• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anotherdavid
    • May 2006

RB 1080 and the 12v trigger/fuse issue

Hi all

first post, new RB 1080 owner

I've read through a few posts here regarding an issue with fuses blowing on the RB 1080, apparantly, but not exclusively, when using the 12v trigger to switch it.

Is there any way to tell if an amp has had the modification to address the issue (eg - above a certain S/N is OK or look for certain part numbers on componenets etc?)

I hope to use the 12v trigger on mine, but will go without if theres a risk.

The amp was purchased in September last year

thanks for your help

David
    Last edited by anotherdavid; 05 May 2006, 04:39 Friday. Reason: edited to remove obvious lack of product knowledge. RMB 1080 indeed..
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

Hi David, I'm not sure how to tell, but the fuse issue has occurred in only a small percentage of RB-1080s. I have been using my 1080 for over 2 years with the 12V trigger with no fuse problems. My left channel went down on Sunday and I was quick to suspect/blame the fuse issue. Turns out my 1080 is fine in that department. The output transistors failed. This is apparently a VERY rare occurence for a 1080.

You could possibly call International Dynamics with your serial number to check if the modification has been done, but I think you would be very unlucky to have any problems.

-Ben

Comment

• Taito
      • Sep 2004

Welcome, BTW.

Comment

• Marlboroman
        • Aug 2005

There is a fairly easy way to tell if your amp has the new modification. Each amp channel has two large caps sticking out of them. These caps were originally 1000uF 100v 85 deg C rated caps and when they do the upgrade they change these to 1000uF 100v 105 deg C rated caps. Just take the top cover off and read the caps and see if yours are the 105 deg caps. If they are then you are good to go.

Comment

• anotherdavid
          • May 2006

thanks - i'll have a look

would I be within my rights to take it in under warranty for the "fix" if it has not been done?

david

Comment

• JDH
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by anotherdavid
            thanks - i'll have a look

would I be within my rights to take it in under warranty for the "fix" if it has not been done?

david
            David,

If you speak to International Dynamics in Melbourne they can tell you whether your RB-1080 has had the official modification done on it by the serial number. I had my RB-1080 modified, it will be fully covered by warranty and as I beleive it is also covered outside of warranty as it is a design fault. I was told by international Dynamics that any new RB-1080's sold around Jun 2005 onwards where all modified prior to going to Australian dealers. The guy to speak to is David Mason from International Dynamics.

I had the modification done about a year ago and I haven't had a problem since, I use the 12V trigger all the time without an issue.

John.
            Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• anotherdavid
              • May 2006

thanks everyone - i appreciate your replies

david

Comment

• drsiebling
                • Jan 2006

This is the exact reason I have hesitated on buying a pre-owned 1080. I guess you could always just leave the amp on 24/7... that's my plan.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"