X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vaci
    • May 2006

Monitor Audio RS6 and RMB 1066 don't mix

I just bought a beautiful new pair of Monitor Audio RS6 speakers, which I decided to bi-amp through my RMB-1066 power amp, using channel A for the top end and channel B for the bass.

However, I am having intermittent problems with the protection circuit kicking in on channel A if I turn the volume over half way. The amp doesn't seem to be geting particularly warm and I've checked the wiring, so I'm guessing there is a current overload. Even if I swap the channels, it is always A that faults.

I'm aware that the amp is probably a little underpowered for these speakers (they are rated 40-120W at 6ohm), but I'm surprised that it is dropping out so quickly.

Is anybody using this amp for bi-amping big, difficult speakers? Am I going to have to junk the amp and get something like a RB-1080?

Vaci
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

-check to see if there are wire strands touching each other. (since you are wrapping the wire around the posts, there could be some strays that are touching each other)
    -did you remove the jumper at the back of channel A speaker?
    -perhaps the channel a switch has been switched to bridge mode
    -can you take a pic of the back of your 1066 with all the wires as they are now?

im powering full towers that are capable up to 250w (dual 8" woofers)
    I use banana plugs (all hail the inventor of the banana plugs)
    the 1066 can be bridged to 150wpc (x3)

Comment

• vaci
      • May 2006

I can't really bridge the 1066 channels as the speakers are rated 6ohm and the minimum recommended for bridging is 8ohm.

The A channel is set to "stereo", the B channel is set to "link" and the redundant C channel is set to "stereo".

The jumpers on the crossovers are removed, and I'm using banana plugs, so there are no stray cable strands.

Comment

• mike c
        • Dec 2005

is the 1066 plugged into a voltage regulator or power conditioner or transformer?

if yes, is the power unit capable of handling more than 1000w?

I managed to get my 1066 into protect mode for 2 seconds ... Im guessing its the power unit (it's 1000w) but counting the tv and subwoofer I have plugged in, it was definitely insufficient.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

If it's always A that faults, try moving A wires to C and see if something else faults.

Kevin D.

Comment

• vaci
            • May 2006

Kevin,

your suggestion to use channel C rather than channel A seems to have worked - I left the amp playing all day yesterday and the protection circuit didn't kick in once.

One thing I noticed,which may or may not be relevant, is that when switching the amp on or off, the protection light on channel A is always the last to fade out.

Guess I will have to talk to Rotel or my dealer as it looks more like a fault than a power problem...

Vaci

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"