Hope this helps.

Comment

• drsiebling
      • Jan 2006

4 years old is what the seller is telling me. Strangely, he won't send pics, so I'm afraid it might not be what is advertised. So, I'll probably go new. Now, If I could just find someone to sell me a really clean set of Nautilus 804 speakers, I'll be set.

Based on your advice and for sound reasons, I'll bypass the trigger and just leave the amp on 24/7.

Thanks for the advice...

-Ben

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"