X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slyther3
    • Apr 2006

S.O.S paradigm 100's w/ 1067 bi-amp or Seperates

hello again...... listen I dont know if my salesperson is B.S'n me or what... I am going to run these 100's in 5.1 and studio 20's in the rear with b&w sub... The Salesmen is telling me that the 1067 will be fine with the Studio 100's.... However we will bi-amp them and they will be runnin 250 watts through thwem... is this true.... Paradigm told me that the 100's like at least 200watts of clean power.... I asked and this dude says that the 1067 is more than adequate....... I know I am a pain in the ass with these questions I just want to get it right.... peace to all of you and rock on.....
    Csk....... will The Suns beat the Lakers......... ?
  • NonSense
    • Nov 2003

Have a read through this current tread.

Bruce

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Personally I'd get the 1057 receiver and a 1080 2-ch amp if it was my money. Or the 1075+1080 etc....
      Jason

Comment

• hifisponge
        • Mar 2006

I'd have to side with your dealer. I ran the Paradigm S8s with an AVR to insane levels no problem. You can always try it for yourself and if you feel like you need more power (you want to play music at higher volumes), get a an outboard amp.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

The Paradigms are fairly sensitive and will play loud. I had 2 pairs of Studio 60 v.2 and the LCR450 center on a Denon 3802 and it went PLENTY loud for me and they just beg to be played louder and louder. With the Rotel you will be fine....and especially if you biamp them. So get the receiver if you want it, and if you need more power later, its easy to add an amp.

Comment

• DL86
            • Sep 2005

My studio 100's v3 sounded terrible with my yamaha rx-v 657 receiver. Switched back to the rb-1080 and my sound was back again. At least a 1080 to power the 100's I would say. I have a rb-1090 now to power the 100's and the sound is breath taking. I doubt you get much volume from a receiver without distortion. As all the reviews suggest at least 200w of power to get the live sound feel from the 100's.

Comment

• DelRay
              • Jun 2004

Must be missing something here. Bi-amping the 1067 will still get you 125 watts per speaker. 125w to the mid/tweeter and 125w to the woofers. If you can bridge 2 of the channels on the 1067 then you will get 250 watts. Someone set me straight on this.

Comment

• DL86
                • Sep 2005

Bi-amping will not give you a full 250 w from the 20 hz to the 20 khz range. Say you amplifier anything from 20 - 300 hz for the bass 125 W and anything above 300 hz you give another 125 W the maximum you can amplify any part the audio bandwidth is 125 W. Whereas if it was a 250W single channel amplifier to one speaker if one part of the bandwidth calls for 250 W it can get it. Impossible with bi-amplification. It cannot magically occur that one of the amplifiers of 125W powering the highs can help the other amplifer amplify the bass region to more than 125W or vice versa. Hope this helps.

Comment

• blues651
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hifisponge
                  I'd have to side with your dealer. I ran the Paradigm S8s with an AVR to insane levels no problem. You can always try it for yourself and if you feel like you need more power (you want to play music at higher volumes), get a an outboard amp.
                  I believe we are talking about two seperate things here, ( loud and good sound) if you want Just loud you'll be ok with just the 1067. Now if you want good detail and definition (and louder yet) like you heard at the dealer you'll need a high current amp like the 1090. Just curious , how many watts per ch. did the paradigm dealer have running the 100's?

Comment

• Jraducha
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DelRay
                    Must be missing something here. Bi-amping the 1067 will still get you 125 watts per speaker. 125w to the mid/tweeter and 125w to the woofers. If you can bridge 2 of the channels on the 1067 then you will get 250 watts. Someone set me straight on this.

I dont believe you can bridge the channels on a 1067....

Comment

• DelRay
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jraducha
                      I dont believe you can bridge the channels on a 1067....
                      Right. So, the salesman didn't really know. Or was misinformed.
                      Last edited by DelRay; 07 May 2006, 20:55 Sunday.

Comment

• whoaru99
                        • Jul 2004

Don't see/read where the salesman said anything about bridging or even bi-amping.

I think all the salesman seems to have said is that the receiver will work fine with the Studio 100's. And, it just might, sort of depends on quite a few factors like how loud of a playback level is desired.
                        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by whoaru99
                          Don't see/read where the salesman said anything about bridging or even bi-amping.
                          Originally posted by slyther3
                          ... The Salesmen is telling me that the 1067 will be fine with the Studio 100's.... However we will bi-amp themand they will be runnin 250 watts through thwem... is this true....
                          The 1067 doesnt allow you to bi-amp the front channels. So unless they are using an additional amplifier, they cant biamp them. Which is why I suggested living with it until you feel like you need more power.

And yes, you can get plenty loud and plenty clear with a good receiver. I would regularly have my Denon 3802 to "00" on the readout with my Studio 60 v.2 without a hint of distortion.

Comment

• slyther3
                            • Apr 2006

He hooked up the 1067 so I believe it was 125 since he just had 2 channels set up.... But they still sounded thirsty..... Dont trust my dealer

Comment

• slyther3
                              • Apr 2006

Thanks all you Electro Heads...

Man it is sure nice to know such good Quality Audioholics. ;x( I have decided to go with the 1057 and power it with the 1095 for now...Seperates is such the way to go... I appreciatte everyones feedback...... Long live the snail ...... :T

Comment

• blues651
                                • Nov 2005

Slyther, sounds like your going in the right direction, enjoy!

Comment

• htsteve
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Other possibilities

slyther,

The 1057 and 1095 will be really nice. If you haven't ordered these pieces yet and your budget allows, I might suggest a couple of other options. One,
                                  get a 1068 and 1095 combo. The 1068 is about $400 USD more than the 1057. I have this combination driving Nautilus B&W's and I'm very pleased with this combo :B . If you listen to radio, you would need a separate tuner, as the 1068 does not have a tuner. Secondly, you could get the 1057 and a 1077 7 channel amp. The 1077 is $500 more than the 1095. It's quite small, runs cool and by everything I've researched, is a top notch amp (I have one on order I hope to pick up this week) Hopefully, your dealer is giving you a good discount, like 10%.

If you go the reciever + amp combo, how do you plan to use the outboard amp? Running all 5 speakers, running the front three? You could bi-amp your 100's (or the front three in the case of the 1077). Then you could still run the rears off the receiver. Obviously, this changes if you get a pre-amp like a 1068.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Actually I'd get the 1057/1095 at this point. The 1057 has HDMI switching which will be useful plus with all the new formats/connections etc it's not unlikely that he'd have to upgrade the pre/pro in the not too distamt future. With the 1057 he'll have spent less money plus he'll have a pretty nice piece to use in a secondary system or to sell.
                                    Jason

Comment

• slyther3
                                      • Apr 2006

Steve this is quite new to me and is becoming a very cool hobby..... <lots of dough> yikes! So when you made the statement about the outboard amp.. i thought that with the 1095 I would run all the speakers of the amp..... I also liked the fact it had the hdmi switching. I guess that is a waste of ampreage with the 1057.... Geez. I just WANT good quality sound out of the 100's. 60/40 M/HT..... I cant WAIT to actually kick back and listen to all this.....
                                      Peace

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

I'm with Steve, use the 1057 for surrounds and use 4 channels of the 1095 to bi-amp the 100's! :twisted: :yesnod:
                                        Jason

Comment

• htsteve
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Just trying to help

slyther,

I tend to look at an upgrade with a budget in mind. I also tend to look at if I spent a bit more or change my thinking/solution a bit, can I get more bang for my bucks. I tend to also post this way. Sorry for any confusion. Yes, this hobby can be information overload, but it's fun.
                                          A couple of other observations. First, I personally have all my video sources direct to my TV. I don't use receivers or AV pre-amp to switch. My personal preference. I believe in touching a signal (be it audio or video) as little as possible. However, if you are interested in HDMI switching, I can see why the 1057 is on the list. Also, with this solution, I have no doubt that your entire system will sound excellent. Since you are also slightly tilted towards music, using the 1057 for the rears and using the 1095 to bi-amp the 100s and run the center channel would be, IMO, a good use of the amp channels you are getting. This would give you even better performance out of the 100's, which should translate to better 2 channel. It will also help with HT. I'm not sure you will hear that much difference in the rear speakers using the 1057 vs a 1095. The only thing you would need to bi-amp is another pairs if cables and some quality splitters. Maybe Doug at Cat Cable can even make a y type cable. Send him a message.

Let us know how it all sounds.
                                          Last edited by htsteve; 12 May 2006, 09:26 Friday.

Comment

• slyther3
                                            • Apr 2006

I definitly will let you all know how it sounds.... This guy who was going to install the system from Wilson's Audio is booked now for 3 wks.... My expierence with these guys has been totally ROTTEn.... HHmmm....... I am going to have to do this myself...... Should be interesting..... Speaker wire? any other suggestions on what I might need..... My Rotel gear will be in next Tuesday..... Any Recommendations on breakin in speakers...... All 5 + sub are new.... ? Gotta bail... Time to go to work. Anyone looking for an RV?
                                            CSK

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"