X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlstrass
    • Apr 2007

Twins On The Way - RL-P's

Finally took the RL-P's out of the car and they're moving into the HT to replace 4 Tempests.

I'm already regretting not doing sono's this time, but I've been building so many car boxes I decided to go with BB. Not really thinking about what a pain boxes this size would be. I could have had the sono's done in one night. Live and learn :roll:

Boxes are 1.5" thick with 3 window braces, 10^3 tuned to 19Hz, using a single 8" port upfiring for each one. Subs are downfiring and boxes will be placed side by side in a corner. I went for a little higher tune as I do listen to a lot of music and liked the extra 2-3dB boost in the middle freqs with that tune.

HD only had 5 sheets of BB left and to say they were warped is an understatement. I've never struggled this much and had to get rather creative, even using a hydraulic bottle jack to flex the panels into place a few times.

Welded up some legs for the casters, so subs will sit 5" off the floor.

Boxes are far from pretty and will stay naked for a while as I just want to enjoy my HT already. 2nd box probably won't be finished until Saturday though as I'm too busy right now.

Here's a few pics, and again I know they're not "pretty" :B

• mlstrass
    • Apr 2007

Car sub still hasn't arrived, so I'm going to finish up the 2nd box tonight. Will only be giving them 400watts each for now off a Hypex plate amp. Will probably get an EP2500 soon to get the full potential out of them.

Big thanks to Ryan for modeling some sims for me!!!

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Looking good. I like your raised port flange, looks good. I'm guessing you'll be impressed just by your current plate amp.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Looking good ...... :T

Don't be surprised if the castors rattle....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Don't be surprised if the castors rattle....
          I warned him. :lol:
          - Ryan

Comment

• mlstrass
            • Apr 2007

Nothing a little duct tape won't cure once the enclosures are in place :B

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mlstrass
              Nothing a little duct tape won't cure once the enclosures are in place :B
              Yep, or a big pile of "Great Stuff" foam....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mlstrass
                • Apr 2007

Finally got them in the house and hooked up. Initial impressions on music are VERY good, feeding them 400watts each. Did everything from 80's metal, dance, hip hop, etc...

VERY clean sounding and lots of impact. Probably won't get to do any movie demos until tomorrow night though. Quite happy with my efforts. Not sure yet if I'll want to throw more power at them as stuff is already falling off the walls/shelves, but that's a good thing of course!!!

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

You need to keep feeding them more power until the box hoops up and down.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• mlstrass
                    • Apr 2007

Going to take a LOT to do that as they probably weigh 200+ pounds each.

Might watch "The Haunting" later tonight as I know that'll give em a workout.

Comment

• engr_dave
                      • Dec 2005

You had a pair of Rl-p 15s in a car? :blink:
                      If you're into that much bass, you probably want to feed them more power for HT. A Crown K2 (1250wpc @ 2 ohms) driving two 10 cuft ported Rl-p's should be enough to scare your neighbors. :W

Comment

• mlstrass
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by engr_dave
                        You had a pair of Rl-p 15s in a car? :blink:
                        If you're into that much bass, you probably want to feed them more power for HT. A Crown K2 (1250wpc @ 2 ohms) driving two 10 cuft ported Rl-p's should be enough to scare your neighbors. :W
                        Actually they weren't that loud in the car. Had very good SQ, but lacked in output at times when I was in the mood for getting very loud. I knew they'd be moving into the house, so I wasn't worried. Replacing them with a single 15" that should give me what I'm looking for.

I do agree about more power for the RL-P's though as I really like to be punched in the chest and they do that now, but of course I want more :B The house is already taking a severe beating, so I'll hold off until I'm in a dedicated HT room with nothing on the walls.

I'll probably do the EP2500 when the time comes...

Comment

• mlstrass
                          • Apr 2007

Had a guy from work stop over tonight. He asked why I downgraded from 4 subs to 2 subs, so a proper demo was in order.

Did the depth charges again from U-571, AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip DTS DVD as INSANE volumes, and some other stuff.

He literally couldn't comprehend that 2 subs were so much louder and sounded so much better. I then told him that I'm feeding them about 1/2 the power they can take.

I will also say this: I was impressed beyond belief as I really leaned on them and they answered without missing a beat. I had a $hit eating grin on my face for about an hour after that.

Only bad part was; 2 broken pictures, a dented $50 pillar candle that fell, a bunch of books fell off some shelves, and even the salt/pepper shakers upstairs on the stove fell off. I LOVE IT!!!!

These subs perform beyond my expectations and will provide enjoyment for many years to come. My HT is complete, so now I'll just sit back and enjoy movie after movie, as that's what it's really about to me. I enjoy building things, but don't want to be on the neverending search like so many seem to be....

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"